Trip Report Putting 2020 behind us!

It goes without saying that 2020 has been a crazy stressful year for everyone. We decided to celebrate it's end with a trip to see our favorite mouse. After much discussion we finally pulled the trigger and made reservations for January 8th to the 22nd. This will be an extremely laid back trip spending as much time off property as in the bubble. We had timeshare points so we will be staying off property but still close enough to pop over on non park days.

We let our APs die and won't be renewing them for a bit as this is a dual purpose trip. We lived in the Orlando area for 7 years and moved to Tennessee in 2013 to take care of my DWs parents. It has been a crazy year of travel with my father in the Chicago area fighting cancer and moving into a much smaller duplex in a retirement community and my wife's parents going to assisted living. My SIL is in Tennessee and my sister is in Chicago so family is close for both of our parents and we decided it was time. We are moving back to Florida!!

This will be a trip to to relax and enjoy Disney, but also to find a house (we currently own one in Kissimmee, but decided to keep renting it out), because the market looks favorable and it is definitely a seller's market in TN. My brother and his family live in Orlando so we will also be seeing him. He is very excited about our return and has been doing a lot of the legwork in the house hunt. We will be driving down so we will have our car. My wife is having a lot of issues with her hip and we will be renting a scooter for most of the time we will be in Florida. It has been a long time since she needed one (knee replacement in 2010). Does anyone have any suggestions of a decent company with good prices?

We have not reserved park days yet, or even purchased tickets. Technically we are still FL residents so we are waiting to see what offers Disney drops for January. The park calendar for our dates looks green for the entire time. Hopefully crowd levels will be low. Knowing that we will returning soon we are thinking 4 park days, one at each park. We still have several friends that perform nightly at Disney Springs, so I have no doubt we will spend several evenings there. If any other magicians will be down around the same time, we would love to do some meet ups.

I will be updating dates, times, and reservations in the next few weeks and we will attempt a semi live trip report. Our non park days may include some resort hopping and dinning, attractions around the area, and a trip to Crystal River to see the Manatees!

amjt660

Premium Member
Ditto
It’s like Zip and I were separated at birth!

giphy.gif
so many reply possibilities - so little time....

Max

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Safe travels the rest of the way to FL!
Thanks! We made is to the state line. You never know, someday we may get the coveted "True Value" card! o_O
Following along! Moving is exciting! My husband was in the Air Force for 23 years and retired now, so I really do miss moving around.
Looking forward to moving back to Orlando. Not looking forward to the packing!
I'm in! Plus I'm nosy so go ahead and post about your house hunting adventures, 😁 I always enjoy the extra bits in trip reports.
Will do, My Brother has done a lot of the pre scouting for us.
Ditto
It’s like Zip and I were separated at birth!
See above👆👆😀
I'm in! Florida resident here and I can't wait to see what happens!
Not promising insanity, but I have no doubt it will be there.
Following along, hope you have a great time!
Thank you!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
JAN 6th Day -1 (yes that is a minus)

We got on the road and I was Happy to see an old friend that we haven't seen in the past few years.

QT.jpg

Quick Trip is pretty much non existent in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois on the route we have taken back and forth in the last few years. We have relatives in Oklahoma and they are virtually everywhere and we got spoiled. Going through Tulsa on I40 there is literally one at every exit. We had to stop for old times sake (and a bathroom break).

But then we saw this!
BuceeSign.jpg

We had to Stop!!!

Buc-ee's is the end all of convenience store gas stations! I know people from the East coast are going to argue for WA WA but does WA WA have 270 gas pumps? Spotlessly clean restrooms with over 100 stalls?

BuceeMerch2.jpg

Buc-ee Beaver shirts and pajamas?

BuceeMerch.jpg

Buc-ee Beaver glassware

BuceeCrackers.jpg

Buc-ee Beaver Crackers

BuceeSoda.jpg

Buc-ee Beaver soda (in 10 flavors)

BuceeChips.jpg

Buc-ee Beaver chips

Ok you get the idea. For those of you that don't know, Buc-ee's is a Texas based chain of gigantic gas station stores. If you haven't been there it is hard to explain. Think if Walmart and Cracker Barrel had a child that was a gas station:jawdrop::jawdrop:.
They have everything from BBQ sandwiches, to venison jerky, to homemade fudge and everything in between. It is all made in house. Plus a ton of Cracker Barrel store type merchandise with 100s of Buc-ee Beaver branded things mixed in. It is the perfect place to pick up a bucket of bacon lard or an aqua blue rhinestone studded cow skull. You can even bring home a stuffed Buc-ee in many sizes.

BuceeTruck.jpg

Isn't he cute? The big one is only $300.

Ok I am definitely a Buc-ee lover but I am also covering in this post for the lack of anything we accomplished today.
My wife has hurt her hip and can only ride in a car for a maximum of 4 hours a day. We are moving at a very relaxed pace. This is going to be the slowest lead in to a trip report you have seen in a while. We are staying just North of the state line.

Coming up tomorrow: Will we actually enter Florida after 2 days?????

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

We got on the road and I was Happy to see an old friend that we haven't seen in the past few years.

View attachment 522541

Quick Trip is pretty much non existent in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois on the route we have taken back and forth in the last few years. We have relatives in Oklahoma and they are virtually everywhere and we got spoiled. Going through Tulsa on I40 there is literally one at every exit. We had to stop for old times sake (and a bathroom break).

But then we saw this!
View attachment 522542

We had to Stop!!!

Buc-ee's is the end all of convenience store gas stations! I know people from the East coast are going to argue for WA WA but does WA WA have 270 gas pumps? Spotlessly clean restrooms with over 100 stalls?

View attachment 522545

View attachment 522544

Buc-ee Beaver glassware

View attachment 522546

Buc-ee Beaver Crackers

View attachment 522547

View attachment 522550

Buc-ee Beaver chips

Ok you get the idea. For those of you that don't know, Buc-ee's is a Texas based chain of gigantic gas station stores. If you haven't been there it is hard to explain. Think if Walmart and Cracker Barrel had a child that was a gas station:jawdrop::jawdrop:.
They have everything from BBQ sandwiches, to venison jerky, to homemade fudge and everything in between. It is all made in house. Plus a ton of Cracker Barrel store type merchandise with 100s of Buc-ee Beaver branded things mixed in. It is the perfect place to pick up a bucket of bacon lard or an aqua blue rhinestone studded cow skull. You can even bring home a stuffed Buc-ee in many sizes.

View attachment 522548

Ok I am definitely a Buc-ee lover but I am also covering in this post for the lack of anything we accomplished today.
My wife has hurt her hip and can only ride in a car for a maximum of 4 hours a day. We are moving at a very relaxed pace. This is going to be the slowest lead in to a trip report you have seen in a while. We are staying just North of the state line.

:hilarious:

Nothing else needs to be said.

donaldtoo

View attachment 522541

But then we saw this!
View attachment 522542

We had to Stop!!!

View attachment 522545

View attachment 522544

Buc-ee Beaver glassware

View attachment 522546

Buc-ee Beaver Crackers

View attachment 522547

View attachment 522550

Buc-ee Beaver chips

View attachment 522548

Too funny on the Buc-ee's...!!!!!!! :hilarious:
Being from Austin, Texas, and having traveled many times to San Antonio and Houston in recent years, I'm VERY familiar with the AWESOMENESS that is Buc-ee's...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Even to the point that the architectural firm I work for is designing a ranch for the president/CEO of the company, Arch "Beaver" Aplin...!!!!! :happy:
Just crazy amazing, and yes, they win award after award in the industry for the cleanest restrooms...!!! :)
Also, I own a pair of swim trunks just like this dude is wearing...!!!!! 🤣

1610045520129.png

Hope your DW's hip gets better soon, and that y'all have an AWESOME trip...!!!!! :)

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
Too funny on the Buc-ee's...!!!!!!! :hilarious:
Being from Austin, Texas, and having traveled many times to San Antonio and Houston in recent years, I'm VERY familiar with the AWESOMENESS that is Buc-ee's...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Even to the point that the architectural firm I work for is designing a ranch for the president/CEO of the company, Arch "Beaver" Aplin...!!!!! :happy:
Just crazy amazing, and yes, they win award after award in the industry for the cleanest restrooms...!!! :)
Also, I own a pair of swim trunks just like this dude is wearing...!!!!! 🤣

View attachment 522652

Hope your DW's hip gets better soon, and that y'all have an AWESOME trip...!!!!! :)

That is so cool that your firm is building for the head Beaver! I only own a couple of Buc-ee T shirts but I would definitely wear that swim suit!!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
JAN 7th Day 0

Ok first off we made it across the FL line and actually got checked into our timeshare. We are staying on West 192 and WOW! o_O o_O has it changed! We haven't been down here in a long time and this area has really grown! It appears the tourist area on 192 east of Disney is now West of Disney.

Secondly I know I will get some push back on day 0, but that is what it is in my mind. Some people say you are on vacation the day you leave your house. Looking at you @DisneyGigi . But to me fighting traffic or losing your mind in a security line and wondering what plane your luggage is on is not relaxing therefore not vacation. Those are countdown days hence the minus. Most of us can agree on that. But day 0? That is the arrival day. Still traveling and I unloaded a ton of luggage today. Tomorrow is the first day of vacation in my mind, hence day 1.

Any thoughts? What day does vacation really start?

Coming up: Day 1 at Disney Springs

DisneyGigi

JAN 7th Day 0

Ok first off we made it across the FL line and actually got checked into our timeshare. We are staying on West 192 and WOW! o_O o_O has it changed! We haven't been down here in a long time and this area has really grown! It appears the tourist area on 192 east of Disney is now West of Disney.

Secondly I know I will get some push back on day 0, but that is what it is in my mind. Some people say you are on vacation the day you leave your house. Looking at you @DisneyGigi . But to me fighting traffic or losing your mind in a security line and wondering what plane your luggage is on is not relaxing therefore not vacation. Those are countdown days hence the minus. Most of us can agree on that. But day 0? That is the arrival day. Still traveling and I unloaded a ton of luggage today. Tomorrow is the first day of vacation in my mind, hence day 1.

I am going to be honest... the inner impatient 4 year old in me just likes to take days off the countdown!

Zipadeelady

For me vacation starts the moment I back out of the driveway. The traveling to get where I'm going is as much fun for me. Either flying or the rush of traffic and driving through places like Atlanta gets me pumped, that is unless were at a dead stop, then I'm not such a happy driver.

Happy Day 1 starts tomorrow!

donaldtoo

That is so cool that your firm is building for the head Beaver! I only own a couple of Buc-ee T shirts but I would definitely wear that swim suit!!

Thanks, it is pretty cool, and it’ll be a multi-phase project.
We made a surprise distancing visit to Spring, Texas for my MIL’s 85th birthday in early November, and it was disappointing not to make our usual stop (our decision due to Covid) at the Waller, Texas Buc-ee’s location, on the way back to Austin.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but, Buc-ee’s is a hoot...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Anyhoo, if Walt Disney ever ventured into the convenience store business, this is what he would have done...!!! ;):)

donaldtoo

JAN 7th Day 0

A Disney vacation always begins for me when the planes main gear leaves the ground, and I’m in my own heaven, as l LOVE flying...!!!!! :happy:
We have a November 2021 trip planned with our granddaughter, and our soon-to-be granddaughter, and can’t wait for that...!!!!! :inlove::happy:

Lookin’ forward to more of your report...!!! :)

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
JAN 8th Day 1

We did nothing but unpack and relax in the morning. The is timeshare is decent as far as condos go but the setting is really nice!

Condo.jpg

Our private patio looks right out on the lake with big live oaks and tons of Spanish moss hanging down. We couldn't be happier with the view!
Water birds entertain us as we drink or morning coffee and gators croaking echo across lake at night. There are actually canoes, paddle boats and a row boat that are free to use on the lake. And the best thing is that it is empty. It is so peaceful, like we are the only ones here. The ECV was delivered and we we on our way to Disney Springs.

On a side note we actually purchased a used scooter from one of the rental companies. It only came out to a couple dollars more than renting one for 3 weeks. We will need it besides the parks until she has her hip surgery. If you are driving down and in need of one, it is worth looking into. Every company out there has tons for sale.

WDWWelcome.jpg

DSpring1.jpg

We parked in the Orange garage which was empty. It turns out the crowd level was pretty low when we got there in the afternoon. It filled up a little more after 6 but I would still call it low.

DSpring2.jpg
DSpring3.jpg

We were happy to see some of the Christmas decorations were still up.

SpringsBottle.jpg

We went to Guest Services to prove we are Florida residents. That was an hour wait. Naturally we went on the first day of their new ticketing system. The Cast Members did a great job. The poor girl probably apologized 10 times because it was taking so long. When it appeared we were almost finished I mobile ordered food for us from D-Luxe Burger that was right next door. It was very good. We sat outside facing the Springs Bottling Company sign and missed the Pleasure Island sign that used to sit in its place. :cry:

The wind was blowing hard and the temp felt like it had dropped 20 degrees from when we arrived, so we made our way out.

JAN 9th Day 2

We had a lazy doing a whole lot of nothing. Hit up some junk shops, went grocery shopping, found a small purse for my DW that will fit in the scooter basket. Don't worry the parks are coming up but first we have to see my brother and his family. Still loving the condo but it just lost a few points in my wife's opinion. Literally as I am writing this post, she was sitting on the patio smoking and the sprinklers came on :eek: and soaked her before she could react and move. Note to self: Do not sit on patio at 1:30AM!

Coming up tomorrow: Family time and Outlet malls.

Attachments

• DSpring4.jpg
    DSpring4.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 67

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
JAN 10th Day 3

So we made one of the biggest rookie mistakes you can make! We went to the outlet malls on a weekend day. I honestly know better but the crowd levels seem so low I wasn't really worried about it. We drove up I drive to get up there and the sidewalks were empty. No tourists were to be found. It took us an hour to find a parking spot. There were swarms of people. Apparently everyone is at the outlet malls. You would think it was Christmas time. We wondered around and did some shopping, and decided to hit up the Disney character warehouse. It was one in the afternoon and we were informed the virtual wait list had been cut off already because they had more people on it than they could get through the store before they closed at 6. :cry: :cry: We will stop back by on a weekday. We shopped some more and I sat and did a little people watching while DW shopped. When it was time to leave it took us 20 minutes to pull out of our parking space and another 30 to get out of the parking lot because of the gridlock.

I was feeling like steak and we thought we would go to Johnnies Hideaway at the Crossroads just outside of Disney Springs. It was closed!!!:eek:
Not only was it closed but many of the restaurants there were shutdown and the grocery store that had been there many years was out of business. The Crossroads itself was a ghost town. I have never seen it so empty. We ended up trying a local chain called Black Angus. The food was surprisingly good, but the service was probably the worst we have every had. Mind you there were 6 servers and maybe 4 tables occupied. I am a big tipper during COVID. I know hospitality workers are having a hard time getting by but the service we received was just crazy. It was almost like a skit from a television show. I know everyone has a bad day no and then but this was not the case. She just didn't care and we were an inconvenience to her. In the end she had added someone else's drinks to our bill and when my wife mentioned this she snatched the check out of her hand and stormed away. Not a word was said. No opps I made a mistake, or sorry about that. Nothing. I did still tip 15% We would probably go back but hope for another server.

Coming up tomorrow: Resort day.

Lady1967

Hi Everyone...I am Sabrina, the DW...We are SO excited to be back home in Central Fla. I LOVE Disney so much and am looking forward to seeing all of the things that have opened in the past 2 years! I know that in the days of COVID, it will all be different...but looking so forward to the Magic...

Today, was all about relaxing at our resort, sitting on the screened lanai and watching people fish off of the pier, as water birds land in the lake...nothing really exciting to report...just relaxing, as we wait for some of our friends to be on the entertainment schedule at Disney Springs Tomorrow...

We Love You my dearest friend Nick, and we will see you tomorrow at the Water-Front Stage! We will also be visiting one of our favs with a reservation at the land of Irish LOVE...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom