Pyro cut from Peace on Earth

marcriss

We've seen the PoE tag the last few years and the end has definitely been lessened. Having seen it 5 of the past 8 nights, they beefed up the end on the weekends, particularly this weekend. It's still great but doesn't shake you to your core and takes up much less sky.

tirian

:D Good. Those are always fantastic.

Wish for Love? That's Beauty and the Beast, right? What's gone, the comets?:(

Nearly every waterfall (I think that's what it's called) is gone. Several of the bigger bursts have been cut, too. The "Wishes Set Free" portion with the Genie has also been significantly—and noticeably—scaled back. The finale seems about the same.

fotofx

I am a pyrotechnician for a major display company (NOT DISNEY).. Allot of the "chest thumping" that you feel from a fireworks display is the launch charge. When the shells are in the mortar there is a black powder charge on the bottom of the shell that launches it up into the air. The larger the shell, the larger the charge. Normally this would also start the time fuse for the charge that breaks the shell in the sky.

Disney is using a system that eliminates the lift charge. They are using air to fire the shell in the air and electronic timing to control the break.

I do not know all the particulars of Disney's system but this may be why the show seems less intense.

It is much safer to use air because most accidents happen when the lift charge goes off and the shell either never leaves the tube or doesn't send the shell up high enough..

Hope this helps..

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The Illuminations/PoE cuts aren't very noticeable; just a few days ago, Illuminations was running at almost 100%, including the perimeter flares.

But the cuts in Wishes are EXTREMELY obvious, and the majority of cuts seem to have occurred in the "Wish for Love" segment.

Sorry but if Mrs Sak can notice something a miss then it is most definately noticeable

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am a pyrotechnician for a major display company (NOT DISNEY).. Allot of the "chest thumping" that you feel from a fireworks display is the launch charge. When the shells are in the mortar there is a black powder charge on the bottom of the shell that launches it up into the air. The larger the shell, the larger the charge. Normally this would also start the time fuse for the charge that breaks the shell in the sky.

Disney is using a system that eliminates the lift charge. They are using air to fire the shell in the air and electronic timing to control the break.

I do not know all the particulars of Disney's system but this may be why the show seems less intense.

It is much safer to use air because most accidents happen when the lift charge goes off and the shell either never leaves the tube or doesn't send the shell up high enough..

Hope this helps..

There are a total of 3 air launch shells in Reflections of Earth. The very first 3 shots. All the rest are traditional lift charge. There are no air launch in Wishes.
Got a good picture of the air launch canon for the first shot at http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...lery/20Feb2009-Air-Launch-Firework-cannon.htm :)

EPCOT Explorer

Hope this helps..

So, pardon how stupid this sounds :)lookaroun:lol:) but there are two bangs?:lol:

tirian

Hope this helps..

I think they've only completely converted to that system at Disneyland.

Less fireworks and no Holiday napkins,less christmas lighting.Wow its the little things we notice.They got to stop cutting things because us annual passholders do notice.:dazzle:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think they've only completely converted to that system at Disneyland.
I was told not but can`t confirm it.

One thing I did notice with POE this year - probably rain related - but one night (Dec 2) at least half the final barrage from the WWIII barges didn`t fire. Worked fine both nights either side and I was very impressed (though it was my first year seeing it in person)

CrashNet

Don't worry...you are correct...its been cut.

If you watch the tag during the final barrage of pyro at the end, there is a noticeable moment when no pyro explodes between the colored bursts and the final white salutes. I've watched the sky, and then watched the launch tubes on one of the WWIII barges. When the barge starts launching the finale, pieces are launched in rapid succession, side-by-side. In the past, this launch was continuous. This year, there is about a 1 to 2 second space in the middle of the rapid launch. The way I see it, the timecode is programmed to signal all of the launch tubes. To make sure they begin on time and end on time, and to cut pieces, they simply don't load all of them in the middle.

It's noticeable, and I wish they would stop cutting back on things. Its starting to get ridiculous.

tirian

Don't worry...you are correct...its been cut.

If you watch the tag during the final barrage of pyro at the end, there is a noticeable moment when no pyro explodes between the colored bursts and the final white salutes. I've watched the sky, and then watched the launch tubes on one of the WWIII barges. When the barge starts launching the finale, pieces are launched in rapid succession, side-by-side. In the past, this launch was continuous. This year, there is about a 1 to 2 second space in the middle of the rapid launch. The way I see it, the timecode is programmed to signal all of the launch tubes. To make sure they begin on time and end on time, and to cut pieces, they simply don't load all of them in the middle.

It's noticeable, and I wish they would stop cutting back on things. Its starting to get ridiculous.

:eek:

Oh.

There were lots of execs in the park the night I watched the PoE tag. Maybe that's why the end didn't seem noticeably less impressive to me. :shrug:

Like I said, the Wishes cuts are VERY obvious.

TimeTrip

Just chiming in. Finally saw the tag last Friday. The final chest thumping barrage seemed about as strong as previous years, but didn't seem to last as long. That was my feeling anyways.

EPCOT Explorer

:eek:

Oh.

There were lots of execs in the park the night I watched the PoE tag. Maybe that's why the end didn't seem noticeably less impressive to me. :shrug:

Like I said, the Wishes cuts are VERY obvious.

:lol::zipit: Typical...THEY cut, but THEY get the full show...:brick:

Show them half a show...I really wonder if they'll cut things, then

WDW Monorail

Just judging from the video, and what CrashNet has said, the smaller white shells between the colored (red,green,blue) and the Titanium Salutes have been slightly cut back, maybe 40 shells total of roughly 1000 in the whole show. Certainly not a huge deal and those particular shells do not have a very powerful lift charge or break.
The 4" Ti Salutes seem to be exactly the same as before.

As for air launching the shells, Steve covered it very well. Only 3 shells are launched with 2 air bursts. The opening Dahlias are launched from the center slip with a single burst of air. They are essentially stacked on top of each other and e-matched together in the same tube.
DL launches all of it's larger pyro with air, meaning everything from the main site. The 3" comets that come in from the left and right of the castle are also air launched, using tubes almost exactly like the one in EPCOT. I can't say for sure what the low level castle stuff is. Might be a combination of both because it seems impractical to me to fire mines pneumatically.

To follow up on Wishes, whatever was removed is barely noticeable. The first thing I noticed were the 10s and I had to watch the show a few more times to see any other differences.

tirian

Just judging from the video, and what CrashNet has said, the smaller white shells between the colored (red,green,blue) and the Titanium Salutes have been slightly cut back, maybe 40 shells total of roughly 1000 in the whole show. Certainly not a huge deal and those particular shells do not have a very powerful lift charge or break.
The 4" Ti Salutes seem to be exactly the same as before.

As for air launching the shells, Steve covered it very well. Only 3 shells are launched with 2 air bursts. The opening Dahlias are launched from the center slip with a single burst of air. They are essentially stacked on top of each other and e-matched together in the same tube.
DL launches all of it's larger pyro with air, meaning everything from the main site. The 3" comets that come in from the left and right of the castle are also air launched, using tubes almost exactly like the one in EPCOT. I can't say for sure what the low level castle stuff is. Might be a combination of both because it seems impractical to me to fire mines pneumatically.

To follow up on Wishes, whatever was removed is barely noticeable. The first thing I noticed were the 10s and I had to watch the show a few more times to see any other differences.

I just watched Wishes a few days ago, and the cuts were very noticeable in the Wish for Love and Genie segments.

WDW Monorail

I just watched Wishes a few days ago, and the cuts were very noticeable in the Wish for Love and Genie segments.

I see very few changes in A Wish for Love, just 3 shells that I can count, and the Genie segment is entirely intact in all the videos I have seen from November and December. There may have been a misfire or some other glitch in the show you saw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom