Real Reason Why Imagination Changed!?

fastpass7300

Cast Members

Well then it sounds like the problems were all with the ride vehicles and not the "stationary" parts of the ride - or were there troubles with the scenes and the animatronics? Really what was so expensive after the initial investment? Also wonder if they use the same ride vehicles now how is that any more reliable? Perhaps they needed vehicles from another manufacturer - dare I name them - ETF ride systems?

One question I do have is the "cast members" who operate the ride. Is it not a good assignment? While they are always professional and cheerful, the morale to work an unpopular ride has to get anyone down. Do CMs have any say over what ride they are assigned to?

What was the main expense that was so out of control that caused this ride to be replaced? You would not have "wear items" like tires on test tract or water-related issues like POTC, really nothing beyond routine dusting and cleaning and replacing lights everything else at Disney or any amusement park has.

I thought I would offer an answer to the Cast Member question. I am a recent former CM. When you get hired as a attractions CM, you are asked in your interview what park and area/department you would like to work in. So if you were to choose EPCOT and the Future World West area then you could train on one of their attractions. In this case, you could get get Soarin', Land (Living with the Land & Circle of Life), Imagination (Journey Into Your Imagination & Honey I Shrunk the Audience, or Innoventions (Used to be separate area). FW West used to include Seas with Nemo and Friends & Turtle Talk with Crush but that has been moved to FW East, go figure.

CMs can not choose which attraction they get placed at. If you were given Image then there would likely be two rotations you would go through. One rotation takes you through all the positions at JIYI and the other would take you through those at HISTA. You could end up switching between these two attractions multiple times in a day depending where the comp deploys you. Both attractions can be boring to work at. But some CMs would rater be there to avoid all the guest issues involving heights, fast passes, long waits, and about 100 other complaints you put up with at major attractions. So the desire to work at these slow attractions depends on the pace you prefer at work. CMs are very quickly disciplined at the word of an irate guest.

I should also note that CMs can often train on other attractions in their area after a brief period of time. And, after 6 months you can request a transfer to another area or park. College and International Students do not get to choose their park or area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well then it sounds like the problems were all with the ride vehicles and not the "stationary" parts of the ride - or were there troubles with the scenes and the animatronics?
No, the vehicles were very basic dumb ones. The only moving parts were the doors, towbars and the wheels.

MythBuster

One of the big problems with the turntable was the fact that it had walls separating each showscene, not only on the "stage" where the blimps were, but also separating one train from the next. So this required a hanging wall "sweeping" along the track in front of and behind each train.
If it were simply a matter of a train running at the same speed as the blimp, it'd be far less of an issue. But when you add in rotating walls that are within the spatial "envelope" of where the ride vehicles operate, you can see why safety was a big concern. If the train sped up too soon or slowed down too late when entering/leaving the turntable, you'd have the train ramming the moving wall.

-Rob

There were no ride track motors along the turntable area, those walls behind the ride vehicles were actually pushing the ride vehicles along with the turntable so they were always at the same speed.

After they got most of the engineering problems ironed out in the beginning, the ride actually ran pretty smoothly in the 90's. The majority of the turntable problems were caused by ride "cascades", basically after a while if operations kept slowing down the unload portion, then the ride would back up, and each zone would then stop until the zone ahead would clear, then back up further and further, then the turntable would have to slow down or even stop until the exit zone ahead of it would clear, then the constant stopping and starting would cause problems then a ride stop would happen. The ride vehicles would have to be repositioned and the ride re-started.

ttalovebug

Hmmm...... I was going to buy the book "Realityland". But an outright lie by the author concerns me. For anyone who's read it, are there many inaccuracies in the book? Is it still worth getting?

janoimagine

Still very well worth it, honestly only those involved with the project directly will ever really know why they decided to change it, everybody has opinions. :shrug:

bgraham34

This past week I went on this attraction for the first time in years and I must say its terrible. I forgot just how bad it was. Disney needs to bring back the original.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmmm...... I was going to buy the book "Realityland". But an outright lie by the author concerns me. For anyone who's read it, are there many inaccuracies in the book? Is it still worth getting?
There are some incorrect facts, but no more than an official publication usually has.

Figment632

This past week I went on this attraction for the first time in years and I must say its terrible. I forgot just how bad it was. Disney needs to bring back the original.[/QUOTE]

WHile great it was outdated and had a lot of tech issues. They need to make a new version that is up to todays standards but bring back both Figgy and DF.

_Scar

No' Butters used his Imagination to bring him back to life.

I always thought that the guy was Dreamfinder and the pointless imagination song was a parody of a little spark! So cool that Matt and Trey referenced it!

BTW, pretty sure Butters ressurrects Santa who is viciously murdered during the first episode when the terrorists attack our imagination. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom