pwned by Spirit

wild01ride

Well, we had a nice little vacation planned, for a little something called a WEDDING...well, I guess my story's not that bad...
Anyway, we had flights through Spirit (first mistake, right!?) to arrive at 11:55a.m. on a Sat. and to leave at 6:40p.m. on the following Sat. As it turns out, we got an email that "Our itinerary has changed".
Hmm..OK, let's check this out: Sooo, fortunately, our outbound flight is (so far) intact, however, our return flight has been dropped in lieu of a 10:40a.m. flight. I know that we'll still get to enjoy our trip and whatnot, but dog-gone it, this is our Wedding/Honeymoon trip and I feel like we're getting jipped out of a day!

The worst part about it is Spirit and the fact that you have to pay for everything but breathe on their flights now (or maybe that email is on the way too!).

You start off with their "Ultra low-cost carrier" ($255/1-way="ultra low-cost carrier"????) rate, then...oh, you wanted to bring luggage? That'll cost you...and, by the way, if you want a seat, that'll cost you extra too. Not to mention, you're going to pay for juice, soda, water, ANYTHING on their flights now.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but rant about this - going from a 6:40p.m. flight to a 10:40a.m. is a BIG difference - it makes the difference between having a day to do something and not having a day. UGH!

:fork:

DisneyPrincess5

Oooo sorry you had a not so wonderful experience! Some of those "low cost carriers" and certain too good to be true deals are just that, too good to be true, and they're more trouble than anything else!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Could always be worse:

- they could have canceled a flight completely
- turned a non-stop into one with 1 or more stops

BTW, they could always change it again.....

Relax. It happens to all of us.

Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

If you are that upset, you can cancel the reservation and book with one of the many deals out now. Most carriers will let you cancel for free if there is an "unreasonable" flight change and I would argue 6 hours is unreasonable. Say you are going on a cruise and that change will not work for you ("how am I supposed to get back into port at 7 am and be ready for a 10 am flight?").

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

We use Spirit all the time and love them out of Atlantic City.

Just call Spirit up (phone # included in email) and ask to be put on another outbound flight. It's happened to us before where they cancel our booked flight and bump us to another. We don't like the new flight so we call and get on a flight we want.

Spirit was very helpful. Give it a try.

Upvote 0

erstwo

If you are that upset, you can cancel the reservation and book with one of the many deals out now. Most carriers will let you cancel for free if there is an "unreasonable" flight change and I would argue 6 hours is unreasonable. Say you are going on a cruise and that change will not work for you ("how am I supposed to get back into port at 7 am and be ready for a 10 am flight?").

I agree with this. We had a similar situation with Alligiant (sp?) Air. They changed our departure times. They were a few hours different, so we just got a full refund and booked with Southwest -paid about $200 more (split between 4 tickets) and were very, very happy!

Upvote 0

tnemgif

This type of thing seems to be a common theme lately. Our trip last year involved our flights and seats being changed multiple times, and this was through Delta.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
You start off with their "Ultra low-cost carrier" ($255/1-way="ultra low-cost carrier"????) rate, then...oh, you wanted to bring luggage? That'll cost you...and, by the way, if you want a seat, that'll cost you extra too. Not to mention, you're going to pay for juice, soda, water, ANYTHING on their flights now.

Incidentally, I fly Continental down from Newark and have NEVER paid more than $250 roundtrip, where you get everything but checked luggage. As someone else said, sometimes the "value" airlines are not really a value at all.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Anyway, we had flights through Spirit (first mistake, right!?) to arrive at 11:55a.m. on a Sat. and to leave at 6:40p.m. on the following Sat. As it turns out, we got an email that "Our itinerary has changed".
Hmm..OK, let's check this out: Sooo, fortunately, our outbound flight is (so far) intact, however, our return flight has been dropped in lieu of a 10:40a.m. flight. I know that we'll still get to enjoy our trip and whatnot, but dog-gone it, this is our Wedding/Honeymoon trip and I feel like we're getting jipped out of a day!

Sorry, but I couldn't help but rant about this - going from a 6:40p.m. flight to a 10:40a.m. is a BIG difference - it makes the difference between having a day to do something and not having a day. UGH!

Well, the problem isn't confined to Spirit. As far as I know, EVERY airline except Southwest changes flight times quite often. If you decide never to fly Spirit again, the problem is that you'll run into the same situation with any other airline you go to.

Of course, I feel badly for you ... it stinks to have your vacation shortened by what amounts to a whole day.

But they all do it.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Incidentally, I fly Continental down from Newark and have NEVER paid more than $250 roundtrip, where you get everything but checked luggage. As someone else said, sometimes the "value" airlines are not really a value at all.

I have seen EWR/MCO fares up in the $350 range many times.

I don't go when they are like that, but in popular periods they can get up there.

If you Fly Continental semi-often, look into their credit card. It's $85 a year, but you get your first peice of luggage free, and the same goes for all the people in your party as well (they have to be under the same reservation)

If you fly with other people, you can quickly make up that $85 fee and then be into savings. (plus you get miles, who doesn't like miles :) )

Of course if you are Elite status you get free luggage anyway.

-dave

Upvote 0

Cynderella

I've flown Southwest several times and absolutely loved them. They are always on time and you actually get a drink AND a snack AND no bag fees!

Upvote 0

ColinCodymom

The same exact thing happened to me with Spirit last week. They now only have one outbound flight and one inbound flight per day. The day we fly home, our flight time changed from 640 to 1210. We felt the same way. We lost the whole day. But, we are going to Disney!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom