News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

tanc

It's not even officially announced, but I think back to plastic straws being removed too. Not saying I want reusable bags and I understand why it can be frustrating, but it's ultimately the mouse's decision

Disstevefan1

So without super-heavy use, my AK bag has started ripping. So this will go in the trash, and I will buy a new one next time I go. Maybe the increased prices mean the bags are stronger? :joyfull:
View attachment 397076
That’s the thing, Disney knows the “re-useable” bags will go to the landfill just like the big, beautiful “single use” bags that ironically got used multiple times.

This is just another thing that was free that Disney can now charge for.

Last edited:

aaronml

FWIW I am supportive of grocery stores and many other businesses moving to a “bring your own bag or buy a single use bag for $0.10” model, especially if the single use bags are paper. This has already been implemented in many parts of the country.

I am not at all supportive of “bring your own bag or buy a re-usable plastic one”. If a re-usable bag is the only option, it forces people who won’t / can’t re-use a bag to buy one anyways, and it will likely end up in the trash, which creates a lot more waste than single use bags.

At a theme park, most guests don’t want to have to carry around a reusable bag all day just in case they want to buy something. Many purchases are “impulse purchases” that weren’t planned in advance.

Vegas Disney Fan

FWIW I am supportive of grocery stores and many other businesses moving to a “bring your own bag or buy a single use bag for $0.10” model, especially if the single use bags are paper. This has already been implemented in many parts of the country.

I am not at all supportive of “bring your own bag or buy a re-usable plastic one”. If a re-usable bag is the only option, it forces people who won’t / can’t re-use a bag to buy one anyways, and it will likely end up in the trash, which creates a lot more waste than single use bags.

At a theme park, most guests don’t want to have to carry around a reusable bag all day just in case they want to buy something. Many purchases are “impulse purchases” that weren’t planned in advance.
This has always been my problem with the reusable bags, I always forget them, as a result I’ve got dozens of them, which means when I get a new one it goes straight into the trash as a trash bag, just like the paper and plastic bags did. It’s a good idea but unfortunately most probably end up as a single use bag also, that likely took more resources to produce.

SoFloMagic

It's not one metal spoon. A proper tasting involves using a new spoon for each dish in order to ensure they are only tasting the exact dish with no residual from the other dishes. Just one person alone can easily go through 20-30 spoons for a tasting at the Flavor Lab. Not only that, but even a properly washed/sanitized metal utensil can have a "taste" to it due to a number of factors, and using one for a tasting can influence the taste of the dish and skew the outcome.

That's why they've always used plastic spoons.
That's fine. If it's for practical reasons, I get it.
But don't try to tell me that washing a metal spoon is worse for the environment than making and distributing a plastic one. That's crap

Hawg G

I do. BS Eng Pulp and Paper Engineering with 28 years experience in recycling.

What do you want to know?
What percent of paper bags end up NOT in a landfill, compared to plastic ones?

Hiw many disposable plastic bas take up the space of one paper one in rhe landfill.?

LSLS

That's fine. If it's for practical reasons, I get it.
But don't try to tell me that washing a metal spoon is worse for the environment than making and distributing a plastic one. That's crap
Yeah I agree with you. Has anyone posted any actual science to back this claim up? All I've seen in the journals with my quick checks is that it's much greener using metal.

LSLS

Someone should probably show them the research that requiring reusable bags leads to more plastic consumption and CO2 emissions, not less, because the reusable bags themselves are resource hogs and people are terrible at remembering to bring them, even where it’s been required by law for years. You need to reuse that reusable bag dozens, hundreds, even for cotton bags thousands of times to save CO2 vs a disposable bag.
I'd say there is a caveat to that though. I know personally, when I've gone to disney/disney store, when they tell me to buy one, I say I'll just carry it. Same with like the grocery if I forget my bags, I'll just dump stuff into the car and bag from the car when I get home because I don't want any more bags. I can't imagine I'm alone in that, so it'd be interesting to see how many people decline bags altogether vs buying new nondisposable ones.

John park hopper

We recycle plastic bags --line the trash cans with them fill them with trash and through away. I find the whole go green nonsense ludicrous. If you are really serious stop adding people to our population -- too many people are the problem.

Smiley/OCD

I'd say there is a caveat to that though. I know personally, when I've gone to disney/disney store, when they tell me to buy one, I say I'll just carry it. Same with like the grocery if I forget my bags, I'll just dump stuff into the car and bag from the car when I get home because I don't want any more bags. I can't imagine I'm alone in that, so it'd be interesting to see how many people decline bags altogether vs buying new nondisposable ones.
That’s why it’s great what they do at Costco and BJ’s…all their empty boxes available for customers to bring their purchases home in…they save money on balers, and have plenty of environmental “carry home” containers…and they’ve been doing it for a loooong time.

Smiley/OCD

We recycle plastic bags --line the trash cans with them fill them with trash and through away. I find the whole go green nonsense ludicrous. If you are really serious stop adding people to our population -- too many people are the problem.
It’s funny that I just saw Gloria and Mike (meathead) talking about that on “All in the Family” almost 45 years ago…

LSLS

That’s why it’s great what they do at Costco and BJ’s…all their empty boxes available for customers to bring their purchases home in…they save money on balers, and have plenty of environmental “carry home” containers…and they’ve been doing it for a loooong time.

Yup, Aldi as well.

John park hopper

All the boxes we get at Costco go in a burn barrel along with all he trash mail and paper packaging waste. We save aluminum cans only because we can get 70 cents a pound and kitchen waste goes in the compost bin for the garden not because of save the environment but because it makes economical sense.

Smiley/OCD

All the boxes we get at Costco go in a burn barrel along with all he trash mail and paper packaging waste. We save aluminum cans only because we can get 70 cents a pound and kitchen waste goes in the compost bin for the garden not because of save the environment but because it makes economical sense.
Burn barrel??

flynnibus

Premium Member
Someone should probably show them the research that requiring reusable bags leads to more plastic consumption and CO2 emissions, not less, because the reusable bags themselves are resource hogs and people are terrible at remembering to bring them, even where it’s been required by law for years. You need to reuse that reusable bag dozens, hundreds, even for cotton bags thousands of times to save CO2 vs a disposable bag.
An argument that only focuses on one of the key points... production.. vs the whole picture which includes "the material, its weight, the manufacturing process and how it's disposed of"

A reusable mindset can still adapt what packaging someone uses without a major pivot, while a throw-away culture still struggles with excess trash generation no matter what the packaging is.

Trash generation is still a far more significant RIGHT NOW problem than worrying about CO2 efficiency ... which is addressable with other choices.

Smiley/OCD

55gallon metal drum use for burning trash -guess NJ doesn't allow that. I see you are from Tom's River- after hurricane Hugo Tom's River came to Mclellanville's rescue and became our sister city. After Sandy we sent aid in repayment for their help
Yeah, that’s why I questioned that…no burning in NJ…the politicians are stuck going around the jughandles…lol but it does make you wonder if burning trash is not adding to the pollution and GW problems…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom