Ratatouille dark ride concept

ToTBellHop

what I would give for a new D/E Ticket attraction that wasn't tied to a movie!

Of course, everything at DHS is supposed to be tied to the entertainment industry...I'm not sure about Ratatouille for us, though. He's very popular (understandably) in France, but I think there are more popular franchises in the USA not currently used in the parks.

Kamikaze

what I would give for a new D/E Ticket attraction that wasn't tied to a movie!

The last true E Ticket to open at WDW is Expedition Everest. No movie tie in.

TSM, sure, tied in, and a solid D.

Star Tours, while a complete refurb, is still replacing the existing attraction.

And the fact remains that tying in with a proven property helps make sure the attraction is popular. Without that tie in, it is much more up in the air. Does it cut into the Imagineering and storytelling thats possible? Of course. But Disney has to make sure the ride appeals to everyone, not just fans of the parks.

devoy1701

That is alway preferable but Disney is in a syergy mode at the moment :hurl:

Synergy is fine...just let the synergy stem from the attraction every once in awhile! :D Look at what Pirates brought us! You would think that the success of this franchise would entice them to try out some more original concepts like that!

Kamikaze

Synergy is fine...just let the synergy stem from the attraction every once in awhile! :D Look at what Pirates brought us! You would think that the success of this franchise would entice them to try out some more original concepts like that!

Pirates existed for what, 40 years before it was turned into movies. Thats a long time to build synergy.

Now, I still think that Disney is missing giant opportunities by not launching concurrent everything for a new property at least once.

What I mean is, with a property like Wall-E, where it was clear it was going to be a hit, they should have had a ride, the movie, the video games, etc all ready to go and open at the same time. I for one would have planned a trip to the Wall-E ride the second I left the movie.

devoy1701

Pirates existed for what, 40 years before it was turned into movies. Thats a long time to build synergy.

Now, I still think that Disney is missing giant opportunities by not launching concurrent everything for a new property at least once.

What I mean is, with a property like Wall-E, where it was clear it was going to be a hit, they should have had a ride, the movie, the video games, etc all ready to go and open at the same time. I for one would have planned a trip to the Wall-E ride the second I left the movie.

So what? because it can take awhile they should abandon the concept of coming up with an original idea for a ride? I don't buy it. I wonder why it took so long for the idea of making a movie out of the attraction to come about. but it was a winning idea. I don't think that it means that each attraction will need 30-40 years to build enough of a following to create a movie from it though, just that nobody thought of doing it or really gave the idea some serious thought. I bet the creative story-telling minds in WDI have storyboarded plenty of original storylines for attractions. I would love to see these original stories become just as prominent in new offerings at the theme parks as the movie tie-ins are.

The whole thing sounds like a particular oil drilling debate that has beein going on for 2 decades. :brick:

Kamikaze

So what? because it can take awhile they should abandon the concept of coming up with an original idea for a ride? I don't buy it. I wonder why it took so long for the idea of making a movie out of the attraction to come about. but it was a winning idea. I don't think that it means that each attraction will need 30-40 years to build enough of a following to create a movie from it though, just that nobody thought of doing it or really gave the idea some serious thought. I bet the creative story-telling minds in WDI have storyboarded plenty of original storylines for attractions. I would love to see these original stories become just as prominent in new offerings at the theme parks as the movie tie-ins are.

The whole thing sounds like a particular oil drilling debate that has beein going on for 2 decades. :brick:

I didn't mean that they shouldn't do it, just that using Pirates as an example of 'See! It works!' doesn't really work, since its 40 years in the making.

Choodles

Agreed. I shutter to think what SHDL will look like when it opens. Disney is heading in the wrong direction having every attraction have a movie tie in. When DL first opened you had tie ins in FL and that was about it 95% of the rest of the park was original attractions that became timeless. So timeless that films were made from them.

Kamikaze

Agreed. I shutter to think what SHDL will look like when it opens. Disney is heading in the wrong direction having every attraction have a movie tie in. When DL first opened you had tie ins in FL and that was about it 95% of the rest of the park was original attractions that became timeless. So timeless that films were made from them.

But how many of that 95% had no story whatsover? A lot.

Choodles

But how many of that 95% had no story whatsover? A lot.

Well I'll take original attractions like POTC, HM, HOP, SM, BTMRR, etc any day over having every single attraction have to revolve around a character. If Disney had their way we would have the following.

TT would get a Cars theme

UOE would star Mike and Sulley where they come to see how humans get there energy.

To late for TLS

Journey into the Imagination with Phineus and Ferb

LWTW would have something to do with A bugs Life.

There is a point that if you have all unoriginal attractions that it just becomes boring IMO.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I think that this would be a great ride to put in France in the World Showcase. The World Showcase needs some E/D rides.

PolynesianPrincess

While I love rides like PPF, Splash Mtn and TSM, I also enjoy rides like BTMR and SM that are not about a movie. I like a mix of both. I think if they did do a ride based on a movie, it wouldn't be Ratatouille. It wasn't that big here. Something more along the lines of Tangled or Cars I could see, but not Ratatouille.

GrumpyFan

While I love rides like PPF, Splash Mtn and TSM, I also enjoy rides like BTMR and SM that are not about a movie. I like a mix of both. I think if they did do a ride based on a movie, it wouldn't be Ratatouille. It wasn't that big here. Something more along the lines of Tangled or Cars I could see, but not Ratatouille.

Agreed. A good mix of both so there is some balance. Plus, it just seems like the Imagineers do better work as a whole when designing something that doesn't already have a story and characters behind it. Take for example some of the classics like, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Carousel of Progress. Then there's some of the newer attractions like Soarin, Test Track, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest. I'm not saying that attractions based on movies or characters from movies don't last, but they just don't seem to hold up as well in the long run.
But still, I think I would like to see a Ratatouille attraction, if done well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This ride has been on the burner for 2-3 years now. Trust me, it`d make a great much needed clone for both DHS and DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom