News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

Smiley/OCD

55gallon metal drum use for burning trash -guess NJ doesn't allow that. I see you are from Tom's River- after hurricane Hugo Tom's River came to Mclellanville's rescue and became our sister city. After Sandy we sent aid in repayment for their help
It is great that cities and people can put aside their differences and help each other out in their time of need…

Ricky Spanish

We recycle plastic bags --line the trash cans with them fill them with trash and through away. I find the whole go green nonsense ludicrous. If you are really serious stop adding people to our population -- too many people are the problem.
C38F2AC9-D264-4663-AD2B-6F5BD564B2DD.jpeg

Disstevefan1

We recycle plastic bags --line the trash cans with them fill them with trash and through away. I find the whole go green nonsense ludicrous. If you are really serious stop adding people to our population -- too many people are the problem.
I think Chinese government puts limits on how many can be born, so that’s covered.

They should make plastic bags out of the same soy based material they use in modern day wiring harnesses in cars that get eaten by squirrels and destroys cars.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, instead of using a sanitary disposable spoon (which is the SOP in kitchens all over the globe for health and safety purposes) we are going to increase the number of metal spoons required to be ordered/used and increase the water and chemical output used to wash said spoons each night?

Which one really ends up being more green? The disposable spoon in the trash or the additional wastes resources by having to wash an additional 5,000+ spoons across property each day?

Do you empty your sink for every dish you wash? Or do you keep reusing the same water+cleaning agent?

Do they ONLY use disposable utensils in the kitchens? Or do they actually use things like knives and wash them each use? Like everyone else...

I don't think there needs to be a radical addition of resources to keep a washing bin nearby.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also, we recently got a new waste receptacle at our house for “compostables”. And years ago already for “recyclables”.
So now, instead of one gasoline-powered truck coming to our home once a week to pick up the “trash”, we now have three gasoline-powered trucks coming to our house three times a week…!!!!! :hilarious:
Not to mention the need of the extra utilities, facilities and workforce to process it all…hey, but we’re goin’ green…!!!!! 🤪:hilarious:
There are reasons to reduce category A... even if it means growing category B some. This is a classic fallacy that because something isn't 100% perfect across all dimensions it's flawed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, the most eco friendly choice in Florida is Paper bags, natural, and biodegradable. They are more expensive then plastic bags and do use more water to make, but that’s not a problem in the Eastern US.
Yeah, but that water is not a problem issue is exactly why paperbags for someone to carry something around outdoors for half a day is a problem. Paper bags + rain = disaster for customers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not only that, but even a properly washed/sanitized metal utensil can have a "taste" to it due to a number of factors, and using one for a tasting can influence the taste of the dish and skew the outcome.
But your patrons are using those washed utensils too. So is it skewed, or aligned? :)

Vegas Disney Fan

I'd say there is a caveat to that though. I know personally, when I've gone to disney/disney store, when they tell me to buy one, I say I'll just carry it. Same with like the grocery if I forget my bags, I'll just dump stuff into the car and bag from the car when I get home because I don't want any more bags. I can't imagine I'm alone in that, so it'd be interesting to see how many people decline bags altogether vs buying new nondisposable ones.

Or they’ll cram as much as possible into the fewest bags possible.

Convincing people to use less seems like it would have a much bigger impact than dictating the type of bag they use. Whether that’s bags (that get used once regardless of what it’s made of) or spoons that get tossed in every to go order, even those that are going straight to a persons home full of silverware.

A trip to Taco Bell will result in a plastic spork (wrapped in more plastic), a dozen napkins, and a dozen packets of hot sauce going straight into the trash at my house, without even being used once, the paper bag seems inconsequential by comparison.

It’s one reason I love self checkout, I can get home with 3 or 4 plastic bags compared to the 7 or 8 the store would use. Often using 2 bags on a single item of milk, a jug with a handle. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ludicrous waste of time and effort on something that is worse for the environment. But then again, the entire "recycling" movement seems like it's virtue signaling when you read things like this:

Always remember - The only "green" Disney cares about is the color of US dollars.

Smiley/OCD

The article mentions NJ…I live in Jersey, and there has been a lot of pushback from the public with the ban…we’re getting inundated with reusable bags which are now taking the place of single use bags in landfills and the sides of our roads. In fact, some stores here (CVS) have starting offering paper bags again. To be PC, the pendulum moved too far in the other direction without insight.

LittleBuford

Ludicrous waste of time and effort on something that is worse for the environment. But then again, the entire "recycling" movement seems like it's virtue signaling when you read things like this:

Always remember - The only "green" Disney cares about is the color of US dollars.
I’m not sure you understood the point of the article you shared. It certainly isn’t saying that recycling is “virtue signalling”.

Why would anyone disagree with the uncontroversial statement that plastic waste is a bad thing?

flynnibus

Premium Member

What's your alternative? They didn't say USE MORE PLASTIC in these recent changes.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m not sure you understood the point of the article you shared. It certainly isn’t saying that recycling is “virtue signalling”.

Why would anyone disagree with the uncontroversial statement that plastic waste is a bad thing?
My point is - all this talk about recycling and "going green" is an absolute waste when the people pushing it are clueless and have no knowledge about what is and what isn't actually being recycled. Our trash/recycling hauler has cut back on what can be recycled recently and now encourages more plastic in the waste stream than 2 years ago. They even have cameras in the recycling trucks and will fine you if they find "unacceptable material" in your recycling bin, even if that material is, for example, has a #3 or #4 on the container.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What's your alternative? They didn't say USE MORE PLASTIC in these recent changes.

Current culture has dictated there is no alternative - No one is going to get rid of the things that make their lives better/more convenient/easier. I have no problem recycling and would love it if we did more, to be honest. I can't stand the throw-away society that we have become. And I'm far from a lefty tree-hugger.

LittleBuford

My point is - all this talk about recycling and "going green" is an absolute waste when the people pushing it are clueless and have no knowledge about what is and what isn't actually being recycled. Our trash/recycling hauler has cut back on what can be recycled recently and now encourages more plastic in the waste stream than 2 years ago. They even have cameras in the recycling trucks and will fine you if they find "unacceptable material" in your recycling bin, even if that material is, for example, has a #3 or #4 on the container.
I’m not denying it’s done badly. I hate the fact that many, and perhaps most of, the items I put in the recycling bin end up not being recycled. But how we get from that to slurring the very concept of recycling and waste reduction is beyond me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Current culture has dictated there is no alternative - No one is going to get rid of the things that make their lives better/more convenient/easier.

And that's why we have public policy changes... that include things that may not necessarily be popular, but are aimed at the greater good or forcing change over time.

Just because recycling rates are low does not mean 'do nothing'.

Vegas Disney Fan

They even have cameras in the recycling trucks and will fine you if they find "unacceptable material" in your recycling bin, even if that material is, for example, has a #3 or #4 on the container.

This is another area I think we fail at… how hard would it be to put a simple recycle / don’t recycle logo on all our labels?

We’ve had separate bins for trash and recycling for years now and I still don't know what bins to use for some items. Some plastic is recyclable, some isn’t, it would be nice to just glance at a label and know which is which.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And that's why we have public policy changes... that include things that may not necessarily be popular, but are aimed at the greater good or forcing change over time.

Just because recycling rates are low does not mean 'do nothing'.

But there has to be infrastructure in place to handle those changes. You can't just make a new policy and expect things to change overnight... unless you're an elected official in Washington DC. Then things just magically change because you passed a bill, right? ;)

Again, I'm not advocating "do nothing". But changing from plastic bags to "reusable bags" that are worse isn't the answer. Maybe Disney should actually lead for the first time in 2 decades and move to bags made from something like corn plastic, that are actually biodegradable over time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom