Railroad closing?

marr5

Original Poster
During the construction of Fantasyland Forest will they be closing down the WDW RR or just be bypassing Toon Town Fair Station?

Rob562

Noone's really sure. The bulk of the Expansion is well away from the railroad tracks, and a lot of the stuff where Toontown Fair is now is part of Phase 2.

Late in the construction phase when the current TTF train station will get rebuilt/refurbed, there are a number of things they could due based on the construction requirements:
-They could run the trains like normal and simply drive past the TTF station.
-They could have some kind of temporary station set up adjacent to the current station to allow Guests access to/from the train.
-They could run a single locomotive in shuttle mode, shuttling Guests between Main Street and Fronteirland.

Unless part of the construction makes it totally impossible to move a train out of the roundhouse spur and past the TTF station, I don't see them *totally* closing the railroad.

I'll bet that the reality will be that we may see at least the first and last ones at SOME point. The exact situation might even change on a daily basis, depending on the construction schedule, what they're working on that day and how close to the tracks the construction stuff is.

-Rob

yekcoh_99

I can't quite remember where I read it but I do remember reading it would shut down for a bit. I believe because the only way in to the new FL is across the tracks. Sorry I don't have better details.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't quite remember where I read it but I do remember reading it would shut down for a bit. I believe because the only way in to the new FL is across the tracks. Sorry I don't have better details.

The FL expansion is entirely within the railroad loop. The only place it comes close is in the TTF area. Behind FL the railroad actually passes pretty far behind the current bounds of the park. Here is a aerial photo from Google maps of the back of the Magic Kingdom. The track is highlighted in Yellow and the expansion is roughly outlined in Red, including the TTF part.

FantaylandTrack.jpg

Dan

mrerk

Premium Member
IIRC, when they built MTTF they ran it in what Rob called shuttle mode. ie, They ran from Main St. Station to Frontierland Station, them backed up back to Main St.

yekcoh_99

The FL expansion is entirely within the railroad loop. The only place it comes close is in the TTF area. Behind FL the railroad actually passes pretty far behind the current bounds of the park. Here is a aerial photo from Google maps of the back of the Magic Kingdom. The track is highlighted in Yellow and the expansion is roughly outlined in Red, including the TTF part.

FantaylandTrack.jpg

Dan

Yes you are correct, I am saying in order to get all the new equipment, building materials, workers & god knows what I heard that the RR was going to be down for a short while. Not that the new FL was outside the RR boundries. Sorry for the confusion.

mp2bill

Yeah, they wouldn't close it down unless it was actually being effected by the construction (kind of self explanatory). However, I don't think it will be, because I think they'd bring whatever they need to do the expansion inside the loop at night when nobody's there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes you are correct, I am saying in order to get all the new equipment, building materials, workers & god knows what I heard that the RR was going to be down for a short while. Not that the new FL was outside the RR boundries. Sorry for the confusion.

I've never heard of shutting down transportation to facilitate delivery. What kind of delivery would require that the train be stopped? Train tracks are traversed daily all across the USA.

If TDO did shut down the railroad, I guarantee you that they would NEVER open it back up. They would see that the park survived without it and it would be a feather in some penny pinching accountants cap.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't imagine anything that would be so big that they couldn't bring it in on the service road that goes over the tracks. The crane they used to move the Pooh tree was pretty big and that was presumably brought in on that service road.

Biff215

If TDO did shut down the railroad, I guarantee you that they would NEVER open it back up. They would see that the park survived without it and it would be a feather in some penny pinching accountants cap.

While I understand your sentiment and the general feeling around here towards TDO, I hope you're being sarcastic. It would be a sad day for any Disney park when the railroad shuts down. It's basically where Walt started when building Disneyland.

Even if they do have to temporarily shut it down, I really doubt it would affect its future. I'm hoping for an improved and newly themed station when all is said and done!

Kamikaze

I've never heard of shutting down transportation to facilitate delivery. What kind of delivery would require that the train be stopped? Train tracks are traversed daily all across the USA.

I forget where it was, but it was stated somewhere that during a portion of the expansion, the RR would run backwards and forwards, instead of a loop. I don't remember if the TT station would be used at all, or if it was just going to be MS to FL.

mickey2008.1

While I understand your sentiment and the general feeling around here towards TDO, I hope you're being sarcastic. It would be a sad day for any Disney park when the railroad shuts down. It's basically where Walt started when building Disneyland.

Even if they do have to temporarily shut it down, I really doubt it would affect its future. I'm hoping for an improved and newly themed station when all is said and done!
unk is always negative, get used to his remarks

wizards8507

Don't blame accountants for penny-pinching. Those decisions are the responsibility of the finance and management MBAs. The CPAs in accounting are responsible for measurement & disclosure.

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I figured I'd defend my profession. ;)

dandaman

And if this were to happen, I would take it upon myself to rise through the ranks of the Disney Company hierarchy and do all within my power to open it back up. Problem solved. :D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Don't blame accountants for penny-pinching. Those decisions are the responsibility of the finance and management MBAs. The CPAs in accounting are responsible for measurement & disclosure.

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I figured I'd defend my profession. ;)

point taken.

Sorry to sully the wrong profession. :wave:

Tom

Beta Return
The bridge that passes over the trains behind Fantasyland was built to Highway Department standards (as evidenced by the un-magical superstructure you see every time you pass under it on the train). It's been traveled on by hundreds of buses, armored trucks and delivery trucks every single day for almost 40 years. They won't need to close the train down for deliveries.

However, it's likely that it will go into shuttle mode for a while, like it did when they were building Splash Mountain. TTF's station is a very half-a$$ed structure, as it was only meant to be there for a few years. It was cheaply built, and it looks cheap. So, even if the new train station will be in the same place, I predict they completely re-build it. During that time, they'll probably put up the "magical plywood walls" along the track and the train will pass by as long as possible. But anytime they're working on the roof/canopy itself, they'll need to avoid that area for safety.

As for moving the station closer to Tomorrowland, that would really screw up their block signal system. The loop is divided up into - I believe - 6 blocks, with 2 between each station. Right now, the stations are roughly at 1/3-points. If there were a station in Tomorrowland, not only would it contrast the theme of the area, but it wouldn't allow for a train to leave the Tomorrowland station until the next one had cleared MS Station, due to the proximity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom