Rack Rate of new Animation Resort?

peter11435

Structurally it wouldn't make sense for the suites to be smaller than 2 standard rooms - as many buildings will be a combination of suites and standard rooms - and I doubt they will make the standard rooms smaller than 260 square feet.

There will not be any combination buildings. All of the standard rooms will be located in the 3 Little Mermaid buildings. The other 7 buildings will be entirely family suites.

Pioneer Hall

Structurally it wouldn't make sense for the suites to be smaller than 2 standard rooms - as many buildings will be a combination of suites and standard rooms - and I doubt they will make the standard rooms smaller than 260 square feet.

The buildings won't have combinations. The Little Mermaid section will be regular rooms, while the other 3 sections will be suites. While I don't think the overall buildings will change, I think that the size and layout of the suites will.

ToTBellHop

The initial cost of building them with interior corridors would be significantly higher, and then you have the ongoing utility and maintenance cost of running lights and AC, plus housekeeping. Outdoor corridors are virtually maintenance free, except for the porch light outside each room and a little sweeping.

I agree. The cost of building a new resort is already high. There's no way they wouldn't use their cookie-cutter "value resort template" for all of the buildings. They'd had to pay for a complete redesign, and they wouldn't gain the "economies of scale" savings from construction, which you get when you build the exact same thing over and over.

Taking away one of the two bathrooms would make the suites less valuable than getting two rooms.

I fully predict the new rooms and layout will match the rest of the value resorts, and that the Family Suites will look strikingly similar to the ones at Music - except perhaps that it won't be as obvious that they just knocked a hole in the wall and walled off the master bed.
Well then we have a friendly bet on this. I bet you are incorrect. If these suites are retrofitted into the existing Pop Century footprint as you suggest, the rooms lose 52 sq ft (10% of their square footage). So either the rooms are significantly smaller (which people will surely notice) or they have changed the floorplans significantly, as the Disney-produced concept art suggests.

Tom

Beta Return
Well then we have a friendly bet on this. I bet you are incorrect. If these suites are retrofitted into the existing Pop Century footprint as you suggest, the rooms lose 52 sq ft (10% of their square footage). So either the rooms are significantly smaller (which people will surely notice) or they have changed the floorplans significantly, as the Disney-produced concept art suggests.

The buildings are all going to be the exact same size as POP, as can be seen from current aerial photographs. All of the slabs/foundations are already in, and the building footprints have been established.

However, since the interiors haven't been built, there is a chance that they'll widen the suites to make up for the lost SF.

The cost of the suites wouldn't even be economical for a family (like they're supposed to be) if they had deluxe amenities like interior corridors.

The concept art on their website also makes it appear as if the entire building has a gentle curve to it, but the fact that they also show windows would definitely be false advertising if they don't build them like that. I suppose they could flip the rooms to the exterior walls, and run a non-climate-controlled semi-interior corridor down the middle of the building. Restrooms would then need to be just inside the door to each room, since they've probably roughed in all the pluming at the center of the buildings.

If they really do end up building them like they've drawn, the answer to the OPs question would be: "They're going to cost a lot more than the Family Suites at Music!"

EDIT: "Artist renderings show concepts only. Final design is subject to change." This statement on the resort's website can leave a lot of wiggle room. The concept of exterior windows that overlook the pool areas and interior corridors can change conveniently when they build it.

ToTBellHop

I agree that they could, but the concept art (and I understand concept art is often incorrect) clearly shows a sliding glass door behind Crush leading into the building--suggesting climate-control.

Tom

Beta Return
I agree that they could, but the concept art (and I understand concept art is often incorrect) clearly shows a sliding glass door behind Crush leading into the building--suggesting climate-control.

I agree with you 100% that the artwork on Disney's site would imply a resort with "Deluxe" features like interior lobbies & corridors, with rooms that include exterior windows.

I just think it would completely throw these rooms out of the "value" price bracket if they really do build them as they've drawn them. One of the items on the checklist that define the Deluxe Resorts are interior corridors (among many other amenities). The Value Resorts are literally just roadside hotels with Disney graphics and props strewn about. If they change that standard on this resort, it can't be classified as a Value Resort anymore. The suites are supposed to allow larger families to stay more economically, but the cost of these rooms (as shown) would ruin that.

DisneyJoe

I just think it would completely throw these rooms out of the "value" price bracket if they really do build them as they've drawn them. One of the items on the checklist that define the Deluxe Resorts are interior corridors (among many other amenities). The Value Resorts are literally just roadside hotels with Disney graphics and props strewn about. If they change that standard on this resort, it can't be classified as a Value Resort anymore. The suites are supposed to allow larger families to stay more economically, but the cost of these rooms (as shown) would ruin that.

I agree completely.

The pricing of the All-Star Music Family Suites is the same or even more than double the price of the Preferred Rooms at the same resort - i.e. - usually on weekends the Family Suite is double the price of a Preferred Room, on weekdays it is usually double the price of a Preferred Room + $5-$15... many families balk at this extra cost, even considering the kitchenette and 2 bathrooms - they are getting LESS sleeping space than 2 rooms! The suites sleep 6, 2 rooms can sleep 8.

slappy magoo

Just playing Devil's Advocate re: interior walkways.

I wonder (and I'm probably wrong) if there's been research on how much air conditioning is "lost" due to exterior hallways, as everyone keeps opening and closing their doors. Whereas the interior hallways are also air conditioned, so you're only talking about a few exits where A.C. escapes, and fans breezig the other way may help to keep it inside.

And if the amount of money and energy spent on "wasted" A.C. as a result is significant, if there's been any sort of cost analysis that results in a decision like "it costs more money now to add the interior hallways to a new Value resort, but at current rates of energy use and rates of inflation, the use of interior hallways starts to save us money by 20XX."

Disney wouldn't do something that nice to Value resorts "just because." Besides, it only opens them up to people complaining that the other Deluxes aren't as nice and why are we paying the same as the nicer hotel (assuming of course, the prices will still be inline twixt the old and the new). But if it saved them money down the road? Even quite a ways down the road? Maybe they would. :shrug:

Tom

Beta Return
Just playing Devil's Advocate re: interior walkways.

I wonder (and I'm probably wrong) if there's been research on how much air conditioning is "lost" due to exterior hallways, as everyone keeps opening and closing their doors. Whereas the interior hallways are also air conditioned, so you're only talking about a few exits where A.C. escapes, and fans breezig the other way may help to keep it inside.

And if the amount of money and energy spent on "wasted" A.C. as a result is significant, if there's been any sort of cost analysis that results in a decision like "it costs more money now to add the interior hallways to a new Value resort, but at current rates of energy use and rates of inflation, the use of interior hallways starts to save us money by 20XX."

Disney wouldn't do something that nice to Value resorts "just because." Besides, it only opens them up to people complaining that the other Deluxes aren't as nice and why are we paying the same as the nicer hotel (assuming of course, the prices will still be inline twixt the old and the new). But if it saved them money down the road? Even quite a ways down the road? Maybe they would. :shrug:

The room AC and interior corridor AC would be completely separate and exclusive of each other. Room AC is limited to the under-window unit that, in most cases, is left on all the time by guests (housekeeping often turns down the fan when they come through). They don't meter the electricity of each room, so they don't know how much power is being used by room AC. But like I said, most guests literally just leave it on all the time, regardless of how long they leave their door open.

Corridor AC would be supplied by an HVAC system on the roof, ducted down to each floor. It would be controlled by thermostats and would actually be affected by open doors more so than the rooms. As the doors are opened 10,000 times by guests coming and going directly from the outside, the hallways would heat up and the system would run longer or more often.

Unless they meter the power consumed by each circuit (which I'm almost certain they don't do - because nobody does it), the only way they can cut down on AC expense is by installing more efficient HVAC systems. On a similar note, they HAVE been replacing HVAC units all over property this year, probably with more efficient units.

Also, consider the amount of AC they literally dump onto the park streets by leaving the shop doors open all day. They're not too concerned with energy costs, which means the interior corridors would merely add to the general cost of construction, but also to the perceived value of the resort - making it something other than a "value" resort.

thanks for the info!

Do you have a script running on your computer that keeps posting that? :lol:

Kamikaze

Source for the bolded?

DABIGCHEEZ

Have not been keeping up with the latest news at WDW. Did not read all of this thread or the other related one but I immediately thought... how can they get away with fitting 6 guests in a 460 or 520 sq ft room, when I am not allowed 5 in a 1 bedroom villa at OKW which is 940 sq ft?(or there abouts) :shrug:

I think it is different county fire codes but still... that is a bit crazy?

_Scar

Have not been keeping up with the latest news at WDW. Did not read all of this thread or the other related one but I immediately thought... how can they get away with fitting 6 guests in a 460 or 520 sq ft room, when I am not allowed 5 in a 1 bedroom villa at OKW which is 940 sq ft?(or there abouts) :shrug:

I think it is different county fire codes but still... that is a bit crazy?

Good question!

Pretty sure the 1 bedrooms are just meant to offer more room for the standard 4. Paying what seems like double points to sleep the same amount as a studio isn't worth it to me. :shrug:

DisneyJoe

Source for the bolded?

Does someone have a source that says the buildings WON'T be mixed between suites and standard rooms?

Another note, Pop and I believe other resorts have motion sensors in each room that adjust the AC automatically when no motion is detected, reducing power consumption on a room by room basis.

EDIT - I see in the post that it says "are planned to exclusively feature family suites" - but I say that the key word here is "planned".

fosse76

I agree with you 100% that the artwork on Disney's site would imply a resort with "Deluxe" features like interior lobbies & corridors, with rooms that include exterior windows.

What do you mean "exterior windows?" All the rooms on property have windows. That isn't a perk for deluxe resorts only. And all of the resort lobbies are interior too. No one checks into their room from outside.

I just think it would completely throw these rooms out of the "value" price bracket if they really do build them as they've drawn them. One of the items on the checklist that define the Deluxe Resorts are interior corridors (among many other amenities).

I'm sorry, but according to whom? Just because the current moderates and values don't have interior hallways doesn't mean they CAN'T. And an interior hallway (if one is built) won't make it any more than a Value. Many motels have interior hallways, and woud never be confused with a Four Seasons. I am currently staying at the Holiday Inn across the street from Universal, in a suite that could rival even a deluxe resort room at Disney (and I am paying less than a value rate...though they gave me a free upgrade because I joined their rewards program). It's much nicer than you would think when you think Holiday Inn, but it is still the Holiday Inn.

The Value Resorts are literally just roadside hotels with Disney graphics and props strewn about. If they change that standard on this resort, it can't be classified as a Value Resort anymore.

Again, according to whom? As I said above, interior hallways don't make value resort a deluxe resort simply because there is an interior hallway.

The suites are supposed to allow larger families to stay more economically, but the cost of these rooms (as shown) would ruin that.

How? It's a value resort. They are charging Value resort rates.

Tom

Beta Return
What do you mean "exterior windows?" All the rooms on property have windows. That isn't a perk for deluxe resorts only. And all of the resort lobbies are interior too. No one checks into their room from outside.

By "exterior windows" I mean that the rooms have windows that don't look out over the "corridors", but that they look out from the other end of the room, with unobstructed views, like the Deluxe Resorts (which actually have patios or balconies there). Value and Moderate Resorts all have windows located over the air conditioners that look out at the walkway.

And I didn't mean the check-in lobby. I meant the elevator lobby in each building. Looking at the artwork, it appears that the elevator lobbies are enclosed, with glass entry doors, implying a climate controlled environment.

I'm sorry, but according to whom? Just because the current moderates and values don't have interior hallways doesn't mean they CAN'T. And an interior hallway (if one is built) won't make it any more than a Value. Many motels have interior hallways, and woud never be confused with a Four Seasons. I am currently staying at the Holiday Inn across the street from Universal, in a suite that could rival even a deluxe resort room at Disney (and I am paying less than a value rate...though they gave me a free upgrade because I joined their rewards program). It's much nicer than you would think when you think Holiday Inn, but it is still the Holiday Inn.

The artwork simply does not reflect what is currently known as the standards for Value Resorts. It doesn't "conform". I didn't say they're going to call this a Deluxe Resort, I said that the artwork implies that it will include features of a Disney Deluxe Resort.

You can't compare off-property resorts to Disney resorts at all. There is absolutely no 1:1 comparison, in price or amenities.

Again, according to whom? As I said above, interior hallways don't make value resort a deluxe resort simply because there is an interior hallway.

Again, I'm merely citing current standards, or templates if you will. There's not a written definition of Disney Resort Amenities - although I'm almost positive I read somewhere, once, that "interior corridors" were a "feature" of the Deluxe Resorts...although that may have been in an unofficial guide book.

How? It's a value resort. They are charging Value resort rates.

You have no idea what they'll be charging for this resort. The rates could be somewhere between "value" and "moderate". If you DO know what they'll be charging, the OP would probably appreciate the information, since they asked what the rates were going to be.

trr1

By "exterior windows" I mean that the rooms have windows that don't look out over the "corridors", but that they look out from the other end of the room, with unobstructed views, like the Deluxe Resorts (which actually have patios or balconies there). Value and Moderate Resorts all have windows located over the air conditioners that look out at the walkway.

And I didn't mean the check-in lobby. I meant the elevator lobby in each building. Looking at the artwork, it appears that the elevator lobbies are enclosed, with glass entry doors, implying a climate controlled environment.

The artwork simply does not reflect what is currently known as the standards for Value Resorts. It doesn't "conform". I didn't say they're going to call this a Deluxe Resort, I said that the artwork implies that it will include features of a Disney Deluxe Resort.

You can't compare off-property resorts to Disney resorts at all. There is absolutely no 1:1 comparison, in price or amenities.

Again, I'm merely citing current standards, or templates if you will. There's not a written definition of Disney Resort Amenities - although I'm almost positive I read somewhere, once, that "interior corridors" were a "feature" of the Deluxe Resorts...although that may have been in an unofficial guide book.

You have no idea what they'll be charging for this resort. The rates could be somewhere between "value" and "moderate". If you DO know what they'll be charging, the OP would probably appreciate the information, since they asked what the rates were going to be.
here is what they are charging as on now at ASM (all stars music)for family suites

value season
sunday thru thursday $190
friday and saturday $210

regular season
sunday thru thursday $235
friday and saturday $255

summer season
sunday thru thursday $275
friday and saturday $305

peak season
sunday thru thursday $290
friday and saturday $320

Holiday Season(week befor christmas)
$315
Holiday Season(christmas thru new years)
$355

also could they put the hallways on the otherside of the building and just have a long suite instead of next to each other ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom