News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

Stripes

1. I would submit out of ABSOLUTE necessity for two reasons...bleed of market share to competition across town...and the absolute mess fastpass + is already is and will get to the point of loss if they get more visitors as bob has undoubtedly promised...

However it is NOT carts Blanche. Bob did nothing for years...and a reasonable guess is That’s where he wants to be when the game ends and the chips are cashed.

2. Good!! đŸ€Ș
It isn't about taking back market share. It's a realization of greater potential guest volume. As competitor market share grows, there is higher opportunity for growth because they are often growing the market as a whole. This is the case in Orlando.

In short, it's not about petty competition. It's about money.

peter11435

1. I would submit out of ABSOLUTE necessity for two reasons...bleed of market share to competition across town...and the absolute mess fastpass + is already is and will get to the point of loss if they get more visitors as bob has undoubtedly promised...

However it is NOT carts Blanche. Bob did nothing for years...and a reasonable guess is That’s where he wants to be when the game ends and the chips are cashed.

2. Good!! đŸ€Ș
1. I won’t disagree that it’s necessary. But clearly you recognize that this is you moving the goal post.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So an extended renovation now? New M&G’s and new exhibits?

Judy and Nick pls? That’d be enough to get me to go over there every time I visit DAK
I wouldn't rule out Zootopia as the "slight thematic overhaul" focus. Keeping it basically the same except for some signage. I think Lion King is a lot more likely as Rafiki means it was already vaguely lion king themed and the new movie is coming out next year.

TabulaRasa

A mild thematic overlay, with one or two minor additions, may be on the way to the Conservation station area. Not sure if the potential, yet to be green lit, timeline would have it finished by Spring 2019 or not, but guests may have a new reason to take the Wildlife Express.
Sounds to me that those rumours about moving Bug's Land attractions to Animal Kingdom may have actually had some weight to it. Am I right?

jt04

So an extended renovation now? New M&G’s and new exhibits?

Judy and Nick pls? That’d be enough to get me to go over there every time I visit DAK

What if Nick and Judy built DAK toontown?

You can have this Armchair Imagineering. No charge.

CJR

A mild thematic overlay, with one or two minor additions, may be on the way to the Conservation station area. Not sure if the potential, yet to be green lit, timeline would have it finished by Spring 2019 or not, but guests may have a new reason to take the Wildlife Express.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Even though it's not a lot, it's just nice to know DAK is being looked at beyond potential Dinoland rework. Technically RPW was a (weak) overlay, so I take it that it'll be a decent step up. Hopefully what they move in will make thematic sense.

Animaniac93-98

I'm all for ditching the minimal Rafiki/Lion King branding. It was always a lazy, knee-jerk reaction to get people to the area after "Conservation Station" didn't sound exciting on its own.

Side note: forgot the park only opened with 4 rides (one of which quickly closed afterwards)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1. I won’t disagree that it’s necessary. But clearly you recognize that this is you moving the goal post.

Not at all...

I said they don’t WANT to build attractions because they are permanent cost without guarantee of profit.

That isn’t going change...the king is dead - long live the idiot nephew who worked on sitcoms!

But luckily for us they still run amusement parks...so sometimes the king isn’t gonna get his way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It isn't about taking back market share. It's a realization of greater potential guest volume. As competitor market share grows, there is higher opportunity for growth because they are often growing the market as a whole. This is the case in Orlando.

In short, it's not about petty competition. It's about money.

It’s actually all those things.

Their goal is to jack up The visitors...they’re not building this stuff to “make it luxury and decrease attendance”. ...what dopes🙄

But pulling shade back? Great!

Or staying the same but increasing the overall Orlando take with the competitors? Great!

...can’t lose.

jt04

People were saying all the same carp before they built Pandora, TSL, SWL (2 of them), MMRR, Ratatouille, GotG, Tron, major infrastructure builds, Disney Springs, 3 parking garages, a Skyway, 3 major new resort hotels, convention space, huge new restaurants. Almost all just at WDW.

They got a controlling interest in Paris, built a new park in Shanghai, major investment in all resorts worldwide.

Fox acquisition, film and animation making more than ever.

2 New cruise ships.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

eddie104

People were saying all the same carp before they built Pandora, TSL, SWL (2 of them), MMRR, Ratatouille, GotG, Tron, major infrastructure builds, Disney Springs, 3 parking garages, a Skyway, 3 major new resort hotels, convention space, huge new restaurants. Almost all just at WDW.

They got a controlling interest in Paris, built a new park in Shanghai, major investment in all resorts worldwide.

2 New cruise ships.

Yes that is a lot of investment but some people are very stuck in the past and the decisions made by certain leaders at that time. I for one appreciate all the love and attention WDW is getting now plus I either wasn't born or too young to remember certain nostalgic things about Disney.

Shockingly a lot of people my age on this board hold Iger and co to fire a lot of the times for something they probably didn't even experience. To be honest I would be more upset if I lived in Cali because DL really got shafted for capex not counting DCA improvments.

Last edited:

jt04

Yes that is a lot of investment but some people are very stuck in the past and the decisions made by certain leaders at that time. I for one appreciate all the love and attention WDW is getting now plus I either wasn't born or too young to remember certain nostalgic things about Disney.

Shockingly a lot of people my age on this board hold Iger and co to fire a lot of the times for something they probably didn't even experience. To be honest I would be more upset if I lived in Cali because DL really got shafted for capex not counting DCA improvments.

Investment is already returning to the DL R. SWL and Marvel, New parking areas. All with a reluctant city council.

Everything happens for a reason and Disney mgmt, including Iger have a lot of respect universally by people who know the deal.

Some here want to relive the "Save Disney" campaign.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

2 New cruise ships.

Of course some people were saying that...

Others were looking at the motivations of why they would or would not build things....and that gets you closer to reality.

Let’s meet up under Christ the redeemer for a caipirinha and find some common ground 😎

And you are way off the grid...

Nobody said they’d build an ill advised park in China?? Who
Nobody said they wouldn’t let Paris collapse? Huh??? What the hell?

Replacement of downtown? It sat in mothballs after they closed half of it and announced a replacement and screeched with the housing crash...
Somebody said “never happen”? Who?

Somebody said they wouldn’t build roads?
...or perhaps some people said they aren’t replacing monorails? Getting warmer there.

Nobody said they’d buy fox? Swap “wanted them to” in there and you’re real close.

I’m gonna say you’re tired...usually the effort is better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You don’t remember 2001-2011 when they added 3 attractions for four parks in WDW ...two of which actually worked?

You’re saying millennials are TOUGH on iger? Oh I gotta hear this one...

eddie104

You don’t remember 2001-2011 when they added 3 attractions for four parks in WDW ...two of which actually worked?

You’re saying millennials are TOUGH on iger? Oh I gotta hear this one...
I'm basing people's ages on their profile if they are not lying which a lot of the times is coming from the age range of 21-29. Not just this board but another one I follow a lot of the people in that demographic are very boisterous on certain topics. I'm not saying Disney should be let off free for neglecting certain elements of the parks or that people should just shut up and take it.

I like playing devils advocate and always look at the bright side of things regardless if you think it's a sinking ship. Some of those years we were in a recession so what would be the point of adding attraction if attendance was going to improve anyways until the economy got better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom