Question about Service Dogs

Dwarful

To respond to EOD K9....I have no idea what this particular dog was trained to do....didn't really seem like anything. It was a little white fluffy dog...Maltese I think? I could be wrong. We all felt so bad for the kid having the asthma attack that was brought on by her severe allergies to dogs.

G00fyDad

Well, this isn't Newsvine or a number of other sites I could name where the crazy lunatics roam. All in all, I would say that this is a pretty good group of people on here, and I think you are selling people short if you think there cannot be meaningful discussion on controversial issues, especially since this is a monitored board and any really outrageous or offensive post gets deleted pretty quickly.

You really haven't been here that long have you? ;)

And I think these last two pages have been fairly civil.

So far, but the track record isn't good.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You really haven't been here that long have you? ;)

So far, but the track record isn't good.
I see your point, but I don't think it should stop conversation because of what MAY happen.

That would be like staying home all the time becasue you MAY be involved in a car wreck if you leave.

Sans Souci

I have told this story before, but two years ago, my husband, my son and myself ate at Chefs de France. We were seated at the banquettes at the rear of the dining room. The seating is tight there. Anyway, I speaking with my husband, when I notice a Yorkie wiggling around on the booth next to me. There was no barrier between the Yorkie's bottom and the booth. Furthermore, the waiter brings out something for the Yorkie to eat and places it on the table. The Yorkie puts its paws on the table at eat out of the bowl. I'm sorry, dogs go the floor.

And, look, I am an MSW, so I am not unsympathetic to people with mental illness. But if someone needs a dog to with them every minute during a trip to WDW to mitigate anxiety, maybe that person isn't ready for a trip just yet. That's OK, because WDW isn't going anywhere. Maybe make it a goal with your therapist and do the work towards that goal. There are so many tools a good therapist can show a client to cope with anxiety and none of them require a dog. It's not always easy and it can be slow-going, but it is a worthwhile endeavor.

G00fyDad

I see your point, but I don't think it should stop conversation because of what MAY happen.

That would be like staying home all the time becasue you MAY be involved in a car wreck if you leave.

Ehhh. That's some strange logic, but okay. By that same train of thought, I should jump off the side of a building with a parachute because what is the point in just sitting around. But, I see your point. However, see mine. These conversations always devolve into nonsense. I'm not saying stop talking about it, but while we are at it lets really spin this top and get some of the old arguments going again. I think you were right. The person who dug this thread up, hit it with 300 joules, and brought it back to life may have been trolling.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ehhh. That's some strange logic, but okay. By that same train of thought, I should jump off the side of a building with a parachute because what is the point in just sitting around. But, I see your point. However, see mine. These conversations always devolve into nonsense. I'm not saying stop talking about it, but while we are at it lets really spin this top and get some of the old arguments going again. I think you were right. The person who dug this thread up, hit it with 300 joules, and brought it back to life may have been trolling.
If you are wearing the parachute and are on top of the building in order to base jump, then by all means.

Dwarful

I have told this story before, but two years ago, my husband, my son and myself ate at Chefs de France. We were seated at the banquettes at the rear of the dining room. The seating is tight there. Anyway, I speaking with my husband, when I notice a Yorkie wiggling around on the booth next to me. There was no barrier between the Yorkie's bottom and the booth. Furthermore, the waiter brings out something for the Yorkie to eat and places it on the table. The Yorkie puts its paws on the table at eat out of the bowl. I'm sorry, dogs go the floor.

And, look, I am an MSW, so I am not unsympathetic to people with mental illness. But if someone needs a dog to with them every minute during a trip to WDW to mitigate anxiety, maybe that person isn't ready for a trip just yet. That's OK, because WDW isn't going anywhere. Maybe make it a goal with your therapist and do the work towards that goal. There are so many tools a good therapist can show a client to cope with anxiety and none of them require a dog. It's not always easy and it can be slow-going, but it is a worthwhile endeavor.

omg....I would have asked for the manager and had to leave. No way am I going to a restaurant that serves dogs off of people dishes. I am pretty sure that goes against health codes.

The Empress Lilly

I haev anxiety doge
much bring to restuarant

anxiety-doge-4.png

PeoplemoverTTA

How do dog trainers take potential service dogs to Disney since the dog is NOT a service dog yet?

I know this is an old thread, but I was in Disneyland back in 2003 (I think it was the 2003 trip) and there were at least 25 "in training" guide dogs around Disneyland. They had special vests on that said they were in training, and all of the dogs I encountered behaved very well. I would think that it must have been cleared with Disneyland first, since there were so many of them at one time. I thought it was pretty cool.

I've shared this story a few times on these boards, but what wasn't cool was when I was riding ToT in DL in 2005 and was making conversation with a lady waiting to go into the library. She told me she loved riding ToT...and so did her dog! She opened her big purse and sure enough, a tiny little dog was in there. I literally was in shock, and I held back in the library to tell CMs so they could stop the lady. How crazy can you be?! I went left when she went ride after the library, and a CM came up to me one last time to be SURE I would attest to seeing an actual dog (the lady apparently wouldn't open up her purse for them).

Seriously people...seriously...

WDWSDH

Here is my question for people that have anxiety as my work dog has a different function in life. What exactly is an anxiety service dog trained to do?

Ok. This thread is YEARS old and probably no one who wrote here will ever see this. But in case anyone wanted an answer to this question, I will tell you an answer to it from my personal experience with my service dog. (And it's not the one in my pic.) My issue is not "just" "anxiety'. I am both physically and mentally disabled and am in a wheelchair. So my dog helps me with mobility tasks too, such as retrieving things for me, and helping me stand by bracing his back so I can support myself off of him when I go from a sitting to standing position.
In terms of "anxiety" I have PTSD, DID and sometimes psychotic symptoms, etc. (and major depressive disorder, OCD, yada, yada, yada) -- all severe.) So, does that mean my SD simply makes me feel comforted by being near me all the time? No. He is trained to do things such as blocking -- where I will use the command "block" and point either in front of me or behind me, where he will go respectively and sit, making a space between me and whoever is in front of or behind me (a useful PTSD distancing maneuver.) It keeps people out of my space so I don't panic as much. I also use him for things like DPT (deep pressure therapy) which is another trained task. DPT involves me giving him a command and then depending on where/how we are, he will drape his body over mine, which puts pressure around my legs and abdominal area, thereby physiologically alleviating physical anxiety. Other things he does include retrieving my medications and a drink to swallow them with on command. One thing that is not really a trained task, but that I use him for is hallucination discernment....I often have visual hallucinations (and other kinds) and if I'm seeing things, I can direct him to "walk through" my hallucinations, or even just observe him quietly to see whether he's reacting to anything in the environment. If I'm seeing something scary and violent with lots of people around and he's sitting quietly, not noticing anything at all, it's easier for me to try to reason inside that these things I'm seeing must not be reality. That's just a bonus, I guess :) There are several other things, but these are some of his primary tasks to give you an overall sense of the *types* of ways he helps me, whether when focusing more on mobility or mental illness. I also have suffered enormously with agoraphobia as part of my illnesses and having him has been an incredible help in allowing me to start getting out of the house again. I"m still very disabled and struggle a lot, but he continues to be quite the miracle maker. He is a trained service dog (training is what makes him a service dog, of course, as well as the fact that I meet the legal definition of disabled.)

We actually just came back from our first trip to WDW in June (it's almost Sept now.) And we had an awesome time! We spent two weeks, just my SD, me and my husband. We used the DAS and remarkably, had a fantastic experience with it. No complaints at all. Thank you for letting me share my experiences.

Princess Kaylee

Open someone out there that may have a service dog and has been to Disney can answer. My brother in law age 71 and my sister have just recieved their papers signifying their dog as a service dog. My Brother in law has anxiety and depression issues and his dog is a walking pacifer. Cant tell you type of dog it is but is real small. Anyway......we were talking bout their conversation they had with Disney on what they need to show and where the dog an and can not go. They pretty much said " its a state law" that the dog can go anywhere with them..anywhere. Ok so then I asked " What happens when you go on rides how are you going to do that? AND do they allow the dogs on rides too?" We were in Disney this past June and saw many service dogs BUT none in lines for rides, or on rides, or in attractions...say haunted Mansion.
So has anyone had dogs with them and actually taken them on rides??

I understand why people need service dogs, and I saw many on this trip. A few days ago I saw a poodle on Navi' River Journey. I worry about the dogs in these extremely hot temperatures, though. I suppose it's safe for dogs to go on rides like Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh. I never judge anyone for having a service animal or being in a scooter, because you can't see every disability.

Princess Kaylee

Do service dogs (real service dogs) get their feet toughened up so they can walk around on that hot cement all day? Or are dogs just naturally able to handle that?

If they start allowing pets in, maybe I'll take my cat and get her picture taken with Mickey. ;)

I saw a husky in Epcot wearing booties the other day!

EOD K9

Ok. This thread is YEARS old and probably no one who wrote here will ever see this. But in case anyone wanted an answer to this question, I will tell you an answer to it from my personal experience with my service dog. (And it's not the one in my pic.) My issue is not "just" "anxiety'. I am both physically and mentally disabled and am in a wheelchair. So my dog helps me with mobility tasks too, such as retrieving things for me, and helping me stand by bracing his back so I can support myself off of him when I go from a sitting to standing position.
In terms of "anxiety" I have PTSD, DID and sometimes psychotic symptoms, etc. (and major depressive disorder, OCD, yada, yada, yada) -- all severe.) So, does that mean my SD simply makes me feel comforted by being near me all the time? No. He is trained to do things such as blocking -- where I will use the command "block" and point either in front of me or behind me, where he will go respectively and sit, making a space between me and whoever is in front of or behind me (a useful PTSD distancing maneuver.) It keeps people out of my space so I don't panic as much. I also use him for things like DPT (deep pressure therapy) which is another trained task. DPT involves me giving him a command and then depending on where/how we are, he will drape his body over mine, which puts pressure around my legs and abdominal area, thereby physiologically alleviating physical anxiety. Other things he does include retrieving my medications and a drink to swallow them with on command. One thing that is not really a trained task, but that I use him for is hallucination discernment....I often have visual hallucinations (and other kinds) and if I'm seeing things, I can direct him to "walk through" my hallucinations, or even just observe him quietly to see whether he's reacting to anything in the environment. If I'm seeing something scary and violent with lots of people around and he's sitting quietly, not noticing anything at all, it's easier for me to try to reason inside that these things I'm seeing must not be reality. That's just a bonus, I guess :) There are several other things, but these are some of his primary tasks to give you an overall sense of the *types* of ways he helps me, whether when focusing more on mobility or mental illness. I also have suffered enormously with agoraphobia as part of my illnesses and having him has been an incredible help in allowing me to start getting out of the house again. I"m still very disabled and struggle a lot, but he continues to be quite the miracle maker. He is a trained service dog (training is what makes him a service dog, of course, as well as the fact that I meet the legal definition of disabled.)

We actually just came back from our first trip to WDW in June (it's almost Sept now.) And we had an awesome time! We spent two weeks, just my SD, me and my husband. We used the DAS and remarkably, had a fantastic experience with it. No complaints at all. Thank you for letting me share my experiences.
Thank you for your response. I have no problems with service K9s that are trained to perform a task. Its the people that say they just make them feel better are the ones that many have a problem with.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The squirrels that run in my yard make me feel a whole lot better about life. We're thinking about a trip to WDW some day soon.

Bronson55

It also further states this very important part:

I think that's the part so many people get upset over - myself included*. It's a horrible abuse of the law and really insults people with legitimate needs and the amazing work these service animals can provide when someone slaps a $25 "service dog" vest they bought on the internet on their pet thinking they are better than everyone else and that the rules and laws don't apply to them. It's disgusting and people who bring their pet should face severe punishment for taking advantage of the system set up to help truly disabled people like that.

*Not directed at anyone specifically, just saying in general pets are NOT service animals regardless if someone is willing to lie and say they are or not.
I don't have a horse in this race but was wondering ,what percentage of service dogs seen at WDW do you really think are just pets with a phony $ 25 service dog vest ? All kinds of not so nice things happen but I would rather tolerate one tea cup yorkie that was passed off as a service dog than see someone make a comment in front of the person who truly needs the support.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This came up in another thread...

Service Animals:

1. Service Animals do not need certification or papers, so, asking for proof doesn't mean anything. Some states have certification programs, but the Federal ADA doesn't require it.

2. You can ask: "Is that animal needed to provide a service because of a disability?" and "What service does it perform?"

3. Companion animals and emotional support animals are not service animals and are not covered by the ADA. They can be legally excluded.
  • Though, don't confuse these animals with a true service animal for someone with a psychiatric disorder. If they're a service animal, they do something the owner can't do for themselves.
  • And don't confuse any of these with a Therapy Animal which is used in nursing homes, e.g. Therapy Animals are not covered by the ADA.
4. If a Service Animal can't be reasonably accommodated (e.g. go on a bungee ride), then they can be excluded.

5. If a Service Animal is disruptive (barks in a theater, e.g.) it can be excluded.

6. Otherwise, Service Animals may not be excluded from places of public accommodation.​

Bibliography:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom