News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

Sonconato

I’m sad to see this go. I just talked with a CM at RPW and she said that they were just told yesterday that this area will no longer be accessible to guests after 10/21, but the facilities and animals will stay for now and be cared for and the CMs will go to other areas in the park, like the trails. They’re still figuring out what to do with some of the activities and education animals that are now at RPW.

As a passholder I always enjoy coming to RPW for special events, like International Vulture Awareness Day and Earth Day, when they have special activities and tables with information. I hope they’ll continue to do these things somewhere else in the park.

View attachment 315609

Just saw this Aardvark wandering around here:

View attachment 315611
Thank you. As an annual passholder myself, I also hope that they continue this elsewhere in the park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Would this closure fall under the Phase 2 development of Avatarland? I know the end goal is more footpath and access but would a train ride to Pandora (with screenz) be logical? Is the entire track being ripped up? Conservation Station to Pandora Conservation Station? I hope they haven't backburned Phase 2 of Pandora.

Rafiki's isn't anywhere near Pandora so that wouldn't make sense. Pandora has expansion room if they want to use it.

hartguy123

I don’t know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, or if this is a recent thing, but the habitat that used to house the small monkeys along the path between Affection Section and the train station has already been removed.

EPICOT

The conclusion being that since they have never build a Toy Story Land they will never build a Zootopia land? ;)

The conclusion being that a land based on either of these movies will be underwhelming due to a generic setting. A “backyard” or “city” are just not very exciting places for a theme park land (at least not to the level we expect at WDW).

jt04

I think this would be acceptable and practical if they were also converting ST into a Toontown Trolley-esque Zootopia Bus simulator. FWIW, I think the Zootopia IP would be best utilized in DHS. It's a cute movie that has "enough" going for it that it could be the IP to help bring more families to DHS. Something like a simple spinner ride (*Aladdin or TriceraTops Spin) legitimate "jungle gym" style playground, an interactive sleuth scavenger hunt AR mobile attraction, a few kiosk shops, and the D-ticket Zootopia Bus ride to round it out would make a semi-decent Zootopia mini land at DHS, if considered. The question however remains: Is the IP bankable enough to justify a mini land or single attraction? That's for Disney to determine.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Rafiki discussion.

I like the Star Tours possibility. Only logical spot and next to similar Muppet ip. But also agree that Zootopia in nowhere near as bankable as many other franchises.

Disney Maddux

I think this would be acceptable and practical if they were also converting ST into a Toontown Trolleys/Zootopia Bus simulator. FWIW, I think the Zootopia IP would be best utilized in DHS. It's a cute movie that has "enough" going for it that it could be the IP to help bring more families to DHS. Armchair: a simple spinner, legitimate "jungle gym" style playground, an interactive sleuth scavenger hunt AR interactive mobile attraction, a few kiosk shops, and the D-ticket Zootopia Bus ride to round it out would make for a descent Zootopia mini land at DHS. The problem however remains: Is the IP bankable enough to warrant a mini land or one ride? That's for Disney to determine. Best to discuss in another thread.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Rafiki discussion.
(And of course a M&G)

Hm...
I like the Star Tours possibility. Only logical spot and next to similar Muppet ip. But also agree that Zootopia in nowhere near as bankable as many other franchises.
It’s their 2nd highest grossing film right behind Frozen, why would it not be bankable?

Disney Maddux

Don't see much merchandise. Unlike Frozen. Follow the money.
You're looking in the wrong place. Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland seem to be jumping on the Zootopia bandwagon, full gas.
This. Plus the fact that for MVMCP this year, they’re going to have much more Zootopia merchandise. I’d say that’s a good sign we’re finally gonna start seeing more merch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rafiki's isn't anywhere near Pandora so that wouldn't make sense. Pandora has expansion room if they want to use it.

Funny how grasping has so little depth perception...

I’ll make my “prediction”:

They’re just closing it to save/repurpose some CPs and maintenance.

There’s no “plan”...no elaboration scheme...no plan to “imagineer”

They let the dust settle after avatars newness was marquee and took something offline to redline it.

Simple...you can have opinions and judge but i’m Not gonna do that...this is the management. Saying or theorizing anything doesn’t really matter.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The conclusion being that a land based on either of these movies will be underwhelming due to a generic setting. A “backyard” or “city” are just not very exciting places for a theme park land (at least not to the level we expect at WDW).

Well...not as exciting as a comic book rollercoaster in a technological innovation showcase...

But you can’t hit a homer every time 😉

jt04

They let the dust settle after avatars newness was marquee and took something offline to redline it.

Simple...you can have opinions and judge but i’m Not gonna do that...this is the management. Saying or theorizing anything doesn’t really matter.

I think your half right. I doubt it is too early for them to start blue sky planning for after the 50th though. I think that is why we are hearing rumblings.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Yup.....some will swear Disney is still re-imagineering River Country and Discovery Island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom