Quick update on SSE and MK

HMF

He's selling papes to an empty street!
I strongly feel that if the paper boy is such a huge problem, Why not just create a new vignette for his space rather than just have him face a wall and paint a street on it. Seems like a cop-out to me and it looks ridiculous.

MerlinTheGoat

There's a few reasons I don't think we can assume a short 2013 refurb is going to be as effective as a short 1980's refurb.

First of all, 20 years ago and before, Disney never allowed their attractions to descend into the state of disrepair they are left to enter today. They performed preventative maintenance on them all the time year round even when they weren't closed for more extensive rehabs. And if there were more serious problems, the attractions were closed down for refurbishment before things got bad enough to really be noticed by ordinary people.

Not only has a huge amount of the normal everyday maintenance teams been eliminated entirely since that point in time, it's quite often that even when a ride goes down for an extensive refurbishment, there are still glaring show issues present when the ride reopens. Big Thunder is a perfect example of that. Even Splash Mountain despite the recent refurb being mostly a big success, it still reopened at first with some broken animatronic elements before they were fixed a couple of weeks later (and i've no clue how its been holding up in recent weeks now). There little reason to assume the best when it comes to these refurbs until we've got more of a track record to work with. Still it does sound like the Tiki Room has had some of its issues corrected in recent weeks. And Maelstrom I gather underwent some cleaning and fixing up (though still a lot of work to do). We shall see.

I shall wait and see what people say about this one. Hopefully there's a renewed wish to keep attractions in proper working order.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I like the new scenes and descent. It's just the annoying narration that I don't care for. Wish they'd get Jeremy Irons back in there.
I wish there were a "like" button, a "really like" button, and an "I love it so much, I wish I could marry it" button.

Hey luv, guess which one you get for this post!

Omnispace

In retrospect, I think the problem was they spent too much money went into things that are relatively superficial Signage, New Animatronics and effects and lost sight of the big picture and with Spaceship Earth I feel what made the previous versions worked so well is you walked out of them with a sense of meaning and purpose. You felt as though you went through a sort of Personal Epiphany with the current version you walk off wondering "what was that?" and not in a good way. Don't get me wrong updated effects and Animatronics are good but the feeling that ride used to give you was severely watered down. The Ride as it exists now feels like being in a history class with a teacher trying to sound cool to relate to unruly school kids with vignettes added followed by a planetarium and watching an E-Surance commercial with your face on it while going backwards through a dark tunnel. The Irons version felt like you were shown where we came from, where we are and then inspired you to create a better world.

Good observations. Perhaps the entire interactive element got away from them budgetwise. I'm sure that adding all those touch screens cost quite a bit and the entire system to run them.

Scuttle

I don't remember him being that close.
He looks fairly close on YouTube, but you can't really gauge from the video how close he was.

Edit: I just watched the video and he was pretty Damn close. His arm with the papers actually swung toward the vehicles.

Last edited:

Clamman73

I always thought he was moved because he was within a lean and a reach from people grabbing him.

I guess the general consensus is his face is broke.

Gosh...I hope they don't turn him around and now he actually looks like that Tales from the Crypt dude...:jawdrop:

Big C 73

image.jpg

Evil Mutated Paper Boy- Don't tap his shoulder, he will depress you with news.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom