News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

MickeyMinnieMom

Sorry I didn't have the time to comb through the entire WDW forum prior to posting this rumor. I actually heard this from a recent source on Youtube and thought it relevant to the conversation. I'll remember my place next time and ensure that I spend a few hours searching the threads prior to commenting again.
My time on boards like this ebbs and flows, so I'm not always up on everything either. Sometimes we have other things to do in life, right? :)

This whole thing is just a bunch of strangers on an unofficial board talking about a theme park -- not our life's work! I wouldn't take it to heart one iota. Much to the dismay of some here already, I don't. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sorry I didn't have the time to comb through the entire WDW forum prior to posting this rumor. I actually heard this from a recent source on Youtube and thought it relevant to the conversation. I'll remember my place next time and ensure that I spend a few hours searching the threads prior to commenting again.

No reason to get defensive, I was not criticizing you for posting it. You came to a discussion forum and posted a rumor, so it was my assumption that you wanted discussion of that rumor. I was bringing you up to speed on the discussion that had already happened.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They would have to start building a new one before the tear down this one. You can’t have a “zoo” with no animal care facilities.

That said there is a sizeable plot in the space between this building and the main areas of the park. They could just use that instead.

I think this is the key point. Closing Rafiki's for no other reason then they need the space to build something else just doesn't make sense since, as you say, they have a ton of available land right next to it, and closer to existing guest area. I personally liked the train, but I think having to ride it cuts down on the number of people who would visit the area. It was also create a serious bottleneck if they decided to build something really popular back there.

jt04

I think this is the key point. Closing Rafiki's for no other reason then they need the space to build something else just doesn't make sense since, as you say, they have a ton of available land right next to it, and closer to existing guest area. I personally liked the train, but I think having to ride it cuts down on the number of people who would visit the area. It was also create a serious bottleneck if they decided to build something really popular back there.

Lee indicated at one point it could possibly connect to a resort someday. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to travel these boards anymore.

Seeshark

Bummer - my daughter loved Rafiki's, especially the animal care center and petting zoo. I also really liked conversing with CMs on the walk at those little kiosk stops along the way. It was a nice respite from the rest of the park. The jungle and expedition trails can be a nice get-away as well, though maybe not to the same extent. With these new resorts in the works, I'm increasingly wondering how the parks will handle the crowds without these little relief spots, or actually, even with these spots. There are walkways in AK in medium-busy times that feel way too congested. Plus I'm a sucker for these little "educational" stops along the way; hate to see them all disappear.

Darth_Wes

No reason to get defensive, I was not criticizing you for posting it. You came to a discussion forum and posted a rumor, so it was my assumption that you wanted discussion of that rumor. I was bringing you up to speed on the discussion that had already happened.
I'm good. Just being a smart a$$. It's funny how things can be taken so many different ways when written.

SteamboatJoe

Meh, not sad to see it go, personally. My local zoo has a short train ride and a petting zoo. I will be pretty surprised if they replace it with something in the near future. It probably will just continue to function in some manner behind the scenes or on special tours.

Sonconato

They still exploited them for years, still whilst they are still living there in tiny tanks. Only reason they've stopped breeding them is because they are losing money, not because they care. If they cared, the orcas would not have been kept in such poor conditions in the first place.
First and foremost, I only made a comment about Sea World, you continued to expand on the subject.
Second, Sea World does an extraordinary amount of good for the injured and distressed marine wildlife and there is NO disputing that fact, and I’m not talking about the wildlife in the Parks but the wildlife in the wild.
Third, in many cases, introducing creatures that have been raised in captivity, often cannot and do not survive when released into the wild, therefore, they need to continue to care for them for the remainder of their life.
Lastly, we shouldn’t continue to beat up on Sea World for the misstep that they made since they do so much good for those in the wild. They are trying to “right the wrong” so society should embrace that and support all the good they do, including the educational efforts they provide in their parks. Sometime back, WDW had to pay a fine for the mishandling of the Vultures on Discovery Island but they learned by that misstep and look at all the good they’re doing now at Animal Kingdom! I just don’t want to see any of this disappear from either establishment.
And with that said, this is my final comment on this issue.

RSoxNo1

The train loop/turnaround near Africa inhibits access to the plot north of Asia. What I'd like to see though is removal of Kali River Rapids and another loop created from the current Africa train station that loops behind Maharajah Jungle Trek and lands near Kali. That should get to the plot North of Asia where they could add a ridiculous amount of attractions.

Also, can we please get a walk through with a lion enclosure in Africa?

peter11435

The train loop/turnaround near Africa inhibits access to the plot north of Asia. What I'd like to see though is removal of Kali River Rapids and another loop created from the current Africa train station that loops behind Maharajah Jungle Trek and lands near Kali. That should get to the plot North of Asia where they could add a ridiculous amount of attractions.

Also, can we please get a walk through with a lion enclosure in Africa?
The train loop does not prevent access to the north plot. If they wanted to be mildly ambitious grade changes could easily provide access over the tracks. Just as the safari queue already passes over the safari trucks and path. Less ambitious there is room between the tracks and the caravan stage/tiger barn to construct a walking bath. It would be no narrower or longer than the walk from DI to Pandora.

RSoxNo1

The train loop does not prevent access to the north plot. If they wanted to be mildly ambitious grade changes could easily provide access over the tracks. Just as the safari queue already passes over the safari trucks and path. Less ambitious there is room between the tracks and the caravan stage/tiger barn to construct a walking bath. It would be no narrower or longer than the walk from DI to Pandora.
Good point, I didn't think of elevation changes

Tom P.

No such thing as the Disney difference anymore.
My family and I spent two days at Dollywood a couple of weeks ago. It was a very nice theme park and we had a good time. But, trust me, the Disney difference most definitely still exists. Without question.

JoeCamel

This is kinda bummer for us. My wife is a Veterinarian Tech and this was one of the places she was hoping to see when we visit in Feb so she could view the Veterinarian places as she has worked large animal such as cattle and horses but never large wild animals.
Sounds like you are a candidate for the animal tours. You can still see what interests her but you gotta pay......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom