Re-Theming HISTK Playground

French Quarter

Original Poster
Someone mentioned in the thread about the upcoming changes to DHS that they heard the playground would be staying and that it might be re-themed to A Bug's Life. I just can't see that happening. A Bug's Life doesn't seem hugely popular and is somewhat outdated now. Also, Disney seems to have relegated it to AK.

So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on possible themes for this area.

I am happy to hear that it might be staying. I really love the playground, although the HISTK theme really really needed to be changed years ago.

(I'm not sure that this is the right board for this discussion but I couldn't think of another obvious place. I apologize if it should go somewhere else.)

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
While A Bug's Life isn't Toy Story or Cars popular, I just can see Disney seeing that a simple change. So if it survives as it is now, I expect it gets the Bug's Life layover.

French Quarter

Original Poster
While A Bug's Life isn't Toy Story or Cars popular, I just can see Disney seeing that a simple change. So if it survives as it is now, I expect it gets the Bug's Life layover.

Well, it would certainly make sense in that it keeps with the current perspective that you are teeny tiny and the world is huge.

I've been trying to think what else they could do with that perspective. I was thinking fairies, specifically Tink. That would also work.

Cmdr_Crimson

Someone mentioned in the thread about the upcoming changes to DHS that they heard the playground would be staying and that it might be re-themed to A Bug's Life. I just can't see that happening. A Bug's Life doesn't seem hugely popular and is somewhat outdated now. Also, Disney seems to have relegated it to AK.

I am happy to hear that it might be staying. I really love the playground, although the HISTK theme really really needed to be changed years ago.

Soooo...What's your argument? You like that it's staying yet renaming to something else would work.....Okay....Well let's see what Disney film has that can fill that void...There's Honey I Blew Up the..No.no..that the same theme...OH! Honey we shrunk ourselves ah dang it, yet again same idea......How about a Bugs....Life.....*sigh*...That's it..
5018885+_6e154eaac561bd046c3613b5b3c5f1aa.gif

French Quarter

Original Poster
Soooo...What's your argument? You like that it's staying yet renaming to something else would work.....Okay....Well let's see what Disney film has that can fill that void...There's Honey I Blew Up the..No.no..that the same theme...OH! Honey we shrunk ourselves ah dang it, yet again same idea......How about a Bugs....Life.....*sigh*...That's it..
5018885+_6e154eaac561bd046c3613b5b3c5f1aa.gif

Not sure what you mean. I wasn't trying to make an argument. I was trying to bat around ideas for what would be a neat replacement for HISTK.

Last edited:

doctornick

Well, it would certainly make sense in that it keeps with the current perspective that you are teeny tiny and the world is huge.

I've been trying to think what else they could do with that perspective. I was thinking fairies, specifically Tink. That would also work.

A Pixie Hallow idea would make sense except that's an IPthat Disney seems to be moving away from as well. There was supposed to be such an area as part of the FLE including a flat ride, but it was dropped.

The HISTK playground is actually pretty good and it certainly fills a role in that park. I don't see a specific need to get rid of it unless they need the space for some other project. The map that @marni1971 posted regarding the DHS plans listed the HISTK area (as well as the nearby Studio Catering Co) as "changes / enhancements" so it doesn't seem like it will be totally replaced. Re-theming to A Bug's Life has been a long standing rumor/plan which would make sense if they want to make that area of the park into a true "Pixar Place".

French Quarter

Original Poster
A Pixie Hallow idea would make sense except that's an IPthat Disney seems to be moving away from as well. There was supposed to be such an area as part of the FLE including a flat ride, but it was dropped.

The HISTK playground is actually pretty good and it certainly fills a role in that park. I don't see a specific need to get rid of it unless they need the space for some other project. The map that @marni1971 posted regarding the DHS plans listed the HISTK area (as well as the nearby Studio Catering Co) as "changes / enhancements" so it doesn't seem like it will be totally replaced. Re-theming to A Bug's Life has been a long standing rumor/plan which would make sense if they want to make that area of the park into a true "Pixar Place".

I agree that they seemed to have abandoned the Pixie Hallow idea. What about more of a Peter Pan set with you as Tink? I know that they likely won't do it but I think it's a neat idea.

I really do hope that they re-theme it to something. I agree it does work well. I remember the first time I visited, after avoiding it for many trips, and being so pleasantly surprised at how well done it was. But I think HISTK has certainly had its day. And if they are trying to basically re-brand the whole park, I wouldn't think they would want to leave it as such. However, I guess we have no way of knowing that until the time comes.

yoda_5729

It'll never happen due to contracts, but Ant-Man could plausibly have been an option. I think the playground just happens to be a very well done attraction for the film it's representing. Sure it may not be as current as other things are, but that's all the more opportunity to introduce it to children to young to have ever seen it. It's probably forgettable by many, but Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was one of the biggest live action Disney movies of all-time. Making it A Bug's Life doesn't add much, as Bugs life is already represented in Animal Kingdom, and isn't as current as many things as well. Pixie Hollow might work, as Tinker Bell would get her own place, but not sure they'd do that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It'll never happen due to contracts, but Ant-Man could plausibly have been an option. I think the playground just happens to be a very well done attraction for the film it's representing. Sure it may not be as current as other things are, but that's all the more opportunity to introduce it to children to young to have ever seen it. It's probably forgettable by many, but Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was one of the biggest live action Disney movies of all-time. Making it A Bug's Life doesn't add much, as Bugs life is already represented in Animal Kingdom, and isn't as current as many things as well. Pixie Hollow might work, as Tinker Bell would get her own place, but not sure they'd do that.

Ant-Man is likely outside of the Universal contract. Not sure if you are referring to something else.

Last edited:

French Quarter

Original Poster

I think Ant Man would make an awesome theme! It would make sense too if one of the phases included the Marvel Universe. That seems to fit very well with the new Disney Adventures idea.

I agree with much of what you say about HISTK. But I'm just not sure that the younger generations would be all that excited about it, even if you introduce them to the film. I mean, it is a great playground but not really because of the theme. Also, DHS is moving away from the idea that you are on a movie set. So, it would make sense for them to change it. If they don't change it, I'm ok with that and I will go back. I just have a very strong feeling that they probably will.

doctornick

Ant-Man is likely outside of the Universal contract. Not sure if you are referring to something else.

Not sure what you mean by "outside" but Ant-Man would certainly be prohibited for use at WDW. He's clearly in the same Avengers "family" as characters already used at Uni (Hulk, Captain America). IIRC, they did not show a preview for the Ant-Man movie at WDW while they did show one at DLR.

That said, if he were available for use at WDW, then I would agree that theming HISTK to Ant-Man would be pretty cool.

yoda_5729

As far as I know, Ant-Man would be under the Universal contract. Ant-Man was an original member of the Avengers, along with Hulk. Universal is using Hulk, and since Ant-Man is connected to that, it's almost assured they'd have him under the Avengers umbrella since he is an original member. (Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Ant-Man, and Wasp were the original members of Avengers, with Wasp naming the team.) I haven't been to Universal in quite some time, but at Marvel Superhero Island there is a huge mural of characters, and it's likely someplace on there is some representation of Ant-Man. Truth told, he is a historic character and not nearly as obscure as some would think, though he never has been a consistent lead of a series, except early on with Tales to Astonish, and even with that others like Hulk appeared frequently.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not sure what you mean by "outside" but Ant-Man would certainly be prohibited for use at WDW. He's clearly in the same Avengers "family" as characters already used at Uni (Hulk, Captain America). IIRC, they did not show a preview for the Ant-Man movie at WDW while they did show one at DLR.

That said, if he were available for use at WDW, then I would agree that theming HISTK to Ant-Man would be pretty cool.

You are correct, I posted that without doing my research first.

yoda_5729

Now, if Disney wanted to make an Ant-Man mini golf course, that might actually be allowed as long as it is not counted as, nor inside a theme park. Don't know though, and no I have not heard any rumors, I was just brainstorming.

The playground as is, I think works. If you keep the cool grass and larger then life props, there are few franchises you could base that off of. Though it's dated Honey, I Shrunk the Kids actually had a bigger box-office then the Little Mermaid did (they came out the same year). If they decide to keep it, which I would like, it'd be great as it's another very old attraction in MGM/Hollywood Studios. Keeping some of those around is important, as it allows people to show their kids attractions they experienced as kids. . Technically though the playground could even be moved, you could make a similar playground like it at All-Star Movies, and it would make perfect sense. The only real negative I have with it, is it's often closed, and often very busy. Other then that, I think it's great as is.

Fox&Hound

With all of the work this park is getting, I'd be surprised if it stays, which would be a shame. IMHO, every park could use a small, well-themed enclosed place for kids to play. I never realized the wonder of such a place until my daughter claimed the "Dumbo" interactive tent area as her favorite spot last year. Granted she is two, but it was such a blessing to have a safe, enclosed place for her to play where she is not running into people on crowded walkways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom