Realistic Imagineering - WDW 5th Gate Project

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Oh wow, long time to wait! To be honest that's probably a good thing, it gives me time to get ready for my exams and stuff...
There is apparently an "official" competition schedule. One I was not aware of beforehand. In order to make things more accessible to everyone, and to not have two competitions running at once and competing with one another, the decision was made to combine them at the next opening time...which was May.

creacetivity

This is definitely a really cool concept. I'm new to all of this & I love all of the competitions that everyone takes part in. I enjoy the podcasts that @TheOriginalTiki does, too! It helps me get a sense of the 'behind the scenes' enthusiasm that everyone puts into these things.
I'd like to take part in this competition, but I'll most likely have to "watch" like I am now with 'The Sole Imagineer' due to my schedule. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's Imagineering unfold!

tcool

Yeah but there will be a cap on it. Like say ...one ;)

The point is to create your own unique attractions and not just copy paste other ones. However, if you have a very good relocation idea (like FotLK to Africa) then by all means do it.
I thought this was postponed till Mayish :confused:?

Disney Dad 3000

Wow this is such an interesting challenge! I really want to participate but i'm like four years late... but why is nobody post their realistic ideas here? are you moved and created a new thread for this challenge?

That spacemt guy turned out to be real piece of work and nobody wanted to work with him so this just died off. I think he got so sick of Disney though he went and started working at a six flags or something.

In all seriousness, there ended up being a pretty regular schedule of comps and in the last couple of years, actually some big forum wide projects similar to this park building that evolved.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Wow this is such an interesting challenge! I really want to participate but i'm like four years late... but why is nobody post their realistic ideas here? are you moved and created a new thread for this challenge?
Long story short this morphed into an aspect of The Creator Games competition called the 'Omega Challenge' in May/June 2015 - it took the exact same premise and made it something for eliminated contestants or folks who didn't sign up for the main competition to do.

And then using this same footprint, it became the basis for the winning project of Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 3, Disney's Inventus theme park, which is actually the location of the challenge going on right now in Sorcerer's Season 5

So while this was a random blast from the past it's ironic you bumped this now when it has relevance to Inventus haha

Miru

Can I participate here? I wonder what the theme of the new gate should be, before we pick attractions?

Outbound

Can I participate here? I wonder what the theme of the new gate should be, before we pick attractions?

It's really hard to come up with a 5th gate theme for WDW. Most ideas could easily work in one of the four other parks as lands. Villain's Park? Expansion to Magic Kingdom. Legends Park? Expansion to Animal Kingdom or EPCOT, depending on style. Star Wars Park? Expansion to DHS.

I'd be really interested to hear proposals for a 5th gate that are separate from the other four. But as it stands, I think there's too much going on at WDW right now to be anything unique. Even attractions have to try and avoid being seen as parallels to current rides at the parks. I think a more reasonable project would be another gate to one of the other Disney Resorts.

Miru

It's really hard to come up with a 5th gate theme for WDW. Most ideas could easily work in one of the four other parks as lands. Villain's Park? Expansion to Magic Kingdom. Legends Park? Expansion to Animal Kingdom or EPCOT, depending on style. Star Wars Park? Expansion to DHS.

I'd be really interested to hear proposals for a 5th gate that are separate from the other four. But as it stands, I think there's too much going on at WDW right now to be anything unique. Even attractions have to try and avoid being seen as parallels to current rides at the parks. I think a more reasonable project would be another gate to one of the other Disney Resorts.

How about an adult-oriented ABC, Touchstone, & FOX-based park? Call it “Touchstone Realms” or something. Perhaps don’t really use the Disney brand anywhere in the park and try to keep things separate? Could easily be Disney’s answer to the more mature experiences at Universal. Even more than Hollywood Studios.

Last edited:

stitchcastle

It's really hard to come up with a 5th gate theme for WDW. Most ideas could easily work in one of the four other parks as lands. Villain's Park? Expansion to Magic Kingdom. Legends Park? Expansion to Animal Kingdom or EPCOT, depending on style. Star Wars Park? Expansion to DHS

I still feel that a park similar to Tokyo DinseySea would fit in well as a sort of parallel park to the Magic Kingdom. The adventure and exploration aspect of the park works nicely as a veil to add more "thrilling" attractions. And the over-all themes of the park are as broad as MK's, so you'd be hard pressed to run into the thematic inconsistency that's an issue with the other 3 parks. In the end it's an easy sell as a new park without having to come up with such a drastic, high-concept new theme. If built now, that's a huge chunk of development budget that Disney doesn't have to worry about anymore.

as for the other resorts. Shanghai or Hong Kong would benefit greatly from a Disney Park that's themed around Chinese Legends, Folklore and History. Which, I know reeks of the mistakes of DCA, But I think if done to a high standard with a specific time and place to anchor it, it could be something special that can't exist in any other Disney Resort.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

I still feel that a park similar to Tokyo DinseySea would fit in well as a sort of parallel park to the Magic Kingdom. The adventure and exploration aspect of the park works nicely as a veil to add more "thrilling" attractions. And the over-all themes of the park are as broad as MK's, so you'd be hard pressed to run into the thematic inconsistency that's an issue with the other 3 parks. In the end it's an easy sell as a new park without having to come up with such a drastic, high-concept new theme. If built now, that's a huge chunk of development budget that Disney doesn't have to worry about anymore.

as for the other resorts. Shanghai or Hong Kong would benefit greatly from a Disney Park that's themed around Chinese Legends, Folklore and History. Which, I know reeks of the mistakes of DCA, But I think if done to a high standard with a specific time and place to anchor it, it could be something special that can't exist in any other Disney Resort.

I've always thought the same thing. I'm currently trying to make a Tokyo DisneySea equivalent on that giant space to the east of the Magic Kingdom parking lot (number 13 on the map of Page 1). I've got basic ideas for lands thus far; six to be exact.

The Settlement: Stand-in for Mediterranean Harbor. Designed as a base for S.E.A. Most notable feature is that the Adventurers' Club would make its triumphant return here, and can be accessed without a park ticket.
New Orleans Bayou: Stand-in for American Waterfront. Basically a more expansive take on Disneyland's New Orleans Square, featuring a Princess and the Frog dark ride.
Discovery Bay: Stand-in for Port Discovery and Mysterious Island. At last, Tony Baxter's concept comes to glorious life. Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are re-fitted to fit the theme of the land, thus making them the only clones from Tokyo DisneySea.
Heroes' Harbor: Stand-in for Arabian Coast. Themed around Ancient Greece. Featuring E-ticket Hercules attraction.
Pirates' Cove: Stand-in for Lost River Delta. A mix of Shanghai's Treasure Cove (complete with Battle of the Sunken Treasure) and Disneyland Paris' Adventureland; featuring Adventure Isle, a more expansive, pirate-themed take on Tom Sawyer Island.
Arendelle: Stand-in for Mermaid Lagoon (and for that matter, a stand-in for the upcoming expansion). Featuring Frozen Ever After, moved here from EPCOT and the Frozen Sing-Along Celebration moved here from DHS.

stitchcastle

I've always thought the same thing. I'm currently trying to make a Tokyo DisneySea equivalent on that giant space to the east of the Magic Kingdom parking lot (number 13 on the map of Page 1). I've got basic ideas for lands thus far; six to be exact.

The Settlement: Stand-in for Mediterranean Harbor. Designed as a base for S.E.A. Most notable feature is that the Adventurers' Club would make its triumphant return here, and can be accessed without a park ticket.
New Orleans Bayou: Stand-in for American Waterfront. Basically a more expansive take on Disneyland's New Orleans Square, featuring a Princess and the Frog dark ride.
Discovery Bay: Stand-in for Port Discovery and Mysterious Island. At last, Tony Baxter's concept comes to glorious life. Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are re-fitted to fit the theme of the land, thus making them the only clones from Tokyo DisneySea.
Heroes' Harbor: Stand-in for Arabian Coast. Themed around Ancient Greece. Featuring E-ticket Hercules attraction.
Pirates' Cove: Stand-in for Lost River Delta. A mix of Shanghai's Treasure Cove (complete with Battle of the Sunken Treasure) and Disneyland Paris' Adventureland; featuring Adventure Isle, a more expansive, pirate-themed take on Tom Sawyer Island.
Arendelle: Stand-in for Mermaid Lagoon (and for that matter, a stand-in for the upcoming expansion). Featuring Frozen Ever After, moved here from EPCOT and the Frozen Sing-Along Celebration moved here from DHS.

that's awesome! Here is what I've had in mind. Mine's a lot more clone-heavy. In my mind I justify it as a cost-saving measure so that the park can then go all out when the time comes to expand.

I would have kept much of the same ports and layout from the Tokyo version save for Lost River Delta and Discovery Bay. I do agree that it's a prime opportunity to bring Shanghai's Treasure Cove in place of LRD along with Battle for the Sunken Treasure, it would be a guaranteed draw of an E-ticket for opening day.

I also agree with Discovery Bay being a perfect opportunity to bring in Tony Baxter's original Disneyland concept. Although I'm a little scared of bringing that level of an E-ticket in the same launch time as the expanded Pirates and Journey. Perhaps turn Island at the Top of the World into a motion simulator?

I'd have American Waterfront be taken over by the Muppets and an attraction could be the planned "Muppet Immigration Story" from Disney's America. Or a Muppet version of the "Cops and Robbers Chase" wild mouse coaster. The SS Columbia could house a Titanic-themed restaurant or attraction of some sort (thanks, Fox), heck even have the Titanic be the ship docked creating a "New York that Never Was and Always Will be" theme to the whole area.

For a theme park about adventure and exploration on the high seas, Mermaid Lagoon is too perfect a fit and too magical in style to be taken off the roster. (I also like to think that it would free up space in The Magic Kingdom to import the Beauty and the Beast dark ride) I would also keep Arabian Coast just the way it is, including Sindbad.

Mediterranean Harbour along with the MiraCosta Hotel are perfect as a stunning entryway. Though this time we'd shell out the money to have it come pre-equipped with the fountains for World of Color.

Future Expansions or, phase 2 if you will, can include Motu Nui Isle a new Port themed to Moana, or if the purse strings are too tight, postpone Discovery Bay as a phase 2 addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom