Boma - Flavors of Africa Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Yield: 1 serving

Ingredients

1 3/4 ounces Absolut Citron
1/4 ounce Van Der Hum
Splash Cranberry Juice
1 each Lemon Twist

Method of Preparation

Mix together and serve in a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

ExCastMember

Six Hour Braised Veal Shank with Orzo Pasta, Toasted Sesame Seeds and a Soy Sauce Gla

GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA

Cítricos
Cítricos, Chef Roland Muller

Six Hour Braised Veal Shank with Orzo Pasta, Toasted Sesame Seeds

and a Soy Sauce Glaze

Makes 2 Servings

Ingredients

2 each - 24 ounce Veal Hind Shank, trussed and marinated - See Method

8 ounce Orzo Pasta, blanched

2 tablespoons Black Sesame Seeds, toasted

2 each Green onions Tempura, See Method

2 each Rosemary Sprigs

Veal Shank Marinade

2 tablespoons Black sesame Seeds, toasted

1 cup Rice Wine Vinegar

1.2 cup Soy sauce

1 tablespoon Chili Flakes, crushed

2 each green Onions, chopped

4 ounces carrots, diced

4 ounces celery, diced

2 cups Dry White Wine

4 ounces Fennel, diced

1 ounce fresh Cilantro, chopped

3 ounces Sesame Seed Oil

Marinade Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Place the trussed veal
shanks in a small upright container and pour the marinade over the top to
cover. Allow to marinate for 72 hours (three days).

Cooking Method

Remove the shanks from the marinade. In a large sauce pot, heat 1 tablespoon
of olive oil and sear all sides of the shanks to a deep golden brown. Add
the marinade to cover the shanks 3/4 of the way and bring to a simmer. Cover
the pot with a lid or foil. Place the pot in a 300f. oven and allow to cook
for four to six hours or until tender. Upon completion of cooking, remove
the shank from the liquid and keep warm. Place the marinade in a small sauce
pot on the stove over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce to sauce
consistency. Adjust the seasoning as needed.

* Do not over reduce the sauce as it will become salty due to the soy sauce
content.

Tempura Batter

4 ounces All Purpose Flour

2 tablespoons Corn Starch

2 tablespoons Baking Powder

1 teaspoon Sesame Oil

1 ounce Lime Juice, fresh squeezed

1 pinch Cayenne Pepper

Salt to taste

Tempura Method

Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Incorporate the oil and lime
juice. Adjust the consistency with water. Immerse the green onions into the
batter to thoroughly coat. Deep fry the onions at 350f. until golden brown.
Reserve warm.

Presentation

In a medium sauté pan, heat two tablespoons whole butter until it is lightly
brown. Add the toasted sesame seeds and orzo. Toss until hot and adjust the
seasoning as needed. Place the orzo in the center of the dish. Place the
veal shank on the bed of orzo and ladle the sauce over the top to glaze.
Garnish the dish with the Tempura onion and rosemary sprig.

ExCastMember

Vegetable Couscous

From Samad Benzari, Executive Chef OF Restaurant Marrakesh

Vegetable Couscous

Restaurant Marrakesh

Morocco Pavilion, Epcot

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 pound carrots

½ pound turnips

½ pound cabbage

½ pound zucchini

½ pound tomatoes

1 ½ ounces chick peas (garbanzo) pre-cooked

1 ounce onion, chopped

1 small bunch parsley, chopped

1 small bunch cilantro, chopped

1 teaspoon ginger

4 tablespoons oil

1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring

pinch of saffron

1 teaspoon tomato paste

salt and pepper to taste

1 gallon water

1 12 ounce box of couscous (available in grocery
stores)

Method of Preparation:

In a large pot bring the 1 gallon water to a boil,
add chopped onion,

oil, saffron, yellow food coloring, parsley,
cilantro, tomato paste,

and salt and pepper. Bring water back to a boil.
Then start adding vegetables as follow:

Add the carrots, boil 5 minutes; add the turnips,
boil for 5 minutes; add the cabbage, boil for 5 minutes;
add the zucchini and boil for 20 minutes, or as needed for
vegetables to cook.

To cook couscous semolina, follow instructions on
box.

To Serve:

Place couscous semolina on plate and cover with
vegetables and

cooking liquid.

You can also add either chicken or lamb to this dish. If you are adding
chicken or lamb, put the chicken or lamb in the boiling water with the
onion, oil, saffron, yellow food coloring, parsley, cilantro, tomato paste,
salt and pepper and boil for one hour, then add the vegetables and cook for
another one half-hour, or as needed for vegetables to cook.

Tatania

Coral Reef Recipes

Key Lime Vinaigrette - House Dressing at Coral Reef
Coral Reef, Epcot
Serves 8

*¼ cup key lime vinegar
½ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons of chopped basil
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of chopped chives
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Dash of Tabasco sauce

1. Combine all ingredients and blend well. You can adjust the spices to your taste.
2. Store in a airtight container.

* Can be purchased online: Gourmet Vinegars

Gratin Potatoes
Coral Reef, Epcot
Serves 4-8

4 potatoes, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon butter
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

1. Mix cream with salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Slice potatoes thinly and place directly in cream as you cut.
3. Toss with onions, mix well.
4. Arrange neatly in buttered small baking dish and pour remaining cream over the potatoes.
5. Cover with parchment paper and foil.
6. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tender.
7. Remove paper and foil, press down with another pan on top until cream starts to rise.

Creamy Lobster Soup
Coral Reef Restaurant, Living Seas, Epcot

4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
1 TB paprika
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups lobster stock
1/4 cup sherry
1/4 cup lobster or chicken base
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 cup lobster meat (diced)
1 TB brandy
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pinch chervil or parsley (dried)
In a medium pot, bring milk to a slight simmer; do not allow to boil. In small sauté pan, melt butter and then add paprika, and flour and mix well. Bake roux mixture in a 350 degree oven for approximately one hour. Heat lobster stock and sherry, then add base, cayenne pepper, to the lobster stock mixture. Then add the heated milk to this mixture. Add roux. Mix until well incorporated and thickened. Let simmer for approximately 45 minutes to one hour to cook out the roux.
To finish the soup, flame lobster meat in brandy, add heavy cream and allow it to simmer. Add mixture to soup and whisk in. Finish with fresh chervil or parsley. Dry herbs may be used, but add sooner.
Note: Rave reviews for restaurant version.

Tatania

DCL Recipes

Herb-Crusted Sea Bass
Lumière and Tritons, DCL (from Cooking with Mickey 2004)

Mushroom Duxelles
1 pound button mushrooms
1 shallots, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste

Finely chop the mushrooms to about 1/16" in thickness. Sauté the chopped shallots in the olive oil, add the mushrooms and wine, and cook gently until all the excess liquid has evaporated. Add the salt and ground white pepper. Reserve and chill.

Tomato Concasse
4 beefsteak tomatoes
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup Riesling wine
Coarse salt, to taste

Remove the core from top of each tomato, then cut an X skin-deep in the bottom of each tomato. Bring 3 cups of water to a rolling boil in a small saucepan. Submerge each tomato, one at a time, into the boiling water for 10 to 15 seconds, then put into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Peel the skin off, then cut in half and remove the seeds. Cut into 1/4" pieces.
Sauté the onions in the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat until soft. Add the white wine and salt and cook until liquid is reduced by half (to 4 tablespoons).
Add the tomatoes and gently simmer for about 12 minutes, until all excess liquid has evaporated. Put aside and chill.

Herb Crust
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon brandy
1 tablespoon Pernot
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 whole egg

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly; set aside at room temperature.

Sea Bass
4 sea bass (6 ounces each), cut into 2" x 3" pieces

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Place the sea bass on a baking sheet and spread the Mushroom Duxelles on top.
3. Spread the Tomato Concasse on top of the Mushroom duxelles, then place the Herb Crust on top.
4. Place the sea bass in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until the fish is firm and the crust is golden.

Cooks Note:
this impressive dish is perfect for dinner parties, as the mushrooms, tomato sauce, and herb crust all can be prepared ahead of time.

Baked Lobster Tail with Saffron Rice
Captains Gala Dinner, Disney Magic, DCL (from Cooking with Mickey 2004)

Seasoned Butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
2 small garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place all the ingredients for the seasoned butter in a blender and whip until the butter doubles in volume; set aside.

Saffron Rice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup parcooked long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's Converted Rice
1 2/3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (if using canned stock, choose low-sodium)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 pinch fresh saffron (6 stamens) placed in 2 tablespoons of white wine
Lemon wedges, for garnish

Sauté the onion in saucepan until transparent, add the white wine, and reduced by two thirds. Add the rice. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for about 18 minutes, until the rice has a "bite" and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Add the saffron-white wine mixture, and stir in thoroughly. Stir in remaining Seasoned Butter from the cooked lobster.

Lobster
4 lobster tails, 8 ounces each
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a pair of kitchen shears cut a lengthwise slit in the lobster shells. Pull the lobster-tail meat up and out of each shell, keeping the tails connected at the back. Season with salt and pepper, and brush meat with olive oil.
Place the lobster tails meat side down in a preheated sauté pan. Sear the outsides of the tail meat briefly, then place on a baking sheet.
Spread the tail meat with the Seasoned Butter, then place in a preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the meat thermometer registers 150°F.

To serve: Place the rice in the center of the plate. Top with lobster. Garnish with lemon.
Cook's note: since this recipe uses only the tail, look for spiny rock lobsters, which have most of the meat in the heavy tail. If you buy live lobsters, place in the refrigerator (but not directly on ice) until ready to cook.

bluesnut

Pancake Recipe

I did a search of the forum and got no results for a pancake recipe so forgive me if you have posted one already.

One of the best pancakes I have ever eaten are the ones at Riverside. We used to eat there a lot before they updated the food court. Their pancakes were great and just slightly sweet. I have tried to make different recopies at home, even just adding sugar to some I already use. But none taste like those. They may still serve them I'm not sure. The recipe also may just be a standard recipe across WDW resorts. But if someone could find it I would just be tickled pink!!! :eek:

tigsmom

I did a search of the forum and got no results for a pancake recipe so forgive me if you have posted one already.

One of the best pancakes I have ever eaten are the ones at Riverside. We used to eat there a lot before they updated the food court. Their pancakes were great and just slightly sweet. I have tried to make different recopies at home, even just adding sugar to some I already use. But none taste like those. They may still serve them I'm not sure. The recipe also may just be a standard recipe across WDW resorts. But if someone could find it I would just be tickled pink!!! :eek:

Were these the sweet potato pancakes, served with pecan honey butter? They also have buttermilk pancakes listed. I can get the first recipe, but there is non for the buttermilk ones. Those sound like generic ones.

bluesnut

No it would probably be the buttermilk ones. I never tried the sweet potato ones they sound good. But it was just the buttermilk ones. I know they were generic but they were awesome. Thanks for looking though.:wave:

Tatania

No it would probably be the buttermilk ones. I never tried the sweet potato ones they sound good. But it was just the buttermilk ones. I know they were generic but they were awesome. Thanks for looking though.:wave:

Disney is very good about answering recipe requests. Please contact them at guest.mail@wdw.disneyonline.com and if you get the recipe please come back and post it. Those of us who send in requests can't keep doing it on behalf of everyone else because Disney's probably going to get really tired of hearing from us, LOL. I also sometimes wonder if people get recipes and then don't come back and post them - which means we're duplicationg requests to Disney.

Thanks for contacting Disney with your recipe requests.

Tatania

Les Tartes des Chefs - Original flatbreads from the brick oven

Les Tartes des Chefs - Original flatbreads from the brick oven
Chefs de France, Epcot

Dough for Tart

½ lb flour

8 oz. rendered pork fat
1 ½ oz. yeast
.7 oz lard
Add the yeast to tepid water and stir. Mound the flour on a table, add a pinch of salt and 3½ oz of the rendered lard, work in with your fingers. Add the yeast and water and knead. Form a ball, cover with a cloth and place in a warm place for 2 hours. Work the dough out with the palm of your hand and roll to ¼ centimeter thick and a 9” circle.

Onion Tart
7 oz. Crème Fraîche
3 large Onions, sliced very thin
7 oz. smoked bacon, chopped and pre cooked
Pepper

Pour the crème fraîche over the tart shell, layer with onions and bacon, & pepper to taste. Put in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 400°.

Mushroom Tart
In oil, place sliced mushrooms: ake, Button & Portobello in pan and sauté until tender. Meanwhile mix together 3 cheeses, shredded: Parmesan, Gruyere and Provolone. Place mushrooms on tart, cover with cheese and bake at 400˚ for approx. 5 minutes.

Tomato Tart
2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 bunch fresh basil, coarsely chopped
Goat cheese, cut in pieces
Tomato compote (recipe below)
Pepper

On the dough, layer the compote, diced tomatoes and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and pepper to taste. Place the cheese pieces on top of the pizza and bake for 5 minutes in 400° oven.

Tomato Compote:
3 large tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
1 bunch fresh thyme leaves

¼ cup olive oil
Blanch the tomatoes in a pot of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 seconds, just long enough so that you will be able to peel the skin. Drain the tomatoes, and peel their skins. Then chop with the garlic and thyme, until garlic and thyme are minced. Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and thyme to the saucepan. Stir to combine, adjust heat to a simmer, and let reduce until thick.

Tatania

Mediterranean Seafood Stew

Mediterranean Seafood Stew
It's a Small World Dinner, DCL (from Cooking With Mickey and the Disney Chefs, 2004)
Yield: 8 servings

1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 sprig thyme, chopped

1 sprig tarragon, chopped
2 teaspoons turmeric
4 cups parboiled, long-grain rice, washed and ready to use
1 can (28 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
6 cups water, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup squid rings
16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup lobster meat, chopped
16 scallops
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 pound chorizo sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces on an angle
16 mussels, scrubbed clean
1 pinch saffron
1 cup green peas, cooked
4 cups tomato sauce, warmed
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Sauté the chopped onion in butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan until translucent. Add the garlic, thyme, tarragon, and turmeric.

3. Add the rice and mix until all the onion and herbs are combined. Add the plum tomatoes and salt. Gradually add approximately half the water. As the rice cooks, keep adding water until all has been used. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the base of the pan.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sauté separately in olive oil the squid, shrimp, lobster meat, and scallops. When all of the meat is cooked, set aside in a bowl. In the same pan, sauté the diced red, yellow, and green peppers and onion until tender; set aside in a bowl. Sauté the chorizo until cooked; set aside.
5. When the rice is nearly cooked, add the saffron and mix until all is combined and the rice begins to turn more yellow. Add the mussels. When the mussels open, add the lobster meat, the scallops, the squid, the sautéed vegetables, the peas, and half of the shrimp and chorizo.
6. To serve, mound the rice mixture onto a large serving platter. Ladle the warmed tomato sauce around the rice and garnish the top with the remaining shrimp and chorizo. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
A crisp Italian Pinot Grigio goes well with this.

Cooks Note: Guests at the "It's a Small World" always ask for this recipe. Don't let the long list of ingredients deter you. It takes a while to make, but the end result is a winner.

tigsmom

Disney is very good about answering recipe requests. Please contact them at guest.mail@wdw.disneyonline.com and if you get the recipe please come back and post it. Those of us who send in requests can't keep doing it on behalf of everyone else because Disney's probably going to get really tired of hearing from us, LOL. I also sometimes wonder if people get recipes and then don't come back and post them - which means we're duplicationg requests to Disney.

Thanks for contacting Disney with your recipe requests.

I know! maybe I need multiple e mail accounts so they don't know its me. :lookaroun

sensfan85

Hi ya folks! I having issues with the Flame Tree BBQ sauce recipes I've found and am wanted to know which is the correct (current) recipe. One recipe is posted here (from the Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs cookbook) and there seems to be a variation of the recipe found on Allears.net (http://www.allears.net/din/rec_bbq.htm)

I've made both, not know they were different, although I do remember the Allears one was more kecthupy with less spices. The cookbook version is a darker reddish-brown.

Does anyone know which is the correct recipe?

tigsmom

Hi ya folks! I having issues with the Flame Tree BBQ sauce recipes I've found and am wanted to know which is the correct (current) recipe. One recipe is posted here (from the Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs cookbook) and there seems to be a variation of the recipe found on Allears.net (http://www.allears.net/din/rec_bbq.htm)

I've made both, not know they were different, although I do remember the Allears one was more kecthupy with less spices. The cookbook version is a darker reddish-brown.

Recipes change with chefs and over time. Both were probably correct at one time. I've never eaten there so I have no base reference.

EDIT: I've checked a bunch of recipe sites and the ketchup-y one is the one that is listed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

There are 2 BBQ sauces at the Flame Tree. One is spicey and one isnt. That may account for the two different recipies. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom