News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

ninjaprincesst

Did you by chance read the article?? About 26 uses of Disney’s recycled bags will be equivalent carbon emissions, plus it will eliminate the waste from the disposable plastic bags. I take mine to the grocery store or elsewhere at least twice per week and so after a year that’s 104+ uses... they are still sturdy and I have no need for liners in cans. Just dump the can into your waste bin and rinse it out if need be. Don’t be non-environmental just for the sake of going against the flow. I think had you read the article the take away was avoid cotton reusable bags, which is not the case at Walt Disney World.
But you also are not thinking about the Florida rain which will soak right through the reusable bag rendering it useless and ruining your purchase as well as the need to carry your own plastic bags, plastic straws, drink lid and apparently trash bags, it's not cutting down on anything except Disney's cost, all the plastic crap is just being purchased elsewhere so not helping at all.

ninjaprincesst

To my knowledge DLP has phased out the disposable bags. I haven't been since this was announced in April but was recently on a train originating from DLP and only saw reusable bags carried by passengers. WDW and DLR being next isn't too far-fetched.

I have no idea what they're doing with resort deliveries but as nearly everyone on the train had a disposable bag I wouldn't be surprized if they forced you to buy one. Buy one or carry your stuff. Which, come to think of it, is exactly what happened the last time I visited the Disney Store in FL Mall.
It would really make me mad though if I buy one to have my purchases sent to the resort and they put 7 trillion staples in it like they do the plastic ones where you have to destroy the bag to get it open.

ninjaprincesst

Another thing that I'm sure Disney has not thought about is that a lot of people choose to just take their stuff and not buy or bring a bag. I have witnessed in two different Disney stores people taking their pile of purchases with no bag , and before they got out the front door of the store their pile had significantly increased and either the cast members did not notice or did not care. That does open them up for a lot of loss in places like the Emporium on main street where it is nuts at park closing and so huge cast members can't watch everyone and sadly there are way too many dishonest people.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
What they should do is based on number of guests in your party, you get x number of small, medium, and large bags at check in. Told that there will be no plastic bags in parks and bags for purchase or rent are $10. Or have your purchase delivered to your resort for free.

I've always been partial to each party being assigned a knick knack carrier at check in, like most fine resorts. When we were staying at the Wyndham in Montreal, Maurice carried all our purchases with great aplomb. In fact, your purchase carrier could also lug around a tray as you aimlessly meander around the counter serve of your choice looking for seating.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Just like I said before...

Disney doesn't care about the environment. They simply found a way to make more money off of consumers and spend less money buying plastic straws, plastic lids and plastic bags.

This is also just more posturing to keep the environmentalists off their backs.
Just like installing little patches of solar panels while they drive gas guzzling, pollutant spewing, diesel busses, jet engine powered trams, a continually running monorail with a massive carbon footprint, the massive amounts of electricity used by the parks every day and nightly fireworks spewing pollutants into the air regularly.
Meanwhile, they kill more trees, don't plant replacement trees (2 for every one they cut down) to build more extensions to the parks.

Like a member said above, just virtue signaling.

Care for the environment is the only reasonable explanation for why they don't allow me to spray down the lobby with my patented mixture of triple concentrated Sevin and Orthene. They're so retentive that I can only guess that the mythical "carbon emissions" explain why they don't even allow me to plug in my 86 bug zappers (back of the envelope calculation based on a typical insect's attraction to light, etc. this should be enough to cover the Wilderness Lodge sans the new DVC section).

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hopefully we won't get to the point of having to carry our own toilet paper and handsoap!
What really annoys me is the lids, trying to walk with a beverage without one in a park full of people is not that easy!
I'm now considering collecting plastic regular lids, and see if they would fit Disney cups!

Maybe that's the next thing, Disney selling "themed" reusable lids! :rolleyes:

If only they would install reusable benches so you wouldn't have to keep walking with your drink...

Benches are reusable and green disney!!! Stop the war on benches!

BoarderPhreak

It would really make me mad though if I buy one to have my purchases sent to the resort and they put 7 trillion staples in it like they do the plastic ones where you have to destroy the bag to get it open.
Bring it back for an exchange the following day. They'll get the message... Eventually.

mdcpr

One more thing that used to be free, that now you have to pay for, so they can constantly raise the price on... who remembers when all you needed to "park hop" was a hand stamp?
I remember staying at the Dolphin for a business event and walking into Epcot to grab lunch at the Mexico pavilion. I don't recall buying a ticket to get in, and no one stopped me.

ImperfectPixie

Stop & Shop sells recycled, re-usable plastic bags with handles for $0.10 each...makes it less painful to pay for one if you forget to bring bags and don't want to use the too-small, handle-less paper bags. They're VERY sturdy, and we use them for pretty much everything we used to use the disposable bags for - but these are better because they don't rip easily like the disposable ones do. I don't think we've thrown one away yet. (And yes - I don't like the fabric ones because 1-you can't wash them well, 2-they get wet, and 3-germs...like if you happen to get meat and it leaks.)

It just boggles my mind that Disney isn't offering something like this - it would basically be free advertising, and they'd sell like hotcakes.

ninjaprincesst

Stop & Shop sells recycled, re-usable plastic bags with handles for $0.10 each...makes it less painful to pay for one if you forget to bring bags and don't want to use the too-small, handle-less paper bags. They're VERY sturdy, and we use them for pretty much everything we used to use the disposable bags for - but these are better because they don't rip easily like the disposable ones do. I don't think we've thrown one away yet. (And yes - I don't like the fabric ones because 1-you can't wash them well, 2-they get wet, and 3-germs...like if you happen to get meat and it leaks.)

It just boggles my mind that Disney isn't offering something like this - it would basically be free advertising, and they'd sell like hotcakes.
I think I have a supply of Disney plastic bags to last into the next century, I hate having to carry them around but I will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom