Question for the Brits really.......

emma c

Hello

Just pricing costs for disney and just wondering overall who you all find best to book with? So far for me I'm find thompsons cheapest. We did go last year and booked with them and just. Looking at going back in year or two.

emma c

Original Poster
So when any of book direct with disney to find by phoning you get a better deal rather than using the disney website?

Upvote 0

liberty2015

weve had 8 trips to the world from the uk,we find booking direct with Disney does save a bit and all the staff we talk to on the phone always go out of there way to get us the best deal possible.as for flights weve always gone with virgin,yes they are a little bit dearer but as mentioned you get a bit more leg room and unlimited snacks and drinks through the flight.even with a slightly more expensive flight we still find it works out cheaper than a package deal for us as we split our trips with stays at Daytona for the nascar races.

Daytona sounds like an idea, never even thought about adding other things into trip :) Will suggest this to hubby when grand prix finishes! We where told by travel agent booking seperate was more expensive, but makes sence that they would push to get the package all together. Thanks

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Yep we was thinking of upgrading to the next meal plan to be honest was only 300 quid more and by time you pay for a couple of meals and character meal you will have saved your money.

Also random thing but if I was you I would take some of those new robin sons squash things in the packet that you add to water that's just come out, they don't have squash in wdw and when asked nobody new what we meant and after 6 days of just water kiddo was getting a bit fed up! She don't drink milk really and at the time hated fizzy drinks so was a complete pain!

Do you know where you want to stay?

We find the higher meal plan always works at DLP when doing charactor meals so think we will diffently upgrade. I will add your juice tip to my list too. None of us drink fizzy drinks at all and have heard the water tastes very odd to brits. Didnt realise it was that restricted.

We havent choosen where to stay yet as I am worried about doing two weeks in one resort and ending up with a noisey room (few bad experiences in past) I'd ideally like one week in Port Orleans French Quarter or Caribbean then one week in Wilderness Lodge. Where have you stayed?

Have you done seaworld / Discovery Cove?

Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
We find the higher meal plan always works at DLP when doing charactor meals so think we will diffently upgrade. I will add your juice tip to my list too. None of us drink fizzy drinks at all and have heard the water tastes very odd to brits. Didnt realise it was that restricted.

We havent choosen where to stay yet as I am worried about doing two weeks in one resort and ending up with a noisey room (few bad experiences in past) I'd ideally like one week in Port Orleans French Quarter or Caribbean then one week in Wilderness Lodge. Where have you stayed?

Have you done seaworld / Discovery Cove?
We stayed at port Orleans riverside was lovely and didt hear any noise at all from other rooms or outside was beautiful resort. Yeah water i thought tasted fine it just after few days it gets a bit old, they did some bright red pinch thing I watered day with water and she did drink that a bit I swear all she wanted when we got home was squash and a egg sandwich!

We done sea world which was great lovely day we got the tickets from the tompsons rep at the hotel and with transport worked out cheaper than gettin n taxi tickets here firsts bus was great they gave you number to ring when you had enough of park and they come get you within the hour. We also done islands of adventures which if weret for Harry potter weret over thrilled with though hubby did love the hulk coaster.

Have not done discovery cove but my friend has and she said was best experience ever may do it when we go back.

Upvote 0

Nubs70

Thank you so much Emma and Daniel, thats a great help. We where hoping to get the magic express, its just a shame we cant pick up some shopping on the way. So used to being able to load the car up and drive to DLP with everything your need from full wet weather gear to a weeks supply of bottled water.

If you book the disney dining plan, do you still have to pay for meals up front? Was hoping to make the most of the charactor meals, specially breakfast.

Also, common question I know, we might have to go in August as school so far not agreed to week off before oct half term for daughters birthday week. Is the heat going to be a huge difference (Aug / Oct) Not to bothered about bigger crowds as more interested in charactors than rides. Sorry for all the question!
There are stores that will deliver groceries to your room. Check out Gardengrocer.com.

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Thanks Emma & Nubs.

Sorry can I ask another question. What is a Food Court and can you use disney Dining Plan at them? Still undecided on resort as we really need buffet options due to loads of allergies/vegi in our family. Buffet is easier but so far struggling to pick an area that best suits us. Back to considering Caribbean or Port Orleans? :banghead:

Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
Food court is quick service fast food restaurant sort of thing. At port Orleans there was different station depending on what you wanted to eat make your pasta station(my fav) burger bar option roast meat n veg station and a make your salad bit you go to station order food, food is cooked you go to til and pay. 1 quick service meal at PORS would be a cheeseburger fries bottle drink and then dessert, which could be ice cream options or fruit or crisps. Think I hav explained properly but please ask if you are confused! I think you should be fine to be honest there are chefs you can see in background so you can ask about special needs they must get on a day to day basis, I know at any seat down meal we ate at we was always asked if we had any special requirements.

Upvote 0

Nubs70

Food courts are considered a quick service meal where you can pick from a variety of options.

Dining plan (DDP) is used there. Depending on what level of DDP you sign up for determines the number of quick service (QS), table service (TS), and snacks you are entitled to. When my family and I go, we usually go for the table service plan.

In the table service plan we get on a daily per person basis:
  • 1 snack
  • 1 quick service, any meal where you place your order at a kiosk or counter.
    • Main entree
    • Drink
    • Dessert
    • Chips
  • 1 table service, a sit down where the food comes to you.
    • Main entree
    • Drink (non alcoholic)
    • Dessert
  • A length of stay refillable mug.
Do not forget tipping for table service meals. Here in the states, tipping and gratuity is customary and ranges from 15% minimum to whatever you feel is appropriate. Tips and gratuity is not included in the DDP.

The cashier or waiter will give you a receipt every time you purchase anything with you remaining meal balance. I find they get you on the snacks. A small Apple, small milk, or a large milkshake are each considered a snack. Overall, you really get a whole lot of food for what one personally can consume. You will not go home having lost weight.

As for resort quandary, I would go for Port Orleans (French Quarter over Riverside if your situation permits), over Carribean Beach. CBR is absolutely massive and you could end up a 10 - 15 minute walk from the food court. POFQ is the smaller of the PO resorts and is small quiet and a single bus stop. PORS is larger with multiple bus stops but a food court with more selection than POFQ. Also, if you go to POFQ, you can use the PORS facilities and visa versa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

liberty2015

Dining plan (DDP) is used there. Depending on what level of DDP you sign up for determines the number of quick service (QS), table service (TS), and snacks you are entitled to. When my family and I go, we usually go for the table service plan.

In the table service plan we get on a daily per person basis:
  • 1 snack
  • 1 quick service, any meal where you place your order at a kiosk or counter.
    • Main entree
    • Drink
    • Dessert
    • Chips
  • 1 table service, a sit down where the food comes to you.
    • Main entree
    • Drink (non alcoholic)
    • Dessert
  • A length of stay refillable mug.
Do not forget tipping for table service meals. Here in the states, tipping and gratuity is customary and ranges from 15% minimum to whatever you feel is appropriate. Tips and gratuity is not included in the DDP.

The cashier or waiter will give you a receipt every time you purchase anything with you remaining meal balance. I find they get you on the snacks. A small Apple, small milk, or a large milkshake are each considered a snack. Overall, you really get a whole lot of food for what one personally can consume. You will not go home having lost weight.

As for resort quandary, I would go for Port Orleans (French Quarter over Riverside if your situation permits), over Carribean Beach. CBR is absolutely massive and you could end up a 10 - 15 minute walk from the food court. POFQ is the smaller of the PO resorts and is small quiet and a single bus stop. PORS is larger with multiple bus stops but a food court with more selection than POFQ. Also, if you go to POFQ, you can use the PORS facilities and visa versa.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nubs70, thats a great help. Diffently decided on dining plan you use now. Saves us quite a bit when you take into account exchange rates and tips :)

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Food court is quick service fast food restaurant sort of thing. At port Orleans there was different station depending on what you wanted to eat make your pasta station(my fav) burger bar option roast meat n veg station and a make your salad bit you go to station order food, food is cooked you go to til and pay. 1 quick service meal at PORS would be a cheeseburger fries bottle drink and then dessert, which could be ice cream options or fruit or crisps. Think I hav explained properly but please ask if you are confused! I think you should be fine to be honest there are chefs you can see in background so you can ask about special needs they must get on a day to day basis, I know at any seat down meal we ate at we was always asked if we had any special requirements.

Thank you so much Emma. That is a huge weight off my mind. Food is always a huge problem when we go away, going to be a bonus speaking the laungage though :). I really like the sound of the POR food court, I have changed my mind on meal plan now too, based on this. We have also taken your advise and settled on POR as our resort, with an upgrade to the Royal Room as a birthday suprise for our princess. Its a beautiful resort and I love the option to use POFQ if needed. I think the decoration at POFQ might scare my daughter, not a risk I can take.

I agree until you do any of the Disney resorts, you just cant understand the hold it has on your family. I could talk disney all day :p

Question for you about flights if possible? We cant book flights till November 2014 ish, if we where to book the resort etc to ensure we get a princess room now. Do you think we would struggle to get flights on the days we want? Travel agent said to wait or book flights with Thompson to Sanford Airport (which we dont want) We will have to fly on a saturday, ideally am. - Is it cheaper to book all together? :confused:

Also, have you upgraded your room before?

Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
Hmmm not sure so far I have found package deals by thomsons are the cheapest and you stil get all the discounts and disney dollars I believe. We went via sand ford and had no problems nice little airport was in hotel just over hour and half later was quit happy, it is however small and coming home was long wait with nothing to do!

PORS is just lovely so pretty and relaxing, was always clean, lovely staff and was just great. We done a princess day with our daughter breakfast in the castle followed by make over at bibbi Bobbi boutique and then in evening we had a horse and carriage ride back at hotel and then movie under the stars, she was very happy little girl that night!

Upvote 0

liberty2015

That sounds like an amazing day. I am hoping to do similar on my daughters birthday but without the bibbi bobbi boutique. The evening movie is a great idea,will add that to the list. As for flights, hubby doesent want to drive so we are limited to free transfer which is a shame. I just want to book it now, even worked out weeks to go earlier :cry:

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

Thanks Emma & Nubs.

Sorry can I ask another question. What is a Food Court and can you use disney Dining Plan at them? Still undecided on resort as we really need buffet options due to loads of allergies/vegi in our family. Buffet is easier but so far struggling to pick an area that best suits us. Back to considering Caribbean or Port Orleans? :banghead:
YOu shouldn't have any issue with special diets - there is a disney food blog and information on one of the forums on here about this type of thing. I'll check and eidt my reply.
Edit - look for
Dining With Allergies listed on the forums in the WDW Restaurants and DIning Section. You can also look at the FAQs on the Disney site.

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

Thanks Emma & Nubs.

Also look at the Disney Food Blog - www.disneyfoodblog.com/special-diets-resources/ Hopefully it will help. One of my party of 7 going in Oct/Nov was concerned as she needs special requirements and has found eveything to be useful.

Also check Wheat Free Diet Discussion in WDW Restaurants and Dining for comments.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom