Ratatouille in Epcot

CinematicFusion

Appropriateness for theme is not a matter of opinion. We can each hold a different view of what flavor of ice cream is best (World Class Chocolate), but our personal opinion does not alter the definition of a given theme to make it suit our preferences. It's a perfectly valid opinion that you would like to see Ratatouille in World Showcase, but no matter how strongly you may hold to your opinion, it cannot change the theme to make Ratatouille fit.

You can still advocate putting the attraction in France all you want, that's legitimate, you just have to do so with the understanding that thematically it just doesn't fit. That is no way suggests the ride wouldn't physically work in World Showcase or that it wouldn't be popular (or potentially even well executed). I never said anything like that. But there are far, far more appropriate locations within Walt Disney World to place a Ratatouille attraction, and many of them are like the Studios - longing for new additions.

it does fit...just not in your opinion. I'm cool with your opinion. Conceptually it fits, thematically it fits. It just not the ride you wish to have based on your opinion of what would work conceptually and thematically.

Just like the Thames River Ride, Rhine River Cruise, Mt. Fuji, Bullet Train/Godzilla ride concepts that have all gone through the rumor mill of possible World Showcase rides. They all would have highlighted that land...or highlighted in the opinion of some.
I could give you a list of why I think it works
You could give me a list to why it wouldn't.
We are talking about a ride that is never going to be put in Epcot. Heck Avatar Land is confirmed and that news first broke in Sept. 2011. It won't be built until 2017.
So, I'm cool with your vision and opinion. You have nothing to fear, this ride or any ride won't be built. It will stay exactly the way it is. You can rest easy.
These are just facts based on the reality that no new ride has been built in World Showcase since 1988. That was Maelstrom. Unless you consider the re theme of the 1982 Mexico ride that was done in 07 as new.

CinematicFusion

Boy, wouldn't it be great if there was already an unused pavilion just crying out for a new attraction? That way, closing Imagination for a redo wouldn't hurt capacity, and we could keep another 'toon out of World Showcase!

Oh....wait...

Hey...you work for Disney...there isn't anything I can do about it. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Boy, wouldn't it be great if there was already an unused pavilion just crying out for a new attraction? That way, closing Imagination for a redo wouldn't hurt capacity, and we could keep another 'toon out of World Showcase!

Oh....wait...

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I'm just excited to have something new. Your way sounds better though.

CinematicFusion

Rumor has been around for a while...

Themepark insider:
1.What about Ratatouille Dark Ride in Epcot France?
Walt Disney World: What are your thought on a Ratatouille dark ride put in Epcot in the France pavilion like the one rumored to be being the 2014 ride for Paris Disney.

From David Graham
Posted April 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM
With Paris Disney getting a rumored 2014 Ratatouille dark ride it got me thinking, why doesn't Epcot have this ride yet? I know we have the film, Impressions de France, and it seems if they put in a movie in a pavilion they don't put a ride in the pavilion as well. (anyone know why?) But looking at Google map, I think they have room behind the pavilion and could have the entrance go along the river. I think they could also tie the ride into Les Chefs de France where they already have a Ratatouille animtronic. Your thoughts?

Screamscape:
France Renovation - Rumor - (10/11/12) Is France preparing to get a new attraction soon? According to a trusted Screamscape source, they were at Epcot this past week and upon exiting the Impressions de France film attraction in World Showcase, they were approached by a survey taker to get their opinion on the aging attraction. Other than The American Adventure, I believe Impressions de France is the only other surviving original World Showcase attraction left untouched.
The following is just a bit of speculation on my part, but due to it’s location, I believe the backstage area behind the France Pavilion has a bit more extra space available to it that could be used for a future attraction if needed. Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a copy of the Ratatouille dark ride under construction in Paris be installed here. With the Paris theme and restaurant, there could be no better location.

CinematicFusion

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I'm just excited to have something new. Your way sounds better though.

why don't we split the difference and build the ride in France, and then go ahead and create an e-ticket ride in one of those unused pavillions. Then, after both those projects are complete redo journey into imagination.
That way, everyone is happy. Yes..for some sacrifices were made like building a ride in France. But, sometimes hard choices have to be made.

lazyboy97o

it does fit...just not in your opinion. I'm cool with your opinion. Conceptually it fits, thematically it fits. It just not the ride you wish to have based on your opinion of what would work conceptually and thematically.

Just like the Thames River Ride, Rhine River Cruise, Mt. Fuji, Bullet Train/Godzilla ride concepts that have all gone through the rumor mill of possible World Showcase rides. They all would have highlighted that land...or highlighted in the opinion of some.
I could give you a list of why I think it works.
You're confusing setting and theme. They're not always the same.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I feel kinda torn about this. I love the movie, and I think Ratatouille would fit okay into World Showcase's France, thanks to the movie's theme being built around French cuisine. But on the other hand...I'd rather have an Ireland pavilion and a Yellow Submarine ride added to Great Britain. You know, truly new stuff, not another clone. But if the Rat ride did get built in Epcot, I wouldn't complain too much, as long as it's a GOOD ride. I guess.

Now having said that, I'm one of those folks who likes WS just as it is. I always have a good time there. And of course I LOVE Maelstrom. In fact, I wish that every country in WS could have a similar, cool, country-themed dark ride like that one. That's what I'd want rather than the Rat ride. Come on TDO. You can do better than clones. WS deserves better. Be bold and take a risk. That was Walt's way to draw in customers. I'm tired of looking down the street at Universal for new, innovative attractions. :(

I am Irish in heritage and would love to see a full Irish pavilion. I also would like to see a future world remake before anything else.

wdwfan4ver

always like the idea of a redo of imagination. But, I think it would be better to create a new attraction before closing another down and giving it a redesign.
That is not a good idea with Imagination because the attraction's attendance is so poor that you are better off closing the attraction. The last time was at Journey into Imagination, it was a ghost town with cast members bored out of their minds. I went there in late August last year around 10:30 to 11:00 a.m. matter of fact.

Most people would want an attraction to redone instead of closing a building for good.

Next Big Thing

That is not a good idea with Imagination because the attraction's attendance is so poor that you are better off closing the attraction. The last time was at Journey into Imagination, it was a ghost town with cast members bored out of their minds. I went there in late August last year around 10:30 to 11:00 a.m. matter of fact.

Most people would want an attraction to redone instead of closing a building for good.
The attractions attendance is only poor because the current incarnation sucks so much.

Tom Morrow

A ride where you're as small as a mouse running through a kitchen is intelligent and cultural and not wacky and zany how?
This is precisely why this would be a stupid idea. Sure, the movie is not particularly wacky and zany and might be a passable fit. But the ride is not. Scurrying around as a rat around oversized props has absolutely nothing to do with France or French culture. Yes, Epcot and World Showcase absolutely need fresh, new attractions, but this is not the answer, and neither is changing Maelstrom to Frozen. It's the cheap and lazy way.

stevehousse

This is precisely why this would be a stupid idea. Sure, the movie is not particularly wacky and zany and might be a passable fit. But the ride is not. Scurrying around as a rat around oversized props has absolutely nothing to do with France or French culture. Yes, Epcot and World Showcase absolutely need fresh, new attractions, but this is not the answer, and neither is changing Maelstrom to Frozen. It's the cheap and lazy way.
And riding around a forest with goblins and gods is representative of Norway??? LOL

CinematicFusion

I agree, ride sucks. Disney hasn't done anything with it. I have a feeling that in 5 years from now imagination will still suck.

Lee

Adventurer
And riding around a forest with goblins and gods is representative of Norway??? LOL
It's representative of Norway's history and folklore. Perfect.
While they r at it they can also add a Mulan ride to China!

It drives me crazy that people b*tch and complain about no rides being added for years and then people go off and get mad that they are adding rides???

What is wrong with u people???
New rides: Good.
Wrong ride in the wrong place: Not so good.

I don't think the fan community is desperate enough (though close) to automatically endorse just any new attraction in Epcot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom