Quick update on SSE and MK

spacemountain89

The city is gone. I think the Videophone scene is the only portion of the 94 descent still intact behind curtains.
I am not sure if anyone has actually seen it but the space where the 94 Peppers Ghost videophone scene in the descent has black curtains with a fiber-optic star field in front last I heard. don't know why Curtains would be there if they were not trying to hide something. The future city scene we know for a fact is history since it's space has been taken up by a cluster of triangles.
yep it's there and the stuff above the ride on your left before the cartoon plays. You can see the graduation caps if you're paying attention.

jessfriends

I am not sure if anyone has actually seen it but the space where the 94 Peppers Ghost videophone scene in the descent has black curtains with a fiber-optic star field in front last I heard. don't know why Curtains would be there if they were not trying to hide something. The future city scene we know for a fact is history since it's space has been taken up by a cluster of triangles.

Why did they have to take the future city scene out? I miss the decent with actual scenes vs just the video on your screen but the video slightly has grown on me. I would rather have the future city as the decent than the stupid triangles. They are so pointless. The future city seemed like it would have tied in with the video as you wait for it to load.

phi2134

Now if we can only get the paperboy to pay attention to us we will be in business.
That change mad me so mad for some reason, it was like they were saying " nah, we aren't going to fix him, lets just turn him around so people can't see his face not moving anymore".

Scuttle

That change mad me so mad for some reason, it was like they were saying " nah, we aren't going to fix him, lets just turn him around so people can't see his face not moving anymore".
I always thought he was moved because he was within a lean and a reach from people grabbing him.

I guess the general consensus is his face is broke.

phi2134

I always thought he was moved because he was within a lean and a reach from people grabbing him.

I guess the general consensus is his face is broke.

Im not sure the real reason, but i never felt like he was too close to reach out and grab. I kind of assumed he was broken.

luv

I had no idea why he was turned around, but I'm fine with it. I like the new scenes and descent. It's just the annoying narration that I don't care for. Wish they'd get Jeremy Irons back in there.

HMF

Why did they have to take the future city scene out? I miss the decent with actual scenes vs just the video on your screen but the video slightly has grown on me. I would rather have the future city as the decent than the stupid triangles. They are so pointless. The future city seemed like it would have tied in with the video as you wait for it to load.
I am still trying to figure out who and why anyone would think the descent as it exists now was a good idea.

HMF

Because they planned more but ran out of time and money. The small additions since the ride reopened have been a locally sourced attempt to lessen the embarrassment of empty space.
Any idea if anything is happening during the upcoming refurb? How excited (or worried) should we be?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any idea if anything is happening during the upcoming refurb? How excited (or worried) should we be?
I have no idea. So far as I'm aware its purely infrastructure. I also hope they pay attention to the track at the 52 ft level (top of initial ascent and dawn of time)

HMF

I have no idea. So far as I'm aware its purely infrastructure. I also hope they pay attention to the track at the 52 ft level (top of initial ascent and dawn of time)
The 1986 refurb was done overnight, right? Not that I am naïve enough to believe that that could be done in today's world because we probably would have known about the tiniest change by now and the Parks Blog would throw a media circus over it, but it would be nice.

spacemountain89

Because they planned more but ran out of time and money. The small additions since the ride reopened have been a locally sourced attempt to lessen the embarrassment of empty space.
They ran out of money on the decent. They originally only had the cartoon playing on the decent from the 52ft level down and that was the only light available. They decided it was too dark and they added chicken wire, triangles, and fiber optic lights on the way down as to make it not as dark.

HMF

They ran out of money on the decent. They originally only had the cartoon playing on the decent from the 52ft level down and that was the only light available. They decided it was too dark and they added chicken wire, triangles, and fiber optic lights on the way down as to make it not as dark.
In retrospect, I think the problem was they spent too much money went into things that are relatively superficial Signage, New Animatronics and effects and lost sight of the big picture and with Spaceship Earth I feel what made the previous versions worked so well is you walked out of them with a sense of meaning and purpose. You felt as though you went through a sort of Personal Epiphany with the current version you walk off wondering "what was that?" and not in a good way. Don't get me wrong updated effects and Animatronics are good but the feeling that ride used to give you was severely watered down. The Ride as it exists now feels like being in a history class with a teacher trying to sound cool to relate to unruly school kids with vignettes added followed by a planetarium and watching an E-Surance commercial with your face on it while going backwards through a dark tunnel. The Irons version felt like you were shown where we came from, where we are and then inspired you to create a better world.

MerlinTheGoat

I've said before, but I dislike the new version. Though at least in this case they didn't completely gut the ride and ruin ALL the scenes, still a good ride underneath and could very well be cleaned up and restored as a great ride in a future revamp. It's not a hopeless situation unlike the other major rides they've ruined and gutted around the rest of Future World. There's still a chance for redemption here. And I doubt it would be too difficult to do such a thing with the right creatives and a proper budget, along with a good script and narrator.

I thought the triangles were always supposed to be present, but originally were intended to show video clips of various historic events. That's where they ran out of money and just left things as-is.

HMF

I've said before, but I dislike the new version. Though at least in this case they didn't completely gut the ride and ruin ALL the scenes, still a good ride underneath and could very well be cleaned up and restored as a great ride in a future revamp. It's not a hopeless situation unlike the other major rides they've ruined and gutted around the rest of Future World. There's still a chance for redemption here. And I doubt it would be too difficult to do such a thing with the right creatives and a proper budget, along with a good script and narrator.
That's the one hopeful part. It is relatively easily fixable unlike something like Imagination where they gutted everything but you have to have the right people in charge. The Test Track refurb was a good model for the future direction of the park and I hope Imagination! gets a similar treatment and someday Spaceship Earth gets fully restored to it's former grandeur.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The 1986 refurb was done overnight, right? Not that I am naïve enough to believe that that could be done in today's world because we probably would have known about the tiniest change by now and the Parks Blog would throw a media circus over it, but it would be nice.
Top of my head the 86 refurb was a week at most or thereabouts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom