Question for WDW Cast Members?

Figment632

Original Poster
Ive always wondered about working in the parks and really getting to see how things work on a day to day basis. Does this ruin any of the WDW experience and magic for you? The main reason I decided against doing the college program was because I was afraid seeing how everything works constantly would ruin it for me. I've done a couple of tours and saw the way a few things are done but I just think that seeing it day after day would ruin the experience for me?

Bug715

It didn't ruin the magic for me at all!! Its a bit different knowing what goes on behind the scenes but that makes me more greatful to CMs and feel the magic even more! Plus still having friends down there gives me a reason to go back more and having connections doesn't hurt getting better seats in shows!

I do know a few girls I worked with had never been to WDW before their program and I think that it did ruin their experience a bit since they started seeing MK from behind the scenes. That is the reason I wouldn't want to do the DL program before I've been to the park as a guest.

Chape19714

To be honest, being backstage doesn't ruin the magic at all. If ANYTHING ruins the magic, it's rude guests who yell and scream at me for things beyond my control...that just completely kills the magic for me. I normally regain the magic after a few days off work, or visiting as a guest.

agent86

I just think that seeing it day after day would ruin the experience for me?

It sounds to me like you already have your mind made up that it would ruin the magic for you, so I guess I'm a little unclear on why you're bothering to ask. :confused:

But for what it's worth, I worked for Disney years ago, and seeing the behind the scenes stuff actually enhanced the magic for me...rather than ruined it.

OliveMcFly

I've been a Cast Member for 2 years. I started at the Tower of Terror and Fantasmic. I've seen behind the scenes for both attractions many times yet I still enjoy riding and watching them although Tower isn't scary anymore since I know the ins and outs. I've been in Entertainment for a year but I still enjoy watching parades and taking pictures with the characters. The only thing I miss is the feeling I would get after being away for a year or 6 months but now I can get the feeling when I travel to other places. Sometimes while doing parade I stare at the castle and just think "wow, I get to do this...HERE". It's a awesome feeling.

SeaBreeze

I think it depends entirely on the person. I worked as an engineering PI so I worked backstage (and overnight a lot) on just about every attraction on property and I can happily say my magic wasn't ruined. Instead, I just absolutely loved my job and learning how to make the magic work. That being said, another one of the interns in my group had to take a year off from WDW once he was done because the magic was kind of gone. After his break he's back to loving WDW though :)

Tinkrbell

I have been here working in costuming since August & just found out yesterday that my program was extended so I can stay until May if I want to.
I have worked in the character room, at Fantasmic, & at a CM issue floor. None of these things have ruined the magic for me, if anything, the experience has made WDW more magical for me because I have done the backstage work that people usually dont think about & I know the impact my not showing up to work would have, not only on the regular CMs in the parks, but also the preformers in the shows & the meet & greet characters.

I was a CP at PI but when I went to the parks I always went backstage to see how everything worked, it didnt ruin anything for me.

The only thing that was ruined for me was the christmas parade because I didnt know it was 4 day production in the begining of december and not a live christmas day parade.....

KingdomHeart

To be honest, being backstage doesn't ruin the magic at all. If ANYTHING ruins the magic, it's rude guests who yell and scream at me for things beyond my control...that just completely kills the magic for me. I normally regain the magic after a few days off work, or visiting as a guest.

I cannot agree enough. You'll also have to remember no one never has a problem at their job (with a manager, or a coworker, or the hours - that kind of thing), and you may get angry at Disney for it (a little displacement). But honestly? Walking the Utilitor everyday didn't hurt the magic for me at all - I got to be part of the magic, and that made it all even better. But yeah, after a rude guest spits at you, you might need a few days off (which happened to me). But while the CP treats you maybe not as well, and I'd probably recommend moving down there and getting a position for a few months for the same experience (find a roommate or two), working for Disney is an overall positive experience.

I dunno how much I recommend the WDWCP specifically as an avenue to work for Disney. For me, they piled on extra hours due to the fact that as a CP, you can't get overtime. I had a very intense work experience at BTM involving being direly understaffed. It was very difficult, and I was working 65+ hours for 9 straight weeks (when I applied and interviewed they'd said it'd only be that intense for 3 weeks, most likely and we would probably only work six days a week for those 3 weeks, instead of from the beginning of March through the week we left in May), and my entire area burned out to where we couldn't lift out heads. And the system of senority for CPs was bizarre - because I was certified last on the same day as everyone else I recieved the latest, worst hours weeks longer than anyone else I started with. More insultingly, everyone else on the attraction, including the managers, some of the coordinators, and all the full timers went back down to 5, but knowing we were all (but one) leaving, they decided to burn us out because we weren't long time prospects. IMPORTANT TO NOTE: From my friends still there, nothing is like this anymore - they are better staffed and completely under more control.

My boyfriend however, usually stayed around 50 something hours, even during crazy times, went back to 2 days off a week, had better days on the whole, and never got spit on. I had an incredible, amazing, unforgettable, life changing experience despite what happened to me, but he had no despite - his was just awesome all around.

The part/full timers usually got better hours, got more flexibility with requesting time off, full timers get some kind of benefits including vacation time (I believe). I'm not trying to dissuade you - like I said, my boyfriend (the wonderful amazing incredible Kevin) rarely if ever had a bad day, and certainly never had a problem with scheduling or rough managers or exceptionally rude guests (and you'd think he would working in Quick Service Food and Beverage - hungry people are crazy!!!!), although he would get extended sometimes, but it was never bad. We both made amazing friends at our jobs that we keep in touch with from home (one of whom is meeting us in Disney for our vacation in May) and talk about how incredible a time we had all the time.

The WDWCP does offer bussing, convenient living quarters (we shared a 2 person apartment (the minimum possible) and it was huge and we loved it), and classes that can count for college credit (not at my school, unfortunately). So it's really up to you. Despite everything I said negative, if I could, I'd work for Disney again in a heartbeat - nothing compares to helping make the magic for people - it's a life changing experience and I miss it all the time.

-Nicholas

PS: I would like to everyone to know this isn't an attack on the WDWCP - I'm just trying to give a fair, real, representation of what my CP was like, that the don't really tell you during the interview process - and I even say how well Kevin's went. Just my opnion on whether or not it affects the magic, and a bit on the WDWCP itself.

disneydiva72

The only thing that was ruined for me was the christmas parade because I didnt know it was 4 day production in the begining of december and not a live christmas day parade....

Its funny you mention that....I just discovered that the actual parade was NOT on Xmas day and I was very surprised, I thought the performances were the only thing taped days before.

KingdomHeart, how long ago were you a CP? CP's definetly get time and a half for overtime just like anyone else, it's just that CP overtime is cheaper since their base pay is lower to start with.

sarabi

This is a hard question to answer.

I was a CP in 1999/2000. What's been said before about the lousy hours, long hours, and basically the jobs no one else wants to do is absolutely true. Plus, as a CP, you don't get any benefits (insurance, time off, etc). It is, however, an easy way into the company and you do get living quarters and transportation. Also, I can't say enough about the seven seminars that were part of the program when I went. I hope they are still there. They focused on customer service, communication, problem solving, etc and they were outstanding and I use them in my life every day.

My program was roughly 4 months long. The first two months of it, I felt the magic was ruined for me. A lot of my work was manual labor and it was rough on my body, I was always sick, and the hours were horrendous. Also, to be honest, the difference between how CPs were treated as opposed to union workers was apalling to me.

HOWEVER, the second two months, I learned that the experience dependend on what *I* made it. I started creating magic in my role, and I started making myself recognize when others created magic. The second two months were fantastic and I was sad when I left. Although some parts of the magic were "ruined" for me (for example, backstage is ugly), I became closer to Disney. I think the magic, in the end, was amplified for me because I could really understand how hard everyone worked now to make it happen like it does.

When you understand that every CM you encounter is putting in 110%, you can't help but be in awe. Until then, though, it's rough, I'll be honest. Working there isn't glamorous (at least, it wasn't for me... for some, I suppose it is, depending on your role). If that's what you expect, you will have a hard time letting go of those expectations like I did. Whether or not it's worth it for you and whether or not it ruins the magic for you depends on you and you alone.

sarabi

Oh, and as an addendum to that, I would recommend reading "Mouse Trap" by Kevin Yee. It's a memoir of a Disneyland cast member, and I find it matter of fact. Keep in mind, he worked there 10 years ago and it's Disneyland we are talking about, but he does explain pretty well what the culture is like.

The magic of the parks and characters were never ruined for me, even now that I'm in entertainment. I have to say that it gave me a different viewpoint, now I realize that the magic doesn't just happen, it's created and that's pretty amazing.
However I have become pretty disheartened with how the company is run and how cast members are treated. Especially since being in entertainment. It really bothers me to know that my physical well being is a much lower priority than the bottom line.

joanna71985

I've been a CP 4 times now. I love working at Disney, and the magic hasn't been ruined for me at all. In fact, I hope to move down to FL when I graduate (I'm currently seasonal).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom