random ride/show things that scared you as a kid

Heather71

My scariest moment was on Speedway. My big brother was driving and we were somewhere out on the track when I noticed a pool of liquid on the seat. Clearly it was a gas leak, right? And I knew this was going to go down like on tv when gas pools near a hot, smokey engine. I was literally panicking in wondering how we were supposed to flag down the grown-ups when my brother finally confessed that he'd lost control of his bladder. Which is just another kind of scary.

Jamie77

The Alien scene from the Great Movie Ride.
TGMR-25-Aliens.jpg

My parents allowed me to watch the Alien films...or at least the tv edited versions that would play on Friday nights on WDSU in New Orleans back in the late-80s/early-90s. Same great movies, only with the gore and language cut back. The image that stood out in my mind the most was Bishop getting ripped in half by the Queen.
So naturally on my first trip to the Studios, we went through the Great Movie Ride.....and the alien dropped down from the ceiling. That freaked me out big time.

I never got a good look at it because of all the smoke effects and where I was in the car when it came out. Thanks for the picture!

KraftServices

As a kid, the Alien scene in GMR always scared me.

As an adult, the gangster movie segment creeps me out more than anything else in the park. Or I guess, creeped.

GVentola

I was scared of things like Haunted Mansion, the hill on Pirates of the Caribbean, like some here, but one of the most unusual things to freak me out was the multi-armed shadow puppet in the Asia room of "it's a small world". I can look at it now and it doesn't bother me, but when I was a kid, I made sure to look at the opposite wall so as not to see her.

Disney Lover Addie

I used to be scared of the guns in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters because I thought it was gonna make me become a rubber toy. A couple years later I got a toy Buzz Lightyear gun for Christmas.

Melbelg

When I was a little kid, I was so scared of Haunted Mansion and the Dinosaur ride, because the carnotaurus animatronics scared me! The funny thing is that now both rides are in my top 5 of favorite Disney rides

duffduff11

The T-Rex in Dinosaur (still makes me feel on-edge today!)
The snake in Honey I Shrunk The Audience
The entire Alien scene in the Great Movie Ride
Also I didn't dare ride TOT until I was 14 years old! Got as far as the front of the fastpass queue and bottled it up until then!

Dapper Dan

Whenever my family rode the original Snow White's Scary Adventure (before they made it less scary) I was so scared I would close my eyes for the whole ride.

The louder, more numerous, and faster pop up heads in the Haunted Mansion, and the original, terrifying, faceless bride.

The witch in Magic Journeys shooting lightning out of her fingers at you. As if Magic Journeys wasn't enough nightmare fuel already.

The borg queen in Captain EO.

There's also Alien Encounter.

juniorthomas

When I was 5, my cousins told me that going on HM would mean I'd have nightmares for the rest of my life. Needless to say, 5 year old me wasn't particularly interested in an entire lifetime of fitful sleep, so I had no interest in going on that ride.

Also needless to say, I eventually got over my fears and went on the ride and haven't slept since.

KimAnnFran

wow, this hits home

I was always terrified of.....the animatronics in the water. I used to be afraid that if the ride broke down, we would have to swim with them in the same water and I was SO SCARED. This made 20K leagues really tough.....and the idea of walking by any animatron if the ride broke down terrified me and still does today just not as much as then!!!!

I also was afraid of the LARGE scene with the pirate ship in Pirates of the C. when it seems like you are on the open sea....of course now, I see that it wasn't all that big of a deal.

Finally, I was afraid of the Haunted Mansion.

Now, I'm just scared of Rockin Roller Coaster.

Dopey2484

wow, this hits home

I was always terrified of.....the animatronics in the water. I used to be afraid that if the ride broke down, we would have to swim with them in the same water and I was SO SCARED. This made 20K leagues really tough.....and the idea of walking by any animatron if the ride broke down terrified me and still does today just not as much as then!!!!

I also was afraid of the LARGE scene with the pirate ship in Pirates of the C. when it seems like you are on the open sea....of course now, I see that it wasn't all that big of a deal.

Finally, I was afraid of the Haunted Mansion.

Now, I'm just scared of Rockin Roller Coaster.

YES. Was wondering if someone else would say 20K leagues. It freaked me out to be underneath the water on a ride that could possibly break. With the animatronics, as you said. I still sort of panic just thinking about it. And then when they shut it down, I remember just being so curious as to the state of it. They put up that temporary Winnie the Pooh Honey Pot Playspot thing and I would ask my dad to lift me over the wall, to get a good look at the drained 20K Leagues ride! There are some good websites/photos out there on the internet if anyone else was as curious as me.

And Alien Encounter scared the living daylights out of me. Definitely one of the most frightening things I have ever experienced in my entire life. I was happy when they converted it! Although not happy with the result of the conversion :)

RHCP Mickey

When my little brother and I were about 7 and 5 years old, we went on Splash Mountain for the first time. My brother was a gigantic kid but he was TERRIFIED the entire way through the ride, screaming like he was on a slow float towards his death. Br'er Frog might as well have been a real-life man-eating amphibian. He wailed through the drop, then when we got to the bottom, he started laughing because he realized he was being a crazy person. 2 decades later, my dad and I still abuse him about it. Then I run away because he's got 4 inches and 110 pounds on me.

Pixieish

I was 15 the first time I ever set foot at Disney, but my 11-year-old is terrified of TOT (we asked him to try it once, won't ever ask him again), and Haunted Mansion (he has a thing against spiders, so he won't go near it).

Jamie77

When I was a little kid, I was so scared of Haunted Mansion and the Dinosaur ride, because the carnotaurus animatronics scared me! The funny thing is that now both rides are in my top 5 of favorite Disney rides

I'm scared of carnotaurus now as an adult. I have never fully seen the ride because I'm always looking away or hiding behind my hoodie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom