News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

Sonconato

Awhile back someone in another thread said slowly Animal Kingdom will be less and less about animals and I'm beginning to believe that it's true. Take away a unique and educating experience and replace it with a run-of-the-mill dance party... Is that now the answer to everything?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow, so it's actually completely shutting down.

I just hope/wished they move their animal facilities somewhere else so they can bulldoze it and put something more substantial there. Animal Kingdom needs all the help it can get.
Well that’s the real issue here...

This is a “backstage” area with some mighty expensive animal control areas sandwiched around it...not an empty expansion pad in Epcot

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Awhile back someone in another thread said slowly Animal Kingdom will be less and less about animals and I'm beginning to believe that it's true. Take away a unique and educating experience and replace it with a run-of-the-mill dance party... Is that now the answer to everything?

1. Animals are major expenses
2. People don’t love zoos (why they almost always are public...aka not a good “investment”...and as we all know the free market is my master)
3. Water is wet

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand the first two, but 3 went over my head.
It’s my way of stating that facts are indisputable.

Animal kingdom has always been a tremendous operational drain. You can’t tell a heard of 30 elephants to “eat less...save some money”...

These reductions/closures at dak give me
The impression that even with the avatar expansion succeeding more than any of us could have legitimately guessed...the numbers still aren’t good.

I don’t think it’s possible they ever will be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Altered Beast overlay confirmed!

...winner...I yield

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
An insider in the truest sense of the word once hinted the train could become part of a much bigger plan. Seems I remember it could be a resort or a new land. Certainly the train could create a much more immersive experience if they chose that option.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm optimistic.

Can you write up a little description on the qualifications for that title?

Just a paragraph or two 😎

Jambo Joe

That gives me another good reason to buy a SeaWorld pass. I know that Blackfish was a misstep, but at least someone cares about the animals. The possibility that they are favoring IP and rides over conservation and endangered animals makes me sick. They don't learn from their mistakes, going down the same path as Epcot.
What are you referring to? I see no mention or hint of any issues with Disney's care of animals. They have been widely praised for their efforts .

Sonconato

What are you referring to? I see no mention or hint of any issues with Disney's care of animals. They have been widely praised for their efforts .
I apologize for the way I phrased it. Despite what it sounds like, I never did think Disney was harming any animals. What I meant was the emphasis on animals in the park is diminishing.

Last edited:

crxbrett

I am so glad I got to experience it one last time just a week ago. It was always a relaxing way to escape for me and I always enjoyed watching the vets examining the animals and looking at the reptiles and critters. And I love trains so the railroad was always a real treat for me to ride on. Going to miss that a lot, too.

I just hope all those CMs working there are able to keep their jobs or move into other positions. I hate cutbacks and really dislike it when so many great people lose their job. I met some really amazing CMs on this past trip there. The guy playing Rafiki the day I was there was really helping people get excited. He was jumping up and looking into the little windows and looking for critters along with everyone else. It was really fun to watch and made me smile from ear to ear.

jt04

I'm going to go against the grain here. I probably wont miss it. It was neat, but nothing spectacular.
I do hate to see the educational portion going away.

i would guess the hospital will remain and perhaps be part of a backstage tour. My problem was the area took you out of the immersive world DAK surrounds you with. They have so many great options for the available land. Interesting times.

Biff215

i would guess the hospital will remain and perhaps be part of a backstage tour. My problem was the area took you out of the immersive world DAK surrounds you with. They have so many great options for the available land. Interesting times.
Think you’re way too optimistic here. This is a budget cut, plain and simple. One day this space will likely be used for something else, but that day likely isn’t all that soon or on management’s radar.

These are interesting times, but unfortunately not positive for guests or CM’s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom