Rain: Do you poncho, rain jacket, or umbrella?

flynnibus

Premium Member
We like flip flops for the water parks but we usually do the good quality sneakers for trekking around all day and night at the parks. My poor old varicose veined legs couldn't handle the flip flops!:)

No, we bring flip flops to switch into for when things get wet. Be it a ride, or a storm. Then switch back :)

crosswagon

No, we bring flip flops to switch into for when things get wet. Be it a ride, or a storm. Then switch back :)

I will remember that for our next trip in December. We didn't have any rainy weather last year at that time but you never know and I probably just jinxed the next trip!:rolleyes:

BrittanyRose428

We use the yellow ponchos with Mickey on the back from the 80's or 90's, I think? But we've only actually used them in December when its cooler. I can't imagine using them while its hot and humid, that just sounds like a sticky mess. If its too hot for ponchos we just deal with it until it stops. Its just water, haha. Is it true that if your Disney poncho rips a gift shop will exchange it for you? The ones we have must be at least 15 years old. We don't shake them out though or do anything annoying to get others wet. When we go on a ride or into a show we just take them off and put them into a ziplock bag in someones backpack. I don't know why people would want to wear them during a show or ride, I can't imagine it being comfortable.

I_heart_Tigger

My camera bag gets it's own little poncho and my camera has a nice little rain jacket. I don't need anything. I may be sweet but I'm not sugar, I won't melt. I either rough it out in the rain (which I rather enjoy) or if it's gone on too long I take in an indoor attraction, shop or meal.

I generally don't care what other people do but I really can't stand inconsiderate umbrella users. If you are not at least a foot taller than me (and that puts you well over 6 feet) than watch where you are going with your pointy, dripping pole of death. I hate being poked and prodded by a stranger who is too simple minded to realize that their 4 foot wide umbrella means they can't squeeze past you without some irritation or injury. If you are in a line up...even an outdoor portion of one, close the umbrella, you are just a walking eye poker.

flavious27

It depends when we are at wdw. Anytime between oct to march will be a wind breaker. Warmer months will be a poncho that can be folded up and placed in a pocket.

mickeysbrother

Hello Poncho of course.... Its a Disney tradition... and it definitely keeps u dry other then your legs but u are wearing shorts anyways...

Snowmagic

Poncho's are what we used & will be in our luggage every time. WRT shoes we normally wear (this is going to be fun to describe) runners, but, they are not covered all in, "Keen" make them & so do many other shoes companies but am lost for words at present to correctly describe them(aqua shoes?). I wore them in the swimming pools & down the water slides & having a spur on my foot they were vey supportive all day, they also dried very quickly for the next days adventure.
Cheers

polynesiangirl

For the longest time I had ponchos in my luggage. I never took them out, we never wore them, and eventually I asked myself "why do I bother?" I actually kind of like rain, especially if it's hot outside, and I'd just rather get wet in between buildings than bother with carrying ponchos or umbrellas with us (and ditto others who have said that ponchos feel gross when it's hot and humid outside.)

I say this, however, with the caveat that I don't think I have ever had a total washout day at WDW. An hour or two of rain here and there, yes, but nothing where it was pouring all day, so my answer would probably be different in that case (I'd probably just cave and buy an umbrella if it was that bad.)

Florida_is_hot

I am only going to take my smartphone.
I will also have a very small plastic bag to keep it from getting wet.

Me I get caught in a storm ..... oh well I get wet no big deal.

Pooh Lover

We are "old school" ponchos......the old yellow Mickey ponchos they don't sell anymore. They were a much better grade of plastic and have held up pretty well. Many people have asked us where we got them. We take them to the parks every day, knowing the day we leave them behind will be deluge day.

LaughingGravy

Decently all around cloth 3" brimmed hat with a chin/hang on your back/neck string. Easy on/off, fits in luggage flat, and doesn't get lost on the high speed rides. Definitely keeps the rain away.
I also use bathing suit shorts with zipper pockets front and back that also have belt loops, so a belt happens as to not look like a bathing suit. I also have a super portable and breathable rainproof Eddie Bauer rainjacket, also with zippable pockets. It folds up very nice and small and fits on the belt if it gets too hot to wear.

ratherbeinwdw

Was there 3 weeks ago and it rained due to Debby. Ponchos are the way to go!!! 2 days of being in the rain and didnt get wet at all! Best 8 bucks I ever spent. :)
We were there for Debby also. Sunday was the worst. It never stopped raining for one minute; hard rain. We had rain suits from Big Lots for 7.00 each. It was great. They had drawstrings so the hard wind didn't blow your hood off and they had holes for air and pockets. We were able to ride every single running ride more than once with not one wait in line. It was great. I wore my beach shoes with velcro since they will dry overnight no matter how wet. Monday was a little, very little, better, but once again we had our suits so we could do everything with no wait. The first time I've every walked straight on The Great Movie Ride and Rocking Roller Coaster. The suits are really easy to take off and turn inside out until the ride is over without wetting all the other people, however, the other people were already soaking wet, so I don't see why everyone says they get wet when others shake out their ponchos. You just said that you didn't wear anything and were wet already.
For regular summer showers, we simply use the Wal Mart ponchos since the sides are sealed and they are longer than the dollar store ones. They take up no room and weigh almost nothing. When it's not raining, but the seats are wet in some rides, we use them to sit on to keep from having a wet bottom all day. Pirates is almost always wet now. I'm not sure if it's the extra splash they added in the ship room or not, but this is the first year we've had a problem with water puddled in the back of the seat. It wasn't like that in Dec., but it was in May and June.

rani8600

I always carry a small umbrella for those 4 o'clock showers, ponchos are just too hot and humid in the FL weather. Plus they cover up whatever carefully chosen outfit i am wearing that day ;)

Timekeeper

When it comes to Florida's sideways, monsoon-like rain, your best bet in packing light and staying dry is a rain suit like this:

502.gif

They're cheap, lightweight, don't take up any more room than a poncho, and keep you 100 times dryer. Also, they don't need to be taken off in attractions where CMs ask guests to remove their ponchos.

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom