Re-Theming HISTK Playground

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
My guess is they'll get rid of it. Wouldn't be bad though to maybe a create a spot for another themed playground (maybe with toys from toy story) or something. Kids seems to love those things plus it's another small people eater...the one at AK is always busy

French Quarter

Original Poster
kids can just run around in ANYTOWN USA....i think if im paying 3 bills for my vacation we can skip the playground.

edit: one of the best moments of our vacation was at the universal studios curious George play area. grown men turning into water warriors =)

second edit: also had a blast at camp Jurassic play area....but in general i think these areas should be kept to a minimum.

But you have to think about it as if you are kid. At the moment when you need to burn off energy, you are in WDW, not Anytown, USA. And I have never seen anything like the play areas at WDW outside of theme parks.

DisneyFans4Life

I never went to this playground before my daughter was born, but now that I have a reason to go in there, I can say it's a pretty cool place and she loved it (she's not even two yet)! You would think a playground is the last thing you need to do at a theme park, but it comes in handy and kids have a blast! Just look at the splash park in NFL... I can see them keeping the playground area, but getting rethemed just because HISTK is outdated and kids young enough to play in there don't know the movie and probably have never watched it.

With a retheming, nothing is forcing them to keep the idea that you're shrunk; they're spending the time and money to retheme, so they can come up with whatever new theme they want. Thinking of some of the new Pixar movies that are coming out, they could do Toy Story, Cars, or even Finding Dory. Inside Out is also another idea they could run with.

French Quarter

Original Poster
I never went to this playground before my daughter was born, but now that I have a reason to go in there, I can say it's a pretty cool place and she loved it (she's not even two yet)! You would think a playground is the last thing you need to do at a theme park, but it comes in handy and kids have a blast! Just look at the splash park in NFL... I can see them keeping the playground area, but getting rethemed just because HISTK is outdated and kids young enough to play in there don't know the movie and probably have never watched it.

With a retheming, nothing is forcing them to keep the idea that you're shrunk; they're spending the time and money to retheme, so they can come up with whatever new theme they want. Thinking of some of the new Pixar movies that are coming out, they could do Toy Story, Cars, or even Finding Dory. Inside Out is also another idea they could run with.

Oooh...I love the idea of a Finding Nemo/Dory play land! The could easily make it feel like you are in the ocean,

Unplugged

I thought the original TSL art work had a blip of an image showing what looked like a splash pad. I could be wrong, been wrong before, will be again. But this makes sense to do a well themed but small area ala Casey Jr. where it's fun, safe, and out of the way of high traffic areas.

KDM31091

They could "re-theme" it to a Bug's Life pretty easily and keep the same general story (you are small, the yard objects are huge, etc). Not sure if they would, because it's still relatively dated -- HISTK is what, 1989, and Bug's Life is 1998 ish? So yes, it's newer, but it's still almost 20 years ago now. Not sure they'd bother. I would think it'd be more likely it would be completely redone.

Matt_Black

They could "re-theme" it to a Bug's Life pretty easily and keep the same general story (you are small, the yard objects are huge, etc). Not sure if they would, because it's still relatively dated -- HISTK is what, 1989, and Bug's Life is 1998 ish? So yes, it's newer, but it's still almost 20 years ago now. Not sure they'd bother. I would think it'd be more likely it would be completely redone.

The thing is, animation has a generally longer shelf life than live-action. F'r instance, in the 90s, The Lion King and Pocahontas were two hit animated films, among others. Still be watched and talked about today (the latter seems to be on TV at least once a month; I've lost count of how many times I've seen it this year). In the 90s, Twister was a hit live-action film. When's the last time anyone talked about Twister? It's not even meme-worthy.

Ignohippo

SERIOUSLY. Totally agree. Once again, not everything has to cost $150 million to make it a great attraction. These little play areas are the highlight of many young one's trips (and, after all, they're a huge reason a lot of people go on a Disney vacation).

Saying "you can go to a play area at Anytown USA" is like saying "Why do the resorts need pools? You can go to a pool at home."

And why hasn't it been re-themed yet? Because, in Disney's line of thinking, they would have to spend tens of millions to re-theme HISTK as A Bug's Life adequately (to Pixar's standards). It's total nonsense. Spend a just little bit of cash and get the thing at least re-themed. Having it sit there as a 30 year old property that few kids today know is far worse than the fact that the environment wouldn't be 100% accurate to A Bug's Life.

(oh, and while you're at it, you can have the net climb go over the backstage access road behind it and double the size of the thing. Or, better yet, have the net climb go over the access road and clear up a lot of that back corner for other things. Of course that's if Streets Of America weren't being torn down)

Sped2424

I thought the original TSL art work had a blip of an image showing what looked like a splash pad. I could be wrong, been wrong before, will be again. But this makes sense to do a well themed but small area ala Casey Jr. where it's fun, safe, and out of the way of high traffic areas.
Nope!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom