Question for the Brits really.......

emma c

Hello

Just pricing costs for disney and just wondering overall who you all find best to book with? So far for me I'm find thompsons cheapest. We did go last year and booked with them and just. Looking at going back in year or two.

emma c

Original Poster
I have to agree so far package deals are working out a lot cheaper for us,I can't believe you got that price for flights! Must have been your lucky day!

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Sorry i am new to the site. We are planning 2015 and so far have prices from thompson but flights are so expensive as want to go direct. If we dont book direct with Disney, can we still do meal reservations online and use the disney planning on there site?

Sorry, have no idea what I am doing, this site is a life saver. Been to DLP six times but desperate to visit WDW.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
Yeah that's how I felt when we was planning on going was sooooo confusing and then found this site and it really was a godsend helped me soo much with planning and understanding! I booked with Thompson and flew direct to Sanford and bus from there to PORS.

With booking meals I went to do online with Disney but it never worked, however on the site there. Was a 0800 number rang that gave all details as I didt have the disney ref and lady on phoned sorted it all for me just neded credit card has have to pay upfront for character meals and for cancellation fees for other meals.

Any other questions please ask!

Upvote 0

Daniel Benton

Sorry i am new to the site. We are planning 2015 and so far have prices from thompson but flights are so expensive as want to go direct. If we dont book direct with Disney, can we still do meal reservations online and use the disney planning on there site?

Sorry, have no idea what I am doing, this site is a life saver. Been to DLP six times but desperate to visit WDW.

I would recommend flying into Orlando International if possible, then the Magical Express will pick you up and take you to your resort, then, at the end of the trip, drop you back off again at the airport. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but it makes a hell of a difference after a 9 hr flight to just not have to worry!

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Thank you so much Emma and Daniel, thats a great help. We where hoping to get the magic express, its just a shame we cant pick up some shopping on the way. So used to being able to load the car up and drive to DLP with everything your need from full wet weather gear to a weeks supply of bottled water.

If you book the disney dining plan, do you still have to pay for meals up front? Was hoping to make the most of the charactor meals, specially breakfast.

Also, common question I know, we might have to go in August as school so far not agreed to week off before oct half term for daughters birthday week. Is the heat going to be a huge difference (Aug / Oct) Not to bothered about bigger crowds as more interested in charactors than rides. Sorry for all the question!

Upvote 0
Pay for meals upfront?. Never had to do anything like that with our dining plan. We normally get the 1 counter, 1 Table and a snack option.

You can use the credits how ever you feel. 2 table credits for a signature meal or just use counter services for the whole day instead if your on the move. Just have to make use that you use them all before you leave, including the snack options. Take home treats for the family.

I would for the October visit!. You have the Halloween Party going on. Yes is might be crowded on those nights but the weather is a little cooler which helps with the walking around.

If you are staying on property then can I suggest POFC or PORS along with Saratoga Springs (or OKW havent stayed there). We are going back to Saratoga this November with the DDP. We like PORS but when you upgraded to the DDP instead of the basic dining option it was actually cheaper and you get a "wet" bar in Saratoga to prepare meals. Additionally, you can always go over to Hess opposite DTD to pick up supplies. Its like a small Tesco Express.

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Thanks Harvey, thats a great help. Thats great to know there is a small tesco style shop and meal planning sounds easy. POFC is on my list of places I would love to stay. Our biggest concern is two weeks of little sleep due to noise. I like the idea of Fort Wilderness, but hubby isnt so keen. Have you ever spilt the two weeks? Say one on site/one in a villa or two differnt sites?

We are doing DLP Halloween this year, I would prefere to go to WDW in Oct too. Its so hard with school timing.

Sorry one more question. Can you take food from UK to USA? Ie, packets not fresh. Daughter has a peanut allergy so makes life easier to take as much as possible.

Upvote 0

Daniel Benton

We split our last stay, between the Treehouse Villas at Saratoga, and the Jambo House at AKL - we managed to get concierge level at the time of booking - well worth it if you can!

The split was really nice - it meant you could experience both resorts - i found it kept up the excitement the whole way through as you never fell into a routine at either!

Disney were really good at facilitating this as well, bell services picked up our luggage at the Villa in the morning, we went to the parks, checked in at AKL in the afternoon and our bags were there waiting for us! So no fussing around with moving bags from one place to another!

And with regards to food... I don't know, we've never taken food with us! Sorry! :)

Upvote 0

liberty2015

Thats made my day, diffently going to go for a split now :) Did you have to pre book to get the bags moved? Also how did you book both, would it be best to call disney direct or just go through an agent. Not that keen on agents as feel you loose a lot of the control and freedom to make changes.

Feeling more relaxed about going now, been putting it off for years. Thanks Daniel :)

Upvote 0
We have taken food with us in the past so we can grab a quick breakfast while on the move. Cereal bars, instant coffee etc. We did get asked the last time we were going through TSA if we had any Marmite as thats a banned food items due to it being fortified with vitamins.

a link to the USA embassy saying what you can take is below.

http://london.usembassy.gov/ukcustom.html#food

If you check out the American Hess website they are a few located near disney properties. The one at DTD is easy to get to and from. If you do decide to make stay in the DTD area and go shopping at Hess then I would advise taking a small wheeled suitcase to bring the food back with you. Saves the plastic bags digging into your hands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
We stayed at PORS and never had any noise at night was lovely and quite, was heaven to be honest the bed was beyond comfy! What are your school rules? My school refused then time of but we went anyway spoke to her teacher who just gave me her spellings and reading books and then when she was back after hol she wrote about everything she done for her topic book. We are hoping to return and looking at 2016 September thought maybe going as soon as back that way not getting in way too much with school as just returned or go October and try work over half term week so just miss few days either way of term. You should get the free dining offer and any sit down meal we was always asked if anyone had any allergy so hopeful your little girl be ok! I don't think your allowed to take any food with you but double check might be ok with dry food.

Characters are great my girl was thrilled to meet Aerial in mermaid form! Her face was worth every penny!

Upvote 0

liberty2015

We have taken food with us in the past so we can grab a quick breakfast while on the move. Cereal bars, instant coffee etc. We did get asked the last time we were going through TSA if we had any Marmite as thats a banned food items due to it being fortified with vitamins.

a link to the USA embassy saying what you can take is below.

http://london.usembassy.gov/ukcustom.html#food

If you check out the American Hess website they are a few located near disney properties. The one at DTD is easy to get to and from. If you do decide to make stay in the DTD area and go shopping at Hess then I would advise taking a small wheeled suitcase to bring the food back with you. Saves the plastic bags digging into your hands.

Thats a really handy site, thank you. Will look into Hess website too :)

Upvote 0

liberty2015

We stayed at PORS and never had any noise at night was lovely and quite, was heaven to be honest the bed was beyond comfy! What are your school rules? My school refused then time of but we went anyway spoke to her teacher who just gave me her spellings and reading books and then when she was back after hol she wrote about everything she done for her topic book. We are hoping to return and looking at 2016 September thought maybe going as soon as back that way not getting in way too much with school as just returned or go October and try work over half term week so just miss few days either way of term. You should get the free dining offer and any sit down meal we was always asked if anyone had any allergy so hopeful your little girl be ok! I don't think your allowed to take any food with you but double check might be ok with dry food.

Characters are great my girl was thrilled to meet Aerial in mermaid form! Her face was worth every penny!

The school policy is to refuse all requests but we where worried about what action would be taken if we just removed her. Have offered to take school work etc, but been a week and no reply yet. What action did your school take?

With the Disney Dining Plan, can you still do charactor meals or do you have to have Delux Plan?

Upvote 0

pupster

I was pricing up and found thomas cook and thomsons to be about equal ( £50 difference ) when considering tickets transfers and the gift card. & when I went through the booking process with thomas cook ( to check if a voucher i had worked) but did not complete payment they rang me to ask why and offered another £100 off.

thomsons could not offer me any incentives at all , the price was the price
I will be going with thomsons but purely because they have more leg room and the airport is nearer& my dad has a bit of ocd about going from the same airport ( preferably at the same time , same hotel and same room as last time,We are changing hotels to coranado as its much cheaper so I can see him complaining for a few days ,lol)

Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
The school policy is to refuse all requests but we where worried about what action would be taken if we just removed her. Have offered to take school work etc, but been a week and no reply yet. What action did your school take?

With the Disney Dining Plan, can you still do charactor meals or do you have to have Delux Plan?
With dining plan you get the quick service free and then you can pay to upgrade to the next level which is a table service and quick service per day as far as I understand you just use a table service credit to pay for the character meal but be careful because some are 2 credits instead of one I think you just tell them when you book.

With school I applied got told no and basically just ignored it! Her attendance was 100% other than that and from what I gather they only take action if your go below 85% attendance and then it's a fine which stil works out cheaper to go then rather than in school holidays! But I just spoke to her teacher direct and asked for the work as we didt tell daughter until I woke her up for the airport, teacher just smiled over head and mouthed have lovely time!

Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
I was pricing up and found thomas cook and thomsons to be about equal ( £50 difference ) when considering tickets transfers and the gift card. & when I went through the booking process with thomas cook ( to check if a voucher i had worked) but did not complete payment they rang me to ask why and offered another £100 off.

thomsons could not offer me any incentives at all , the price was the price
I will be going with thomsons but purely because they have more leg room and the airport is nearer& my dad has a bit of ocd about going from the same airport ( preferably at the same time , same hotel and same room as last time,We are changing hotels to coranado as its much cheaper so I can see him complaining for a few days ,lol)
I couldn't get a quote from Thomas Cook but I finding all the packages to be cheaper than going separate and booking, personally when we go back i would like to try a different hotel but hubby loved PORS so we will have to see!

Upvote 0

liberty2015

With dining plan you get the quick service free and then you can pay to upgrade to the next level which is a table service and quick service per day as far as I understand you just use a table service credit to pay for the character meal but be careful because some are 2 credits instead of one I think you just tell them when you book.

With school I applied got told no and basically just ignored it! Her attendance was 100% other than that and from what I gather they only take action if your go below 85% attendance and then it's a fine which stil works out cheaper to go then rather than in school holidays! But I just spoke to her teacher direct and asked for the work as we didt tell daughter until I woke her up for the airport, teacher just smiled over head and mouthed have lovely time!

Thank you so much Emma, our daughter has 100% attendance and have organised all future hospital appointments into school holidays. I know its a long time till we go and things change but on a mission to keep it 100% :) As for meal plans, thats a relief. We would struggle to eat half the delux meal plan, but love charactor meals. Save a fortune too :cool:

Upvote 0

emma c

Original Poster
Yep we was thinking of upgrading to the next meal plan to be honest was only 300 quid more and by time you pay for a couple of meals and character meal you will have saved your money.

Also random thing but if I was you I would take some of those new robin sons squash things in the packet that you add to water that's just come out, they don't have squash in wdw and when asked nobody new what we meant and after 6 days of just water kiddo was getting a bit fed up! She don't drink milk really and at the time hated fizzy drinks so was a complete pain!

Do you know where you want to stay?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom