Question on upgrades

MikeyM1975

I've read on occasion about room upgrades - how do you get this to happen?
Heading to the Polynesian in a few weeks for our 10 year (w/o the kids) and would love to figure out a way to get a room upgrade. Thanks!

flynnibus

Premium Member
You don't get it directly. You may ask.. You may be offered a discounted upgrade.. You may win the lotto and get a freebie. More often than not the exist because the resort can not accommodate your original reservation .

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

You can ask nicely if one is available. If one is available they may find some pixie dust and give it to you for free or discounted. But more than likely they will say "Yes we do. It would be an extra $xx per night." and you can either say OK, and pay more, or no thanks, and keep what you have. As a PP said, most upgrades are done on a need basis. They over book a resort, so they offer to move you to a different resort. Or the last room in your class sprung a leak, bed broke, whatever and it is no longer available.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I received an upgrade a few times and I never asked for it. I just consider it a bit of extra pixie dust, but I never expect it. I think the reason I got it was that it was the slow season, so rooms were empty, I had no requests about the room at all, so they knew I was flexible about where I ended up, and I didn't care if the room was ready when I arrived.

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

Heading to the Polynesian in a few weeks for our 10 year (w/o the kids) and would love to figure out a way to get a room upgrade. Thanks!

There is no magical way to get an upgrade. If you put you are celebrating your anniversary on you booking then a CM may be in the giving mood and see what they can do but if you ask they will tell you a price. Basically it is one of those things where when you ask no one is going to give it to you if they see there is something special about your visit they may give you something.

Remember free upgrades are never guaranteed and should never be expected. If you really want the better view you should pay for it. If you try to save by getting the cheaper room and don't end up with an upgrade you can't complain.

Like others have said it is typically give due to some reason beyond the CMs control such as over booking or in the event you end up at a room with issues and there are no others open. I've also seen sometimes during the peak tour group season of the CMs offering to send people to other resorts when they are stuck right next to the groups.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Free upgrades are done based solely on the operational needs of the resort. By policy if you ask for an upgrade at check in and it is available you will have to pay for the upgrade to get it. Considering that the Polynesian is one of the most popular Disney resorts and often near capacity the probability of a free upgrade is quite low. If you want a better room type your best bet is to book it in advance.

Upvote 0

JonBoy

We have been upgraded on our last 2 visits we were upgraded to a water view room at the the beach club with a stunning view of the boardwalk and we were upgraded from a 1 bed to 2 bed villa at OKW! We did not ask although for the first time we had requested certain rooms so not sure if that jade a difference or not!

Upvote 0

MikeyM1975

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! I'm perfectly happy with the room we booked and am looking forward to our trip. BUT hey, if no one is using the King Kamehameha Suite, I'll gladly take up residence. :)

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Thanks for the info! I'm perfectly happy with the room we booked and am looking forward to our trip. BUT hey, if no one is using the King Kamehameha Suite, I'll gladly take up residence. :)
IF that were possible.. awesome!!! But you'd have a better chance of hitting the lottery. LOVE that suite!!

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Totally random... I also this it is based on how full the resort is. We booked a standard room at AKL and were upgraded to Savannah view when we checked in!!!

Upvote 0

luv

You pay for it. On rare occasions, they'll upgrade you without you paying for it. I wouldn't count on it.

You can ask, though.

My mom said she was renting the King Kamehameha suite on her next trip. Kept talking about it, saying "King Kamehameha!" like she had an island accent...but she died before she did. If you can afford it, don't put it off. When I found her folder with the KK suite info and list of prices, I felt so bad that she didn't actually make that trip.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

You can't "get" this to happen. It just happens. When we got one in 2007, we were picked as Family of the Day when they were doing that promotion. We arrived at 11 pm so we only got to be it for an hour. But we did get bumped up to Club Level the entire trip. And in 2009 when we got bumped to Club Level at the GF, its b/c they "f'd" up.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom