Question about Service Dogs

G00fyDad

Way, way too logical! For some reason ADA thinks that it is less humiliating to be questioned mentally by everybody they come in contact with, then one central defining situation that would make the rest of the day an anxiety and question free breeze. Is it any wonder why today's youth thinks that adults are idiots? It's because many of them are!

Two of my close friends have children with Autism. Both of them would have no trouble providing proof to a centralized location at a theme park. I am not saying that this should be done everywhere the people go, but in a situation like a theme park I believe it is entirely plausible. But, as another poster mentioned, in order to have this a reality the entire law would have to change for everyone, and that will not happen. (and should not happen) It is a shame that a few idiots make this conversation even possible. :banghead:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oh okay, I understand now what you were saying with businesses not being able to turn people away with emotional support dogs then. I'm still glad I looked it up though, I hope I didn't offend you. I wasn't posting just to prove a point, I was generally curious, and maybe someone else who is reading this thread will learn something about all this. That does make things kind of confusing and harder for the people who really truly need the service the dog provides (including your autistic student) in terms of people judging and scrutinizing them.
Certainly no offense taken. And to be clear Ive been a school board member for years and the autistic student isn't mine personally, it is a student within our district that has a service dog now.

That stuff can be faked. Hence the issue we have been discussing. D-bags that ruin things like this for those with valid reasons.
Yep, the things that were never thought of when the government designed the privacy laws. What I fail to understand is how it is OK for the Government to ask specifics for a parking pass, maybe 'cause it is government issued pass not a business?
]
This assumes training takes place. Just like with handicap parking or the GAC, disgusting people are always trying to work the system. So people slap a vest, badge or whatever on their pet and call it a service dog.

There should be requirements to prove your dog is trained by some accredited organization. Or your service dog should require a "license" from the state (just like the placard you need for your car). Human morons cheating the system are a physical threat to others. People bringing their pets wherever (and I have been seeing this a lot more in malls) and calling them service animals is a recipe for disaster. Someone at some point is going to get hurt. It will most likely involve a child being bitten, and an idiot owner yelling and insisting, " My dog is harmless, my dog is friendly"!

And yeah, these morons also never take into account how dragging the dog everywhere affects the dog. But hey! Who cares about anything other than what they want? :mad:

A card or plate for your car is easy to implement. Certifying organizations or creating another department of government for dogs, licences etc., also lends itself to fraud. I can order a certification tag for my dog online as well as vests or harnesses. As I said a few posts up all trainers consider themselves experts. Who would develop a criteria for dogs for each and every disability out there.

But what I beg to differ is how dogs going with owners effects the dog. As long as the dog is not physically abused they genuinely have a great life going with their owners everywhere. They are very social and beats laying on the floor, home alone while their owner is at work all day. There is always risks with animals biting, service dogs or non. And it isn't just dogs. You have animals in the petting area of AK, you have geese and ducks that could bite on property, squirrels, gators, fish excursions. Heck we had a human go off the deep end and sent several CMs to the hospital outside Club Cool, not that long ago, so do we ban people too?

Gabe1

Two of my close friends have children with Autism. Both of them would have no trouble providing proof to a centralized location at a theme park. I am not saying that this should be done everywhere the people go, but in a situation like a theme park I believe it is entirely plausible. But, as another poster mentioned, in order to have this a reality the entire law would have to change for everyone, and that will not happen. (and should not happen) It is a shame that a few idiots make this conversation even possible. :banghead:

Yep, that was me. I've said it before, I am hearing impaired and flat out tell people to avoid the nervous tap dance of others. But on the flip side I would not appreciate being mandated to disclose and have some CM that likely doesn't have a degree in analyzing disabilities making decisions about services on my behalf. A service dog can be trained to notify of a fire alarm, tornado warning, stove timer, telephone, door bell/knock, the list is endless. Most of these CMs in guest relations because they have the personality and good judgement with guests not because they have a solid education with service for disabilities. The more businesses try to limit disabilities the more disabled push back, the more government tries to fix the attitudes of businesses the more messed up the system becomes. Too bad they can't scrap the whole system and start over with the knowledge of hindsight.

Hot Lava

But what I beg to differ is how dogs going with owners effects the dog. As long as the dog is not physically abused they genuinely have a great life going with their owners everywhere. They are very social and beats laying on the floor, home alone while their owner is at work all day. There is always risks with animals biting, service dogs or non. And it isn't just dogs. You have animals in the petting area of AK, you have geese and ducks that could bite on property, squirrels, gators, fish excursions. Heck we had a human go off the deep end and sent several CMs to the hospital outside Club Cool, not that long ago, so do we ban people too?

I cannot agree. Not all dogs that present a danger are abused. I have yet to come across a real, trained service dog that was not simply awesome. I even came across a person who had a pitbull service dog. And again, with every selfish moron dragging their dogs around everywhere, it is a great potential for a real problem. The kind of dog owners who claim there dogs are perfectly behaved - while they are snapping at you - are akin to the parents who think there kids are angels while they are actually a whirlwind of chaos and destruction.
I should be able to walk in the mall and not have to worry about stupid people and their bad dogs going after me and my kid. A reasonable person has certain expectations depending on where they are. I expect not to be accosted by dogs in the mall. It is bad enough if I am outside walking and people allow there dogs loose or on a long leash. They may claim that there dog is harmless, but I do not know that for a fact, and certainly do not know how they will react to strangers or a small child.

And yes, human menaces should be banned also.

I understand that licensing may be difficult, but it is better than nothing. while not the same, states manage to license and certify all kinds of other professionals: accountants, lawyers, nurses, doctors, etc.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That fact of the matter is, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, but the rights of people seemingly without problems, have been sacrificed for the purpose of helping those in need. Now if they had provided some provision for determining who was in need and who was gaming the system, I personally have no problem with that. However, the way the law is set up the innocent person is at risk. I used to drive a bus. At the time we couldn't ask anybody anything. I don't know if that was a requirement from the government or a company policy, cover my butt, ruling. Anyway, there were many dogs that were allowed on the bus that I felt were indeed a danger to other passengers. They were unruly, growled and lunged toward anyone the came near it and generally were of tremendous concern to me and my passengers. We also had customers that had legitimate service dogs. (blind and hearing, comes to mind) Those dogs were always very calm and controlled.

The whole thing came to a head when a customer attempted to enter my bus with a boa constrictor. I refused to let him on and called into my dispatcher to let them know. I was told that according to the rules he had a right to bring it on the bus with him. I told the dispatcher that he and his snake were welcome to get on the bus, but I wasn't going to be driving it. I was threatened with my job if I didn't get back on and drive the bus. I thought about it and decided that no job was worth that much anxiety and said. OK, send up someone to drive the bus, because it is not going to be me and I will turn in my stuff when I get back to the office.

When the guy saw that the bus wasn't going to move with him and his reptilian buddy in it. He got off the bus. I radioed back to the office and told them that he got off and asked them what they wanted me to do. They told me to do the run. The next day they talked to me an told me I was wrong. I told them if he had a right to carry that creature around on his shoulders all day, I most certainly had a right to have an anxiety level to high to safely drive a bus full of passenger. (All but one, BTW, had gotten off the bus when the snake went on.) If that were to cost me my job...so be it.

Shortly after they issued a new set of instructions with appropriate questions that we could ask and assured all the drivers that safety was their first concern even if it wasn't ADA's. If we felt uncomfortable and had a situation where we didn't think that we could maintain the concentration necessary to drive a 40 ft vehicle through city traffic, that they would try and set up a system where someone that felt OK with it could take over. No one ever did.

I always felt that my passengers were important enough to be protected from upset animals, angry people and anything that might cause them harm. I felt as a driver that it was my job to insure that. I cannot tell you how many times safety was either compromised or completely disregarded in the name of access. You can bet, however, that if something were to happen and people were injured it would be my license and my job for not following safety regulations. I decided that I would rather be in a situation where that was all compromised because I prevented someone from being hurt then because I followed stupid, unthought-out rules and someone was hurt. That I couldn't live with.

jaklgreen

huh? I'm confused. I'm really not commenting just to disagree, but you quoted from ada.gov and it clearly says

"The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA."

Yet you say that "emotional support dogs" are allowed based on the quote. I'm confused about how you came to that conclusion.

From everything I read, they have special considerations when it comes to housing that doesn't allow pets and for airline travel, but they don't have the same rights as service animals in other businesses.

Now there is a difference between an emotional support dog and a psychiatric service dog. I wonder if this is where some people are getting confused. Psychiatric service dogs have the same type of training as other service dogs and are trained for specifics tasks to help the patient.

So, to me, that makes it sound like that jaklgreen is correct in what you said. That business do have the right to deny access to "emotional support dogs".

Aside from the ada.gov website, there are several articles that come up on google that explain the differences between emotional support animals, which generally aren't trained to perform specific tasks, and service dogs (which can be for psychiatric issues as well). There are a lot of emotional support animals out there that don't have the same type of training as service dogs and they are usually classified as being "therapeutic" and don't have the same rights as "service dogs," in regular businesses, but they do have other special considerations.

Here's an article from 2011, which is when they clarified the new meaning of a service dog:

http://www.workinglikedogs.com/2011...stance-dogs-to-become-stricter-march-15-2011/

And here's a more recent one that explains the true benefits of emotional support animals, but that they are, indeed, not considered service animals.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/2/prweb10481392.htm

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. And I am a pet lover, and all for service animals, but I'm just wondering if people are getting confused between the terms "emotional support dogs" and "psychiatric service dogs" because there is a difference.

Edit: If I'm wrong, and there's something I'm not getting, feel free to let me know.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was saying. Trained service dogs are of course welcome everywhere, but the people who bring their PET with them saying it is an emotional support dog are the ones that can be turned away.

luv

I do think this thing with the dogs is getting out of control. If people cannot go out in public without a dog because they have emotional issues and are dependent on the dog's presence in order to cope with the world, they should stay inside or seek the help of a psychiatrist.

At the very least, charge the "emotional necessity" dog for a ticket. That would cut down on the abuse very quickly.

Too many pets being taken everywhere.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Yes since I have to fight things like this almost daily for my Daughter who is Special Needs, but because she does not "look it", I get told I am lying or trying to milk the system. So yep it does irritate me that people abuse the system ment to help her live a life as independently as possible. That people assume that any dog is just a pet, that when my Daughter is having a sensory overload she is just a brat that is not getting her way.

And the little boy I am talking about is my nephew.

So yes.
I don't think anyone has a problem with a valid service dog, its the people who bring their little lap dogs with them because they want to and use the phrase "emotional support" dog to get away with it. Those are the ones that even the government is trying to stop by saying they are not covered under the ADA. If you have a service animal, it should be just that. A working service animal should always be trained and should have to wear the vest so others know it is not a pet.

Chernaboggles

Personally, I think that service dogs and their handlers should have to be licensed like drivers: if they can pass the test, they can wear the vest - and the government needs to oversee the testing centers, just like the DMV. If someone has extreme anxiety and needs their dog with them, fine - do the work so that the dog can behave anywhere. Properly trained service animals aren't a problem, and it takes so much work to raise them that if someone wants to either put in the work themselves or pay someone else to do it so they can have an animal companion everywhere, so be it. I don't really even care if the person's disability is real so long as the animal's TRAINING is legit.

People just don't seem to realize how selfish and dangerous it is to bring a pet into pet-inappropriate places. You're not just imposing the animal on everyone around you, you're imposing the environment on the animal and he may not be able to cope. Most of those faux-service dogs are one loud noise away from bolting, with nothing but a trailing leash (if that) to save them from getting lost or hurt. People think Sparky is happiest when he's with his family, but if his family is riding on big noisy machines that zip them around curves at high speed, or waiting in the hot sun to get into a dark, crowded place full of strange smells, Sparky would much rather be at home with his toys. Or at doggie daycare, where he has other dogs to play with and no one is trying to make him pose for pictures with a giant mouse.

Goofyernmost

You have been told time and again why some people do not wish to explain complicated and embarrassing things to total strangers.

If you don't care about those people's feelings, that is a valid viewpoint.

Acting as if they do not have those feelings...or as if you had no idea that your suggestions would injure/upset them...I don't know. It's a little off-putting.

The youth always think they know everything and the adults around them are morons, Most people don't realize how little they know until they're 25 or 30. Young people who think they know everything...espeically college kids, lol...not a new concept, especially in our country.
I know they have feelings, I'm just waiting for someone to tell me how explaining their needs to everyone they meet, looking at suspicious faces, feeling like they are doing something wrong when they aren't is contributing to their mental wellness. Please explain it to me. I don't know how flashing an ID card is more of a problem then all those things I just mentioned. It's a little off putting to me that we make these people explain themselves over and over again and still know that people didn't necessarily believe them. Why do we, as able people think we know what the disabled feel. Do we even ask them or do we assume that we know best. I think it's the later. I think that the only people that would be upset by a central ID location would be those that are trying to get away with something. A disabled person, or at least everyone that I knew, has come to terms with their disabilities a long time ago. It's the rest of us that think we know better or feel that there is a need to be ashamed to have a disability. It's been awhile since that was the case.

Last edited:

EOD K9

. I have one in my town that shouts "OUT" instead of No because "OUT" is in her theory sounds like Momma dogs sound when correcting her puppies. The ones that speak German to their Pups are funny. Good for police sure, but come'on, for a pet?
I use "OUT" with my partner when something is in his mouth and I want him to drop it. It is a specific command for a specific action. "No" is usually used for an action that he is about to take and I don't want him doing it.

Also, it doesn't matter how well trained a service dog is, they are still an animal, and if they feel like doing their own thing at some point, they will.

Gabe1

I use "OUT" with my partner when something is in his mouth and I want him to drop it. It is a specific command for a specific action. "No" is usually used for an action that he is about to take and I don't want him doing it.

Also, it doesn't matter how well trained a service dog is, they are still an animal, and if they feel like doing their own thing at some point, they will.

lol. I know there are lots of OUT people about. It gives me a good giggle everytime I hear it.

Yep, that is close to the answer I give with my Pup when asked if he is friendly or if he bites. He never has bitten but one just never knows for sure. He is 100# of Happy Dog but who knows. Say can be said for humans you just never know what they will do or how they will behave.

Gabe1

I cannot agree. Not all dogs that present a danger are abused. I have yet to come across a real, trained service dog that was not simply awesome. I even came across a person who had a pitbull service dog. And again, with every selfish moron dragging their dogs around everywhere, it is a great potential for a real problem. The kind of dog owners who claim there dogs are perfectly behaved - while they are snapping at you - are akin to the parents who think there kids are angels while they are actually a whirlwind of chaos and destruction.
I should be able to walk in the mall and not have to worry about stupid people and their bad dogs going after me and my kid. A reasonable person has certain expectations depending on where they are. I expect not to be accosted by dogs in the mall. It is bad enough if I am outside walking and people allow there dogs loose or on a long leash. They may claim that there dog is harmless, but I do not know that for a fact, and certainly do not know how they will react to strangers or a small child.

And yes, human menaces should be banned also.

I understand that licensing may be difficult, but it is better than nothing. while not the same, states manage to license and certify all kinds of other professionals: accountants, lawyers, nurses, doctors, etc.

I'm not believing the comparisons you are making would ever be a possibility. Accountants lawyers nurses doctors go through years and years of higher education and are taught by by professors, are tested before they enter/exit most of these programs you use as an examples. My DD coming out of the University of Illinois this semester tuition/books/dorm will be around $150,000 for a 4 year degree. To elevate animal trainers in the same category as the above to certify animals and test them out with standardized consistency you desire in the above exampled careers. Those Services animals would completely out of reach for the disabled and likely only last 8-10 years of working. Trainers at SeaWorld, Disney, Zoo's have the formal education but having facilities and staff of that caliber is astronomical.

I am an advocate for service dogs and as I've said my DDs University trains these Pups on Campus. If you had to be first educated and then certified to train these animals and pay for a professional to administer a standardize testing forum the University could not afford those requirements. Further adding in state or federal licences would add another layer of government employees and fee's for consumer. That is a lot of education and expenses to layer onto the average cost of a service dog as the costs would have to be passed on to the end user of the service dog. Instead of volunteers training service animals you would be paying tens of thousands of dollars for a highly educated person to train the animals instead to a standardized method for certification.

I won't touch the Pitt Bull debate, it is like politics or religion. I've yet to witness the chaos and destruction in situations you describe and we have one of the largest malls in the World in Northern Illinois so I can't speak to those experiences. Yikes!

Hot Lava

I'm not believing the comparisons you are making would ever be a possibility. Accountants lawyers nurses doctors go through years and years of higher education and are taught by by professors, are tested before they enter/exit most of these programs you use as an examples. My DD coming out of the University of Illinois this semester tuition/books/dorm will be around $150,000 for a 4 year degree. To elevate animal trainers in the same category as the above to certify animals and test them out with standardized consistency you desire in the above exampled careers. Those Services animals would completely out of reach for the disabled and likely only last 8-10 years of working. Trainers at SeaWorld, Disney, Zoo's have the formal education but having facilities and staff of that caliber is astronomical.

I am an advocate for service dogs and as I've said my DDs University trains these Pups on Campus. If you had to be first educated and then certified to train these animals and pay for a professional to administer a standardize testing forum the University could not afford those requirements. Further adding in state or federal licences would add another layer of government employees and fee's for consumer. That is a lot of education and expenses to layer onto the average cost of a service dog as the costs would have to be passed on to the end user of the service dog. Instead of volunteers training service animals you would be paying tens of thousands of dollars for a highly educated person to train the animals instead to a standardized method for certification.

I won't touch the Pitt Bull debate, it is like politics or religion. I've yet to witness the chaos and destruction in situations you describe and we have one of the largest malls in the World in Northern Illinois so I can't speak to those experiences. Yikes!

Those are some gigantic leaps of logic read into my statement. There are a lot of licenses and training required for things that do not require all the training and schooling you describe. You need training and to pass a standardized test to get a drivers license, but not all that school (or any for that matter). If you go for a motorcycle license, many jurisdictions require some sort of standardized additional training. To be considered a service dog and all the allowances they get, there should be some type of standardized training and licensing. Yeah, it is no guarantee of behavior in a service dog, but having gone to school and get licensed is no guarantee you are getting a good, or event decent doctor, lawyer, or accountant.

chaos and destruction in situations you describe
Hyperbole much? I am sure I could list a dozen things right now that you have never witnessed, but that happen and do so with frequency. And wasn't Illinois - Rockford to be exact - where some guy self-immolated? And that same mall saw a thwarted terror plot? I guess dogs are the least of the problems in malls in IL. o_O

Gabe1

Those are some gigantic leaps of logic read into my statement. There are a lot of licenses and training required for things that do not require all the training and schooling you describe. You need training and to pass a standardized test to get a drivers license, but not all that school (or any for that matter). If you go for a motorcycle license, many jurisdictions require some sort of standardized additional training. To be considered a service dog and all the allowances they get, there should be some type of standardized training and licensing. Yeah, it is no guarantee of behavior in a service dog, but having gone to school and get licensed is no guarantee you are getting a good, or event decent doctor, lawyer, or accountant.

Hyperbole much? I am sure I could list a dozen things right now that you have never witnessed, but that happen and do so with frequency. And wasn't Illinois - Rockford to be exact - where some guy self-immolated? And that same mall saw a thwarted terror plot? I guess dogs are the least of the problems in malls in IL. o_O

I used the careers you gave as examples, no more no less. For many posts I've questioned who is going to certify the trainers and to what standards. Who in the government is going to oversea the law? Who is going to pay for all these streamlined criteria and monitor the facilities and trainers.

Lots of people have grand ideas but have few real solutions for the costs of implementing or the extremely high costs to the end user. Just like in schools with Federal Mandates, they generally lack funding attached to the mandates leaving others holding the bag for legislative grand ideas. I see the problems that do exist, I don't see service dog fraud as an epidemic.

I have no idea what you are referring to topically in Rockford. Never been there. How does immolated and terrorist plots ties into service dogs misbehaving in the malls? I'm missing something. :eek:

CariRae

I work for one of the largest guide dog schools in North America. We are part of the International Guide Dog Federation, which has standards that guide dog schools, worldwide, must meet to be part of the organization.

Most schools,including the one I work for, have 3-4 year programs to train their guide dog instructors. (We have quite a few animal trainers from aquariums and zoos...they also go through our entire training process.) Our volunteer puppy raisers work with staff members while raising (that's my current position with my school...I'm in charge of about 45 families and their pups). Once the raisers have put the basics on the pup, they go back to our headquarters (around 18 months old) and the guide dog instructors train the dogs with guide dog commands for about 6 months. Overall, one guide dog from our school costs $45,000 to breed, train, and provide lifetime support, but our clients don't pay for anything and we get all.monies from private donors and corporations (nothing from the government). This is pretty typical of all major guide/service dog schools.

I feel like dogs trained in the large schools would be easy to provide a more standard I'D, but it's the very small schools or individuals who train their own service dog that would have more hoops to jump through to get some sort of standard ID.

As a sidenote for the person who posted about driving the bus, if a service animal is disruptive or threatening (barking, growling, snapping, lunging) toward others, the ADA does allow the ejection of the animal from the premises. However, the person with the disability must be allowed to continue to use the services/shop/etc without the animal.

My family has decided to not bring my guide pup in training since it will be the first time to WDW for several of my family members and we don't want to risk having to.miss something fun like fireworks, as we would have to do what was most beneficial for my.pup.

Goofyernmost

As a sidenote for the person who posted about driving the bus, if a service animal is disruptive or threatening (barking, growling, snapping, lunging) toward others, the ADA does allow the ejection of the animal from the premises. However, the person with the disability must be allowed to continue to use the services/shop/etc without the animal.

Absolutely true but the ability to control a situation AFTER someone is injured is NOT the way to deal with anything. I will always rule in favor of being proactive instead of reactive. With my story about the snake. I never denied the owner a ride, it was the snake that was going to take alternate transportation.:angelic: If the symptoms are recognized at a convenient time things can be done, however if you are driving down a busy city street and the situation presents itself, there is little that can be done in time to prevent harm coming to an innocent person or child.

Gabe1

I work for one of the largest guide dog schools in North America. We are part of the International Guide Dog Federation, which has standards that guide dog schools, worldwide, must meet to be part of the organization.

Most schools,including the one I work for, have 3-4 year programs to train their guide dog instructors. (We have quite a few animal trainers from aquariums and zoos...they also go through our entire training process.) Our volunteer puppy raisers work with staff members while raising (that's my current position with my school...I'm in charge of about 45 families and their pups). Once the raisers have put the basics on the pup, they go back to our headquarters (around 18 months old) and the guide dog instructors train the dogs with guide dog commands for about 6 months. Overall, one guide dog from our school costs $45,000 to breed, train, and provide lifetime support, but our clients don't pay for anything and we get all.monies from private donors and corporations (nothing from the government). This is pretty typical of all major guide/service dog schools.

I feel like dogs trained in the large schools would be easy to provide a more standard I'D, but it's the very small schools or individuals who train their own service dog that would have more hoops to jump through to get some sort of standard ID.

My family has decided to not bring my guide pup in training since it will be the first time to WDW for several of my family members and we don't want to risk having to.miss something fun like fireworks, as we would have to do what was most beneficial for my.pup.

Cool! I love members with direct knowledge

What is the average salary for someone who works at the Guide School? My DD's is all volunteers?

Are the Guide Dogs free? or is their a charge?

Are your guide dog certifications self created by your the school or does a governmental body evaluate the dogs you train before they are placed?

CariRae

Absolutely true but the ability to control a situation AFTER someone is injured is NOT the way to deal with anything. I will always rule in favor of being proactive instead of reactive. With my story about the snake. I never denied the owner a ride, it was the snake that was going to take alternate transportation.:angelic: If the symptoms are recognized at a convenient time things can be done, however if you are driving down a busy city street and the situation presents itself, there is little that can be done in time to prevent harm coming to an innocent person or child.

I'm definitely not talking about the snake. I totally think you were right and your bus company was wrong. A service animal is trained to do a task and there is no way you can truly train a snake! This is also why emotional support animals do not have the same access rights as service animal (they are not trained to do anything specific for the person), but it's a little harder for people to discern the difference when it's a dog.

I was actually referencing your first statement about having experienced unruly "service" dogs on your bus. I hope CMs realize that is part of the law, as well. Yes, they are animals, so even a service dog can get spooked and bark or be sick and have an accident, but they should never be putting anyone in danger. (Although some people think every dog is a danger. I've experienced that when my dog was just laying under a table, sleeping, and someone screams about the "vicious" dog!)

CariRae

Cool! I love members with direct knowledge

What is the average salary for someone who works at the Guide School? My DD's is all volunteers?

Are the Guide Dogs free? or is their a charge?

Are your guide dog certifications self created by your the school or does a governmental body evaluate the dogs you train before they are placed?

I'm not totally positive what the average salary is as we have several hundred employees with very different jobs. However, the entry level position for those aspiring to become guide dog instructors is probably about $30,000 at this point. The entry position has you working in the kennels and also with the vet staff and some basic work with the training department. The salaries go up quite a bit as you are promoted, but it is a nonprofit, so we aren't in the job for the money! ;)

The high majority of any large service dog school IS going to be the volunteers, as all are non profits. While we have 250 or so employees, we have over 1200 volunteers.

Our dogs are completely free of charge and most large schools are the same (or they might have a very small fee less than $1000). This includes no charge to our clients for spending about a month being trained at our residential facility.

Our credentials are individualized to our school,but the International Guide Dog Federation has to approve of our process. In the state of California, where the largest guide dog school in North America is located, the state has requirements and there are colleges that offer training for this type of work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom