Rarely seen: Donald Duck

princesses_dad

Original Poster
We've taken 3 trips to WDW in the last 15 months, probably 9 total days in the parks, and we saw Donald Duck one time! We have put together nice scrapbooks with the kids and really miss a picture with Donald. Why is he so hard to find? Tons of pics with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and a host of other characters, but Donald should be a major one, right? Were we just unlucky, we skipped him the one time we saw him because of the long line (thinking we would see him again and never did!!!), boy do we regret that.

SpenceMan01

I have a picture in my photoalbum (http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=13123&cat=3131) of my fiancee and I with him and Daisy. It was about an hour after park opening right on Mickey Avenue (between the sound stages and the GMR) where the character trailers are. There was nobody around... we were the ONLY ones. I think they would have been upset with us had we not stopped for a picture (Donald's got that temper you know).

I think you just have to know where to look. If all else fails, ask a CM.

BigNormsMom

Donald Duck is my brother-in-laws favorite. So last September,2005, we purchased Donald t-shirts, and decided to wear them when we went to the studio. Walking down Mickey Avenue at the studio and there in front of his trailer was "Donald Duck" himself, he pointed to our t-shirts and waved us over to take some photos. We took several shots and even a few of him alone. We have been to the parks a lot, and I agree, we do not see enough of this mean tempered "lover".:lol: When Big Norm was a little norm, we were fortunate enough to attend the "50th birthday celebration" of Donald and we also purchased a t-shirt at that time; we still have it in a drawer. :sohappy:

MissM

I've seen him a few times in front of the Castle but rarely. The best time to find him is at the holidays. He's always got Donald's Tree Lot set up. (See this page for pic.)

He is a harder one to find though for being a major character.
-m

edit

BigNormsMom said:
When Big Norm was a little norm, we were fortunate enough to attend the "50th birthday celebration" of Donald and we also purchased a t-shirt at that time; we still have it in a drawer.
That's funny! I went to Disney for the first time as a kid in 1984. The year was Donald's 50th Birthday party! I still remember it. Heck, I even put up a page with scanned photos my mom took during the event. Check it out here. *grins* Too funny when you find someone who remembers it too.

pintraderpayee

Try Camp Minnie-Mickey at AK. Donald is often there in his safari outfit! The lines are usually short, too.:)

5 weeks 1 day until the "yellow limo" is ºoºrlando bound (school bus 27 teens:hammer: )

Atta83

Donald can be found at toon town in the hall of fame tent with minnie and goofy. He also is in his resturant at animal kingdom.

wdwfamilyinil

Last August we didn't see Donald out in the parks anywhere but we saw him at chef mickeys and donaldsbreakfastosaurus. We got wonderful interaction with him there, and it was out of the heat.

disneytati

I am a huge Donald Duck fan, and I usually miss him a lot. I always have to ask a cast member where he's gonna be, and the time. But if you do so, you won't have problems. They tell you the exact time and location.

robynchic

The Mickey Avenue trailer is *his* trailer. He'll almost always be there (I saw Daisy there once in a while, too, but I can't guarantee Daisy)

Donald is my favorite:) I was lucky enough to catch him when I was there in 2004:) Yeah so what if I'm older lol. I'll wait in line with a bunch of 6 year olds to see donald. hehehehee DONALD ROCKS!:)

no2apprentice

For years we tried to get a picture of Donald with our youngest, but it wasn't until we had breakfast at Breakfastosaurus that it happened. But my son was 12 at the time, and it just wasn't quite the same for him.

About four years ago, we asked a CM at Downtown Disney about why it was so hard to find Donald (a very nice and informative CM...just one of many topics that we covered). She explained that Disney was very careful with the exposure of Donald, because Donald can become more popular than Mickey with the kids. This happened in the 70's (for those of you old enough, remember Donald Duck orange juice?) and ever since then, Donald's exposure in the parks (and in merchandising) is limited. Not a lot, just enough to ensure Mickey gets more exposure.

That was the CM's explanation, and after thinking about it, it made sense to us. And even last year, the boys jumped at the chance to get this:

Attachments

• donald05.jpg
    donald05.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 32

tjmouse

I scanned through and didn't see it mentioned, but he can be found at Character Connection at Epcot on a regular basis now as well.

Mecha Figment

Donald no longer has a trailer at MGM. it was very recently converted to a little Einstien meet and greet trailer. best places to see donald are at animal kingdom and at Epcot character connection. sometimes he makes apperances at toon town.

GoofyMom2

Donald (along w/ Chip and Dale) are my 6 yr old son's favorite! When I asked him who he wants to make sure he sees during our upcoming trip, Donald was it!

We saw him at Camp Minnie Mickey in AK last year.....I love the characters in their safari outfits. We also saw him at a private meet and greet in Aug 04 that my husband's company had arranged for the families of the employees. It was really wonderful! We got private time and great pictures with all of the major characters, plus some others. Funny story: They had screens set up for pictures with 1 character on each side. Donald and Daisy were behind each other, if that makes sense. While we were waiting to see Daisy, Donald accidently knocked the screen over on Daisy! The CM there quickly put it back but the interaction between Daisy and Donald after that was hilarious! She was fanning herself, he was peeking around the screen acting mortified, asking her forgiveness etc. It was a moment to remember :lol:

We have a great picture of our family with Donald hanging in our stairwell....it was my favorite.

Rora

Donald is my favorite and I've been fortunate enough to get a few pics with him. Once, he was in a niche by the bathrooms on main street next to city hall....which I thought was odd. The only way you'd know he was there was if you were using the restrooms. And the second time was in Epcot when the double decker bus that has all the characters stopped.

On a side note...it makes me sad that there isn't as much Donald merchandise as other characters. Of course now with Philharmagic there is a bit more which has made me happy.

Sledge

Account Suspended
The week of Dec. 17th we found him at his Christmas tree lot outside of Toontown Fair. We also saw him at the Epcot character greeting. I didn't even know the Epcot character greeting was there for awhile. There's just a little sign that says come on in and meet your favorites. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald were there. Then Goofy left and Chip and Dale came out. Thought it was cool to get the fab-five in one spot.

HunnyPot

It must just depend on when you're there, because we saw him at every park on our last trip! We looked all over for Daisy, and never saw her though!

stankly182

We always see Donald in AK. Everytime we have been he was at Camp Minnie Mickey, and we have seen him out front after you leave the park in the afternoon everytime we have been also. I have rarely seen him in other parks, he is one of those we always are on the lookout for. I also wish I could catch all the Muppets at MGM, so far we have only had our picture taken with Kermit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom