Re-looking at the Country Bears

Yeah, shutting it down for an extended periods of time to pretty much overhaul stuff: fixing animatronics, smoothing out their movements, sounds, work with the audio again, would be the best plan. The shape it's in now is a turn off to people and a lot of times if things arent working right they do close the attraction for a while for refurb (not ee haha) but once everything's back in shape i think people's opinions of the show in general would change, it is kinda strange but yes im gonna say it: Classic in the way the tiki room and CoP are classic. that is all.

Walt Disney1955

I think CBJ is hands down, the worst attraction in Walt Disney World.

The first time I saw it, I was not impressed at all. I thought maybe I was just having a bad day or something so on my next trip I gave it another shot and again, I thought it was horrible.

Why? Probably because of the out dated audio animatronics. I'm sure when it came out it was ahead of it's time and was considered awesome but now, you can hear the buzz and whrrrrs, and clicks of the 40 year old technology, not to mention the political incorrectness of bears drinking corn squeezins from gallon jugs singing about shooting Buford instead of whoopin him.

You know, Buford is only a dog right? Even so, the show is supposed to be taken lightly, not seriously.

Hey it isn't for everyone, fine. It is still popular though with a core of people. It has its audience. Again I will mention to people, what is it exactly that should go in there? An empty space? It fits the theming of the place.

Lastly, I agree the audio could be better (shouldn't take long to fix that) but the songs are epic. Having it be a modern day Taylor Swift type country would surely ruin it for good. The songs are what gives it the charm

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
You know, Buford is only a dog right? Even so, the show is supposed to be taken lightly, not seriously.

Hey it isn't for everyone, fine. It is still popular though with a core of people. It has its audience. Again I will mention to people, what is it exactly that should go in there? An empty space? It fits the theming of the place.

Lastly, I agree the audio could be better (shouldn't take long to fix that) but the songs are epic. Having it be a modern day Taylor Swift type country would surely ruin it for good. The songs are what gives it the charm

I like this guy! :D

I love the songs, never want to replace it. Modern country does not go with funny-looking singing country talkin' bears.. that would be scary.. :lookaroun

I'd agree with you too on what can go in that tiny theater! Nothing else of course, unless that can make a new animatronic show with HUMAN animatronics in modern country music, make them look a little funny. But I don't wanna see it turn into Woody's Meet & Greet, or Brer Rabbit's Briar Patch Jamboree! :mad::lookaroun:mad:

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

fngoofy

I do agree CBJ is a terrible attraction. It desperately needs new songs and music, the score is horrible and completely boring for this generation. It lacks the sing-a-long and upbeat feel that would make it a fun and cute attraction that kids and adults would enjoy. Like I stated before, for anyone even thinking about complaining about something at Disney World, don't ruin a cast member's day complaining about something they have no control over. Complain to Guest Relations, it is their job to listen to your feedback. And take the SURVEYS whenever you see a surveyer in the park. That is the only way anything will ever change at Disney World.

While the AAs do need to be redone, the music is the key to this attraction.
If they changed the songs it would loose its appeal.

If you have not listened to the words, you are missing out on some funny, funny stuff. Each song is a gem of old school country/humor, packed into 30 seconds.

Here's the details,

THE BEAR BAND SERENADE
Lyrics by Xavier Atencio. Music by George Bruns

The Bear Band bears will play now
In the good ol' key of G.
Zeek and Zeb and Ted and Fred
And a bear named Tennessee.

Zeek's a-twangin' on the banjo
And a-tappin' with his feet.
While bangin' on a dishpan
With a real ol' country beat.

Zeb's a-sawin' on the fiddle
With a crooked hickory bow.
When the spirit moves that bruin,
He can make that fiddle go.

Brother Ted is on the corn jug.
Now, I mean that bear can blow.
He also plays the washboard
With a handle of a hoe.

And big Fred's playin' mouth harp.
He plays it kinda sad.
He never took a lesson,
He just picked it up from Dad.

And li'l ol' Tennessee Bear
Is a-featured on the thang.
Sounds just like a guitar,
But it's only got one string.

So clap your hands and
Stomp your feet and
Try to keep right with 'em.
One sure thing the Bear Band's go
Is real ol' country rhythm.

Yeah, clap your hands and
Stomp your feet and
Try to keep right with 'em.
One sure thing the Bear Band's got
Is real ol' country rhythm.

Ah ha!

FRACTURED FOLK SONG
Lyrics and music by Kenneth C. Burns and Henry D. Haynes

Well heres a fractured folk song,
Yeah, Butchered by two birds.

We wrote these lousy lyrics,
And we also wrote the words.

The chords are very simple,
In fact huh, there's only three,
First comes G then C, and D.
And then go on back to G.
But you gotta be quick.

MY WOMAN AIN'T PRETTY (BUT SHE DON'T SWEAR NONE)
Lyrics and music by Frankie Starr and Paul E. Miller

[Liver Lips]
I got a woman, she's got me.
Whatever we do, we both agree.
She ain't pretty, but I ain't too.
The things we like are the things we do.

My woman ain't pretty, but she don't swear none.
She's kinda heavy, don't weigh a ton.
She's my woman, through and through.
I lover her only 'cause my heart is true.

MAMA, DON'T WHIP LITTLE BUFORD
Lyrics and music by Kenneth C. Burns and Henry D. Haynes

Mama don't whip little Buford.
Mama don't pound on his head.
Mama don't whip little Buford.
I think you should shoot him instead.

TEARS WILL BE THE CHASER FOR YOUR WINE
Lyrics and music by Dale Davis and Leroy Goates

[Trixie]
Tears will be the chaser for your wine.
After you leave this love of mine.
Bright lights and taverns,
That's where you'll spend your time.
And tears will the be chaser for your wine.

PRETTY LITTLE DEVILISH MARY
Lyrics and music by Bradley Kincaid

When I was young and in my prime,
I thought I never would marry.
But I fell in love with a pretty little gal,
And sure enough we married.

Atta-boy, Zeke!

Ring-a-ding-ding Mary,
Prettyiest little gal, I ever did see.
Her name was Devilish Mary.

What a gal!

Hadn't been married but about two weeks,
She got as mean as the devil.
And every time I looked cross-eyed,
She'd hit me on the head with a "shevil."

How sad.

Ring-a-ding-ding Mary,
Prettiest little gal, I ever did see.

What a pity.

HOW LONG WILL MY BABY BE GONE?
Lyrics and music by Buck Owens

How long is forever?
How soon is now or never?
How long will this heartache linger on?
And how long will my baby be gone?

ALL THE GUYS THAT TURN ME ON TURN ME DOWN
Lyrics and music by Plot and Powell

[Sun Bonnets]
Everytime I meet a guy who gets me shook,
All I ever get from him's a dirty look.
It's the same way, everywhere I've found.
All the guys that turn me on, turn me down.

All the guys that turn me on, turn me down.
Nothing works for me that I found.
It's the same way everywhere I see.
Nothing ever seems to work for me.
Nothing ever seems to work for me.

Doodle doodle do-do-do bum bump.

IF YA CAN'T BITE, DON'T GROWL
Lyrics and music by Tommy Collins

One night I left the wife at home,
And went out with the boys.
I was acting like a Don Juan,
And making a lot of noise.

You old lover boy!

A go-go girl caught my hand,
I said, "I can't. I'm a married man."
She said "If you ain't gonna steal,
You better not prowl."
"He's a born loser."
Don't do-si-do with a go-go.
If you can't bite, don't growl.

If you can't bite, don't growl.

HEART, WE DID ALL THAT WE COULD
Lyrics and music by Ned Miller

[Teddi]
Well, there he goes.
He hardly knows
The heart he's breaking.

[Henry]
Lovely, lovely.

[Teddi]
I talked to him,
But I don't think
He understood.

[Buck]
Oh, sing it gal.

[Teddi]
Oh, just forget
About the plans
That we were making.

[Henry]
My, my.

[Teddi]
Heart, we did all that we could.

You all come up and see me some time, ya hear?

[Henry]
Yeah. As soon as I find a ladder, I'll be right up! Uh-huh.

BLOOD ON THE SADDLE
Lyrics and music by Everett Cheetham

There was blood on the saddle.
And blood all around.
And a great big puddle
Of blood on the ground.

Hehehe.

THE BALLAD OF DAVY CROCKETT
Lyrics and music by Tom Blackburn and George Bruns

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee.
Greenest state in the land of the free.
Raised in the woods, so he knew every tree.
Tamed him a "b'ar" when he was only three.

Davy. Davy Crockett. King of the wild frontier.

Up through the woods, he's a marching along.
Making up yarns, and a'singing his song.
Itchin' for fighting, and righting a wrong...

OLE SLEW-FOOT
Lyrics and music by H. Hausey

Well, he's big around the middle,
And he's broad across the rump.
Running ninety miles an hour,
Making thirty feet a jump.

He's never been cornered,
And he's never been treed.
Some folks say he looks a lot like me.

High on the mountain,
Tell me what do you see?
Bear tracks, bear tracks,
Looking back at me.

Better get your rifles,
Before it's too late.
Bear's got a little big,
And he's headed through the gate.

He's big around the middle,
And he's broad across the rump.
Running ninety miles an hour,
Making thirty feet a jump.

He's never been cornered,
And he's never been treed.
Some folks say he looks a lot like me.

COME AGAIN (COME ON IN)

Lyrics and music by Tom Adair and George Bruns

[All]
We hope that you'll be coming back again.
That you'll drop in and see us now and then.
We've done our very best to please.
With just the "bear" necessities.

Come again.
Come again.
The welcome mat is always out,
'Cause seeing you is fun.

That you'll drop in to see us now and then.
We've had such fun, we're going to cry.
We just can't "bear" to say goodbye.

Don't forget to gather your belongings.

And you husbands, too.

It's been good to have you.

So long, folks.

Dj Corona

My family and I were there last week, and I have to say, we were seated to the far right of the theater, and the sound was horrible. It's been bad in the past, but never like this. On the way out of the show, a veerrryy unpleasant woman barked at me that, "That was the worst 18 minutes of my life!"​

I was there in summer of '09.

I don't think I'll go see it again until they quiet up the eyelids (and eyebrows?) on that show. lol Just snap snap snap and click click click through the whole show. Too loud

stargrl33

When I was there, the sound of the animatronics creaking was louder than the music.

There is nothing good about this attraction. And knowing the lyrics doesn't make it funnier. They need to do a complete overhaul, or completely get rid of it, in my opinion.

I'm as sentimental as the next person, but come on. Wasn't Walt Disney all about progress? There is nothing progressive about keeping things the same, year after year. If I wanted to see a WDW attraction that has remained unchanged since the park opening, I would build a time machine.

blm07

Install new animatronics and turn up the volume of the vocals. The only reason I enjoy it (very occasionally) is because I know the lyrics, and Big Al is cool. I don't know why they have such a hard time with cranking up the volume when it's needed.

thelookingglass

I was there in summer of '09.

I don't think I'll go see it again until they quiet up the eyelids (and eyebrows?) on that show. lol Just snap snap snap and click click click through the whole show. Too loud
My guess is you wouldn't hear this stuff if the music was at the right volume.

They seem to have a fairly bad problem with not setting attraction audio loud enough lately.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
My guess is you wouldn't hear this stuff if the music was at the right volume.

They seem to have a fairly bad problem with not setting attraction audio loud enough lately.

Yes, but if they can keep TETUNM's volume up, and can refurbish something as big as Splash Mountain every year, then they should do the same for good classics like this!

- WondersOfLife

disneydata

Yes, but if they can keep TETUNM's volume up, and can refurbish something as big as Splash Mountain every year, then they should do the same for good classics like this!
The audio problem is honestly partly the venue's fault. If the theater is empty, that show is LOUD. Once there are people absorbing the sound, it gets harder to hear in the back. It's just the way the room is setup and the speakers are placed. Maybe if they placed the speakers in different locations or made the room larger it would help.

As to refurbs ... Splash Mountain makes much more revenue and is more of a guest draw than the Country Bear Jamboree. In the past, it was a big draw because it was so new. Not so much anymore. That's one reason for no more Christmas show - it just wasn't bringing in any more guests than the regular show so it didn't make financial sense.

thelookingglass

The audio problem is honestly partly the venue's fault. If the theater is empty, that show is LOUD. Once there are people absorbing the sound, it gets harder to hear in the back. It's just the way the room is setup and the speakers are placed. Maybe if they placed the speakers in different locations or made the room larger it would help.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the sound was set up properly, a full theater wouldn't have any problem hearing the show.

DisneyNut2007

As to refurbs ... Splash Mountain makes much more revenue and is more of a guest draw than the Country Bear Jamboree. In the past, it was a big draw because it was so new. Not so much anymore. That's one reason for no more Christmas show - it just wasn't bringing in any more guests than the regular show so it didn't make financial sense.

Sorry, Christopher, but how many times do I have to tell you that you're dead wrong?! :mad:

The Xmas show ALWAYS brought in more guests than the regular show does and it WILL return!

It's obvious that you don't like the changeovers, but that's no excuse to go around making up such big fat lies just to justify why something isn't being done right now and to inflate your own personal ego.

So, Christopher, please do us all a favor and stop with the lies already! :mad:

disneydata

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the sound was set up properly, a full theater wouldn't have any problem hearing the show.
You are correct! I'm pretty sure the speakers are in the same places they were in when the show opened. The speakers themselves have been upgraded, but their locations remain the same.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster

heh, Tokyo got the best of the bears.. :hammer:

- WondersOfLife

SeaCastle

In its defennse, they will probably never build another Country Bears again. Musical audio animatronic-intensive shows are a thing of the past. I would not be surprised if it closes and Pecos Bill's undergoes a growth spurt. If it's receiving poor ratings, why pay money to maintain the attraction when you can turn it into a direct for-profit venue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom