Trip Report Putting 2020 behind us!

It goes without saying that 2020 has been a crazy stressful year for everyone. We decided to celebrate it's end with a trip to see our favorite mouse. After much discussion we finally pulled the trigger and made reservations for January 8th to the 22nd. This will be an extremely laid back trip spending as much time off property as in the bubble. We had timeshare points so we will be staying off property but still close enough to pop over on non park days.

We let our APs die and won't be renewing them for a bit as this is a dual purpose trip. We lived in the Orlando area for 7 years and moved to Tennessee in 2013 to take care of my DWs parents. It has been a crazy year of travel with my father in the Chicago area fighting cancer and moving into a much smaller duplex in a retirement community and my wife's parents going to assisted living. My SIL is in Tennessee and my sister is in Chicago so family is close for both of our parents and we decided it was time. We are moving back to Florida!!

This will be a trip to to relax and enjoy Disney, but also to find a house (we currently own one in Kissimmee, but decided to keep renting it out), because the market looks favorable and it is definitely a seller's market in TN. My brother and his family live in Orlando so we will also be seeing him. He is very excited about our return and has been doing a lot of the legwork in the house hunt. We will be driving down so we will have our car. My wife is having a lot of issues with her hip and we will be renting a scooter for most of the time we will be in Florida. It has been a long time since she needed one (knee replacement in 2010). Does anyone have any suggestions of a decent company with good prices?

We have not reserved park days yet, or even purchased tickets. Technically we are still FL residents so we are waiting to see what offers Disney drops for January. The park calendar for our dates looks green for the entire time. Hopefully crowd levels will be low. Knowing that we will returning soon we are thinking 4 park days, one at each park. We still have several friends that perform nightly at Disney Springs, so I have no doubt we will spend several evenings there. If any other magicians will be down around the same time, we would love to do some meet ups.

I will be updating dates, times, and reservations in the next few weeks and we will attempt a semi live trip report. Our non park days may include some resort hopping and dinning, attractions around the area, and a trip to Crystal River to see the Manatees!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I am very excited for you! Not just the trip but the move back to Florida. I can not wait to hear all about it!!

Also, we rented from Walker Mobility Scooter a couple times for my MIL and FIL. They are very nice and dependable. They delivered and picked up to the resort and I believe their prices were in the ballpark of the other companies.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Is there a list posted anywhere of what Dining is closed in each park?? It would make planning our days much easier.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Is there a list posted anywhere of what Dining is closed in each park?? It would make planning our days much easier.
If you go on MDE, chose your park as if you were going to look at wait times but select “dining” from the pull down menu, then select list and the list will show you what is open and what is temporarily unavailable.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you go on MDE, chose your park as if you were going to look at wait times but select “dining” from the pull down menu, then select list and the list will show you what is open and what is temporarily unavailable.
Thanks!! I should have known that :banghead:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
They say you should never ask a question you don't want the answer to but.....When do you think they will take down the Christmas Decorations at the Magic Kingdom this year?

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Well, they just extended park hours through January 9th I believe. So I assume they are considering the holiday season goes until then??? Does that sound logical?

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, they just extended park hours through January 9th I believe. So I assume they are considering the holiday season goes until then??? Does that sound logical?
I saw that and we came to the same conclusion. Looks like our arrival may be the 6th or 7th now:D

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Good things come to those who wait (or procrastinate)!!

Disney's new Florida resident 4 day ticket for $50 a day!!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
JAN 5th Day -2 (yes that is a minus)

Time to go semi live. Day -2 because the vacation doesn't really start until we hit Florida.

WHO: Myself and my DW Sabrina
WHEN: JAN 7th to the 29TH
WHERE: Off Property because we had time share points to burn.
WHY 1: 2020 was an awful year and we needed a break.
WHY 2: We are scouting a house because we are moving back to Florida!

We got on the road on time and were on our way.

MontEagle.jpg

After a quick stop a top Monteagle TN to stretch our legs we continued South.

We stopped at Cracker Barrel for a bite to eat and it did not disappoint!

CrackerBarrel.jpg

A quick bathroom break and we were back on the road.

naked.jpg

I felt kind of funny standing naked in the bathroom but Rules are rules :cool:

We stopped for the night just North of Atlanta.

Coming up Day -1!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom