Questions about Riverside Resort

Disneyfan1981

Hi Everyone, my family is heading back to WDW in April and staying at the Port Orleans Riverside for the first time. I was hoping to get some tip and hints from POR vets!

Thanks!:D

eroyee

:wave: We have stayed there many times and we like the mansions side. it seems closer to the food court, etc. Alligator Bayou is okay if you stay around Bldg. 14, etc. we love to feed the ducks, you can fish if you want to, theres the Ole Man Island pool, thats neat. also, you can walk over to POFQ and use their pool with slide. you can rent surrey bikes and peddle all around the resorts. theres a carriage ride at night there. all in all, its a beautiful place to stay and the food is real good. have a magical time. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there Riverside is an AMAZING resort. You will have a great time there. I prefer the Mansions theming and layout but I thinnk that is just personal preference. Make sure you get to Boatwright's one morning for breakfast, you wont be sorry about that one. This is one of the best sit down breakfast locations propertywide. Enjoy a cruise to Downtown Disney from Riverside via the Sassagoula Riverboat. Make sure you catch Bob the Piano player in the lounge, great fun there. Is there anything specifically you'd like to know? Belle

Upvote 0

Jen Jen

Can't agree more...Riverside is awesome! We also had a great time with Bob the Piano player in the lounge. He really gets the spectators involved and singing away. And we prefer the mansions as well. We just had a much more peaceful feeling there.

Make your reservations for the carriage ride ahead of time. It's a lovely, lovely ride around both Riverside and French Quarter, and I forget what kind of horses they use, but they are huge and beautiful!

I also highly recommend the boat to Downtown Disney. Again, it's a peaceful ride, you get to see preserved land that can't be used to build on anymore, and you get to see the old Treehouses! Plus you can sometimes pick up a few trivia items.

You can also rent several different kinds of boats there at the Riverside marina. Near the marina you can get hair wraps, and just inside the main building you can have caricatures drawn of yourself or your family. I think there are sometime other types of entertainment as well, but I don't know what they are.

The main pool area is very nice, with a playground nearby, and a hot tub. There are also quiet pools located throughout the resort. There is a lounge area near the pool area, as well as the one inside. I think you can get appetizer type foods at both.

And of course there is the gift shop, which has a surprisingly diverse selection of gift and souvenir items, as well as a convenience item area for drinks, snacks, asprin, diapers, etc.

Our maid service here was excellent. Very clean rooms, and while I don't think our mousekeeper was able to make towel animals, she did other special things for us like a styrofoam snow man, and pretty Christmas ribbons around our washcloths. We just left her a tip in a Disney decorated envelope, and a little Christmas candy every day (we stayed in December).

We're staying here again for our next trip this Nov/Dec. It's a beautiful resort and I know you'll love it!
:xmas:

Upvote 0

Disneyfan1981

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I'm not looking for specifics just general preferences and tips, I'm really excited about staying here and want to make sure everyone has a good time. :)

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Most of the negative comments I've heard about POR have to do with the buses not being convenient. Everything else gets praised. And deservedly so. We loved this resort and found the amenities, food, and decor to be top notch.

As for the buses ... :D ... we rented a car. Parking was very convenient at the resort, and the parks were all only a short drive away.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The best advice I could suggest is to take some time to look around, savor the landscaping and attention to detail. Then while you're looking you can see what else there is you'd like ti take time to do, be it catch-and-release fishing, renting a boat, carriage ride, biking, the arcades, the lounge.

Oh, and the omelette I had at Boatwright's one Sunday for breakfast? The best omelette I ever ate. I don't mean "ever ate at WDW." I mean EVER.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

My DH and I just returned from a 4 night stay at POR. We stayed in the Mansion section and upgraded to a King Room (has a King bed).

The room was great! Clean, lots of space, close to a pool....our Mousekeeping made a basket out of the towels and added flowers to it, also some towel animals. Bus stops were a little confusing but we figured it out the second day.

I agree about the piano player, great fun! Also recommend the boat ride to DTD (but our boat was very loud and vibrated!).

We would stay here again in a heartbeat. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

spike595

Do the boatride to DTD at night...It's way better at night. When we stayed the transportation was great never waited more than 5 min. And take 30 min to walk the grounds. Very relaxing. Boatwrights is good as well as Riverside Mill (quick service). My favorite of the resorts.... so far.

Upvote 0

Macaylasmom

Can someone explain the different set ups of the "areas"? I hear a lot of good things about the Mansions. How do they differ than the other areas? Is it only the outside of the buildings? I've stayed at CBR and all the building were basically the same. Main difference was the color of the exterior.
Pics would be great if anyone has them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom