Question about Service Dogs

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Having a service dog has changed my life for the better. Not everyone can take a little pill to make them all better. A service dog is not right for every one either. I do run into discrimination at hotels and restaurants, as well as general public. But, having my dog with me, even at theme parks, makes my life...worth living. I can not expect to interfere with my family's happiness, and having my dog gives me the independence I deserve, without relying on anyone for help. So, the next time you see a person with a service dog, look at the big picture, that dog is give a person with limited abilities a life of independence. I phooey on those out there who mess that up because you think it would be cool to take your dog to the theme park, a restaurant or the store.
So do you train service dogs or need a service dog for anxiety reasons....I'm confused and it seems that you are also.

Ariel Savage

"To turn up at WDW and complain that the park isn't suitable for her (DISABLED) needs is daft, she isn't suitable for the park. - Jane Doe"
What is your quote in reference to? Who is this amazingly brave person calling herself Jane Doe?

Dwarful

This past trip May 31 - June 8 was the first time I really noticed more of the anxiety type service dogs in the parks. The only issue we noticed occurred at Mickeys Philharmagic. While in the lobby area the family with the dog got too close to a little girl with severe dog allergies and asthma. That poor little girl had to start her inhaler and you could see she was clearly distressed and the dad was pushing through the crowd to get her out of that area and yelling loudly about how dogs should be in certain areas only. Same dog (only dog during this show) had an accident toward the end of the show and it was NOT part of the smell scentsations one usually enjoys during this show.

We did also see a large seeing eye dog on multiple occasions (guess that family was on the same schedule as us) and that animal was behaving better than many of the adults we saw.

EOD K9

This past trip May 31 - June 8 was the first time I really noticed more of the anxiety type service dogs in the parks. The only issue we noticed occurred at Mickeys Philharmagic. While in the lobby area the family with the dog got too close to a little girl with severe dog allergies and asthma. That poor little girl had to start her inhaler and you could see she was clearly distressed and the dad was pushing through the crowd to get her out of that area and yelling loudly about how dogs should be in certain areas only. Same dog (only dog during this show) had an accident toward the end of the show and it was NOT part of the smell scentsations one usually enjoys during this show.

We did also see a large seeing eye dog on multiple occasions (guess that family was on the same schedule as us) and that animal was behaving better than many of the adults we saw.
Here is my question for people that have anxiety as my work dog has a different function in life. What exactly is an anxiety service dog trained to do?

cw1982

Here is my question for people that have anxiety as my work dog has a different function in life. What exactly is an anxiety service dog trained to do?

I don't have firsthand experience with this, but there's research out there that suggests that the dog has a calming effect for people with severe anxiety. My understanding is that the dog's presence provides a sense of comfort to the owner, possibly for a variety of reasons depending on the root cause of the person's anxiety.

EOD K9

I don't have firsthand experience with this, but there's research out there that suggests that the dog has a calming effect for people with severe anxiety. My understanding is that the dog's presence provides a sense of comfort to the owner, possibly for a variety of reasons depending on the root cause of the person's anxiety.
And that is where just being there to comfort somebody doesn't always make it a bona-fide service dog. Just about anyone's pet can be comforting to them and make them feel better. A service dog needs to be trained to provide an actual service. If anyone out there has an anxiety dog trained to do something, please enlighten me as I can have a better understanding and be better rounded in the ADA thing.
I have studied the ADA as much as possible when it comes to service animals, and it always goes back to what a previous poster said. "Do you have a disability that this dog helps you with, and what is he trained to do"? The "I like having him around and he makes me feel better" is usually not good enough. I know of some PTSD dogs that will help get their handler away from a crowd or lean into them to provide physical contact thus enabling them to feel better.

cw1982

And that is where just being there to comfort somebody doesn't always make it a bona-fide service dog. Just about anyone's pet can be comforting to them and make them feel better. A service dog needs to be trained to provide an actual service. If anyone out there has an anxiety dog trained to do something, please enlighten me as I can have a better understanding and be better rounded in the ADA thing.
I have studied the ADA as much as possible when it comes to service animals, and it always goes back to what a previous poster said. "Do you have a disability that this dog helps you with, and what is he trained to do"? The "I like having him around and he makes me feel better" is usually not good enough. I know of some PTSD dogs that will help get their handler away from a crowd or lean into them to provide physical contact thus enabling them to feel better.

The very last sentence you just typed may very well be more along the lines of how that works. I've only skimmed the surface of reading on this subject, so I really can't comment, other than to say that anxiety is one of those things that can be vastly different depending on a variety of factors, so it may not be so simple as providing a cookie cutter explanation.

EOD K9

The very last sentence you just typed may very well be more along the lines of how that works. I've only skimmed the surface of reading on this subject, so I really can't comment, other than to say that anxiety is one of those things that can be vastly different depending on a variety of factors, so it may not be so simple as providing a cookie cutter explanation.
I think the thing with people faking it or not, is the dog's mere presence enough to warrant service dog status.

Last edited:

cw1982

I think the thing with people faking it or not, is the dog's mere presence is not enough to warrant service dog status.

Yeah I understood what you were saying... I wish I knew more. I'm curious too because I often find myself working with students who have severe anxiety problems, so I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up yet in my classes. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, but given the other rarities I've seen, I'm still surprised lol.

jaklgreen

This is why the ADA does not acknowledge emotional support dogs as service dogs. These dogs do not fall under the ADA law and do not have the rights that service dogs have. You stated it well, most everyone is comforted by their pets(that's why we have them) but that does not mean you can legally bring your pet with you wherever you go. Unfortunately there is no way to measure mental health as opposed to a physical need to see who would need a support dog. Pretty much anyone can go to their doctor and say all the right things for them to justify bringing their dog with them everywhere. I feel bad for people with true mental issues but I don't want your untrained dog sitting next to me at a restaurant.

EOD K9

This is why the ADA does not acknowledge emotional support dogs as service dogs. These dogs do not fall under the ADA law and do not have the rights that service dogs have. You stated it well, most everyone is comforted by their pets(that's why we have them) but that does not mean you can legally bring your pet with you wherever you go. Unfortunately there is no way to measure mental health as opposed to a physical need to see who would need a support dog. Pretty much anyone can go to their doctor and say all the right things for them to justify bringing their dog with them everywhere. I feel bad for people with true mental issues but I don't want your untrained dog sitting next to me at a restaurant.
Exactly. I'm trying to be tactful as I understand people have special requirements, but it does annoy me when people slap a vest on their pet and call it an emotional support dog so they can bring it anywhere.

BuddyThomas

Doesn't anyone watch people's court. They had a case with a woman with her "emotional support" dog not being allowed to enter someplace. Judge went and looked up the law and said that untrained emotion support pets do not fall under the ADA and as such can be banned from places. Look it up. I would assume because they are more pets then trained service animals.
I saw this too and was about to post the same thing. Marilyn Milian rocks, and she just won an Emmy Award.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I draw the line at dogs & pets. The strollers, tour groups and ECVs are one thing, but if dogs start barking, running around and poopin' everywhere in the parks on top of all of that because Disney gets too lazy to enforce its own policies, I will not be going back.

Seeing eye dogs are given extensive training before they are given an owner (there's even a Disney movie about them!), but who knows how these "emotional support dogs" will behave in a crowded public space?

There's a reason Disney has a Kennel.

G00fyDad

Exactly. I'm trying to be tactful as I understand people have special requirements, but it does annoy me when people slap a vest on their pet and call it an emotional support dog so they can bring it anywhere.

Not to mention, where does it all end? If Disney were to simply open their doors to every single person who said "I need my chihuahua with me because of an emotional need" could you imagine the state of Main Street USA? It would likely have dog feces all down it because you know most people don't pick up after their dog. I guarantee you you'd be stepping in dog poop every time you took a step if every fifth person had a dog in there. But don't get me wrong, I'm not disparaging anybody who uses a service animal. Not by any means. But way too many people who just happen to be slightly nervous complain that they have an anxiety disorder when they don't. Others just take their dogs everywhere and claim that it's an ADA animal.

G00fyDad

Why is everyone so scared of touchy subjects? People learn things through meaningful debate, on occasion. Or would you rather read the three millionth thread on what attraction needs refurbishment the most?

Because people cannot handle touchy subjects. There is no such thing as a meaningful debate on the internet. Why don't we discuss abortion, or capital punishment? These topics will always, a-l-w-a-y-s, devolve into chaos, irritability, and name calling. And yeah, I'd love to read anything on here that does not involve childish and anonymous behavior. But let's wait.... you'll see.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why is everyone so scared of touchy subjects? People learn things through meaningful debate, on occasion. Or would you rather read the three millionth thread on what attraction needs refurbishment the most?
I think the person who brought it back up was just trolling. Two back-to-back posts that kind of negate each other.

BuddyThomas

Because people cannot handle touchy subjects. There is no such thing as a meaningful debate on the internet. Why don't we discuss abortion, or capital punishment? These topics will always, a-l-w-a-y-s, devolve into chaos, irritability, and name calling. And yeah, I'd love to read anything on here that does not involve childish and anonymous behavior. But let's wait.... you'll see.
Well, this isn't Newsvine or a number of other sites I could name where the crazy lunatics roam. All in all, I would say that this is a pretty good group of people on here, and I think you are selling people short if you think there cannot be meaningful discussion on controversial issues, especially since this is a monitored board and any really outrageous or offensive post gets deleted pretty quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom