Raya and the Last Dragon

aliceismad

I just watched it last night. My biggest complaint was there’s no consequence because in the end everyone is happy.

It’s like if the end of the lion king everyone comes back to life and mufassa tells scar “I mean sure you murdered me in front of my son but it’s all good, let’s hug it out.”

Also.. Raya and Rey sure seem like the exact same character at times.
But it's more nuanced than having a singular "villain" for whom consequences are needed to create a satisfying ending. There are lessons learned; there are character arcs. I appreciate that Disney is taking on some storylines that are different from the classic bad guy vs. good guy and bad guy dies in the end. I like that there is a Man vs. Nature/Force (druun) problem but also a man vs. man and a man vs. self conflict.

TrainsOfDisney

But it's more nuanced than having a singular "villain" for whom consequences are needed to create a satisfying ending. There are lessons learned; there are character arcs. I appreciate that Disney is taking on some storylines that are different from the classic bad guy vs. good guy and bad guy dies in the end. I like that there is a Man vs. Nature/Force (druun) problem but also a man vs. man and a man vs. self conflict.
Raya caused her father to be turned to stone. The shaved head girl tricked Raya and then killed the dragon. Shaved head girls mom did or said nothing to redeem herself.

Brad Bishop

I just watched it last night. My biggest complaint was there’s no consequence because in the end everyone is happy.

It’s like if the end of the lion king everyone comes back to life and mufassa tells scar “I mean sure you murdered me in front of my son but it’s all good, let’s hug it out.”

Also.. Raya and Rey sure seem like the exact same character at times.

Yep. That's where I landed (just watched it this past week).

I thought it was a really strong story. I like the morale it was trying to teach that, "It's OK to trust - don't assume the worst... etc."

... right up until the end and then it felt phoned in.

Exactly as you said, no consequences. Sisu should have stayed dead. That would have been a MUCH more powerful story. There was sacrifice because they couldn't get along - there was a price to pay because they couldn't trust.

Nope. Everyone comes back to life because: magic. The dragons all come back to life because: magic. Sisu, who was shot and killed, comes back to life because: magic.

Magic fixes everything. You just have to have magic. You can make whatever horrible choices in your life that you like and there are no consequences because magic will fix it in the end.

Outside of Sisu coming back to life, which makes no sense, why did the other dragons come back to life as they had established that the dragons sacrificed themselves to save the humans early on with the last bit of magic that they could muster. There was no "extra magic" to bring them back to life except: magic.

Such a great story that was ruined in the last 15-20 mins with nonsense.

It reminds me a bit of the "giveaway" at the very beginning of Frozen that few seemed to notice. The trolls say something to the effect of "sticking together" and "fear is the enemy". The family lands on: "Lock her up! Keep them separated. Fear!"

The trolls literally tell them what they needed to do and they go off and do the exact opposite. Not even like they were striving to try to do what the trolls suggested but fell short or things just went a bit askew - no, they do the exact opposite. ...but it had a fund song everyone sung over and over again for a few years.

Overall, I enjoyed Frozen, but they really should have not included the trolls scene at the beginning.

Ghost93

Since there is such a positive response to the film, I thought I might share that the people behind this movie will be working with Disney and Disney Animation for a long time. They already greenlit another film directed by Carlos López Estrada for a 2023 release date and will feature music from the Lopez couple.
I really wonder what Estrada's 2023 film is about. So far, we pretty much know NOTHING about it. I remember back in the day we would know about upcoming Disney animated movies several years in advance.

NateD1226

I really wonder what Estrada's 2023 film is about. So far, we pretty much know NOTHING about it. I remember back in the day we would know about upcoming Disney animated movies several years in advance.
Looks like you manifested some news (bad news unfortunately) around this. Although, TheDisInsider revealed that the film was tentatively tilted Foster.

Ghost93

Looks like you manifested some news (bad news unfortunately) around this. Although, TheDisInsider revealed that the film was tentatively tilted Foster.

Oh my gosh! :oops: I wonder what led to his departure. And also wonder if the project is now completely cancelled or if they'll do what they did with Brenda Chapman in Brave and have a replacement director.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom