Recent Beer Price Increases

pax_65

Original Poster
I've been going to WDW for almost 20 years. As a craft beer fan I've long been aware that beer prices in Disney are higher than your typical bar. But I've always figured, "Heck... it's Disney and it's vacation." and I'd have a beer or two while walking around Epcot or sitting by the pool.

BUT... I've just returned from a great trip to the World, and beer prices are WAY up. For a 12-ounce draft, most domestic macro brews are around $7.75 (Bud Light or similar) while imports or craft beer are typically $9. I couldn't resist a Jai Alai draft with dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse, but otherwise I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for beer. I reject it on principle - that's almost triple what I pay for really good craft beer from my local microbrew (and that beer is far from cheap, but it's better than anything Disney serves).

I'm not sure if it's another cash grab by Disney or a concerted effort to cut down on drinking in the parks (which I agree can be a problem especially in Epcot). Interestingly I didn't see any really drunk people this trip, so maybe the higher prices are discouraging excessive drinking somewhat - although my sense is that those people who want to drink too much will probably do it regardless.

Amos1784

While I agree prices are high this is not as high as other places I have been, and pretty typical for any tourist area. A Chicago Bears game Beers in the stadium are over 10 bucks and that is for a domestic (Miller), as well as most concert venues around here. If you go to any of our local breweries the cheapest you are going to find a draft is 6$ most are in the 6.50-9.00 range. :oops:

We typically order beer to be sent to the room with our grocery order, while its still expensive it's no where near paying at the resort at least for pool time and such.

pax_65

Original Poster
A Chicago Bears game Beers in the stadium are over 10 bucks

Absolutely - I agree. In fact I was calling Disney's beer prices "Ballpark prices". 🍺

I don't have hard stats to back it up but from my experience it feels like Disney has recently raised their beer prices to be more in-line with other tourist areas, while in the past the prices were a little lower - similar to how they price food, which seems a little lower than ballparks, etc., at least in my experience.

The problem is that while you spend 3 hours at a concert or sporting event, you can spend a week or more on Disney property. So like you, I got beer from the grocery store and put it in my room. I still missed having a beer or two while walking around Epcot though.

BoarderPhreak

When I was there last year, I noticed they had jumped $1-2/beer (depending on size) from the year prior... And they were already a bit high. There also seem to be a lot more of the smaller cups vs. the larger, which were at least "pint sized" (Solo Cup-ish). 😡

awoogala

Last time I went to Kings Dominion, the "beer" was $9 . That was for a can of Coors :::shudder:::. If the market bears it, they will charge it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They were very sneaky about this. It used to be $8 for a 16oz beer. Then they got rid of 16oz and most kiosks switched to 12oz. They brought the price down slightly to about $6.50 - so people could rationalize it a bit better.

They've slowly increased the price to the point it's back to $8 but now for a 12oz beer.

There are still a few places you can grab a 16oz but you have to look.

BuddyThomas

Don’t go to a Broadway show. This sippie cup of wine set me back $38.00 last week. 😜

Plowboy

You think Disney is expensive (and, yes it definitely is)? Last year we went to Vegas and saw Reba w/Brooks & Dunn at Caesar's Palace. Try $18.00/can for Coors light 24 oz.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy in line in front of us bought two at the stand right before the show. Made me feel like a cheapskate for paying just $8.00 for a bottle of water.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

I find this strange as well due to the sizing making it seem not as expensive until you realise how small the glass is.
In London (which is still not a cheap city) I expect to pay £4.50ish for a pint (ie almost 20oz), so about $6. In general a half pint is around half the price. A 12oz glass would stand out as a small beer measure in the UK compared to the standard pint.

But we went to Australia this year and that was expensive, it was regularly AUD$11 or AUD$13 for a pint (ie almost 20oz) which is about $8.50 US and that's just in a regular bar, not a really tourist location or anything that should be expensive.

lostpro9het

You all make fine points in regards to beer pricing in the parks and in regards to other entertainment venues BUT these ridiculous prices are extended to DTD and the pool bars. Last I checked the Turtle Shack at OKW was a far cry from a Chicago Beers game or even EC but yet their beer pricing is EXACTLY the same. This to me reflects a desire to cash in rather than ebb consumption. Just my input on it, though.

Hockey89

You think Disney is expensive (and, yes it definitely is)? Last year we went to Vegas and saw Reba w/Brooks & Dunn at Caesar's Palace. Try $18.00/can for Coors light 24 oz.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy line in front of us bought two at the stand right before the show. Made me feel like a cheapskate for paying just $8.00 for a bottle of water.
Same as NYC.... Arm and a leg for drinks at the theater or show....

Amos1784

You all make fine points in regards to beer pricing in the parks and in regards to other entertainment venues BUT these ridiculous prices are extended to DTD and the pool bars. Last I checked the Turtle Shack at OKW was a far cry from a Chicago Beers game or even EC but yet their beer pricing is EXACTLY the same. This to me reflects a desire to cash in rather than ebb consumption. Just my input on it, though.

Agreed, however most hotels I have been to at the pool bars you won't exactly find 2.00 drafts. Bottom line I think is prices just about everywhere have gone insane, especially on alcohol because they just figure if people want it they will pay. We stayed at the Hotel Del in Coronado just last summer, most cocktails are approaching 20 bucks at the pool bar, it was crazy. And like I mentioned above most of our local breweries are charging anywhere from 6-10 bucks a beer and I'm literally sitting in a brewery in a suburb of Chicago not exactly riveting entertainment. Yet, we still go and still pay...:rolleyes: jokes on us lol

DisDadWoz

I'm in Charlotte and many of the micro brews here (That are good) are going to be close to $10/each so I don't mind paying that at WDW. I do mind paying triple for a bottle of wine however. We tend to bring our own on the trip and maybe buy a glass at dinner.

pax_65

Original Poster

I totally agree - and I was at the Turtle Shack last week! You'll be in a park for a few hours (or maybe an entire day) but your hotel is your home for the duration of the trip. I'm not going to pay those prices for the entire week. If Disney is gonna charge theme park prices for the hotel, then they encourage people to get their beer off property. I saw many people bringing coolers to the pool this trip which is understandable...

pax_65

Original Poster
I'm in Charlotte and many of the micro brews here (That are good) are going to be close to $10/each so I don't mind paying that at WDW. I do mind paying triple for a bottle of wine however. We tend to bring our own on the trip and maybe buy a glass at dinner.

Really? I've been to some breweries in Charlotte and I don't remember the prices being that high. But admittedly that was a couple of years ago. Here in Pennsylvania most microbrews are in the $6-$7 range. A 4-pack of 16-ounce cans (some of the best IPAs you'll ever try) is $18, so under $5 each.

Even if the pricing is comparable, in general (there are a few exceptions) the beer Disney is charging $9 for does not compare to the microbrews you and I are enjoying. I saw both Key West Sunset Ale and Peroni being sold for $9 for a 12-ounce beer.

bunnyman

Actually, those prices aren't that bad. Attending local NHL games for the NY Islanders, during the regular season draft beers were $15, which they raised to $17 for the first round of the playoffs. Ouch!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom