Purists vs. Innovators "Virtually Magic Kingdoms" Open Brainstorming (Team Innovators)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
This will be the thread in which the Innovators will craft the third project of So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16. For the Innovators prompt, players as Imagineers have been called in to Nintendo headquarters to help design an open world Switch game based around the concept of a Magic Kingdom. Instead of being a simulation ala Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, think of this as an Epic Mickey style reimagining of the concept of a "Magic Kingdom" in an open world, Breath of the Wild type setting. Leaderboard points will be rewarded to everyone who contributes content to the final product. Good luck team, this project is due Sunday, January 21st at 11:59PM Eastern.
mickeyjunk.jpg

D Hulk

I'm here too! A sa proud Switch owner I hope we can make something great!
green-jpg.256211
Oh goodie, you know from games! I’m usually a couple generations behind.

Anyway, my main idea: Open world inspired by S.E.A. That covers all or most Disney parks (not merely a Castle Park), with a built-in mythology, mystery and adventure narrative.

Settings from SEA can include: Big Thunder (maybe Paris’s with the Phantom Manor), Mystic Manor, Tokyo’s Tower of Terror, Mt. Prometheus, Explorer’s Landing, Shanghai’s Adventure Isle, Miss Adventure Falls, Discoveryland, Temple of the Forbidden Eye, etc.

What are your early thoughts?

Suchomimus

Anyway, my main idea: Open world inspired by S.E.A. That covers all or most Disney parks (not merely a Castle Park), with a built-in mythology, mystery and adventure narrative.

Settings from SEA can include: Big Thunder (maybe Paris’s with the Phantom Manor), Mystic Manor, Tokyo’s Tower of Terror, Mt. Prometheus, Explorer’s Landing, Shanghai’s Adventure Isle, Miss Adventure Falls, Discoveryland, Temple of the Forbidden Eye, etc.

I’m not part of a team but can I pitch in?

tcool123

Well here's my little spitball: Kingdom Keepers, a successful series of books with over 11 entries. Rather than be a remake of the book it'll be inspired by the concept of the book.

A little plot: You have been selected by Disney to become a part of the Kingdom keeper Interactive program in which Disney will insert a hologram of you which will show people around the parks, and answer their questions. However at night you become the hologram, and find out that the Overtakers, Disney's meanest villains out there, have taken over the Magic Kingdom. It is up to you to defeat the Overtakers, and save the kingdom from eternal darkness.

The setting would be the Magic Kingdom, and just as the characters have come to alive the lands will too. For example to get to Fantasyland to Tomorrowland one would typically just waltz right past the teacups, and bam they're in the future. Well now instead of something so simple extend the walk by throwing a Tulgey Wood in which players could freely explore battling off card soldiers, the unique birds, and other creatures from films that could fit in the Fantasyland setting.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I think S.E.A. might work better as a side plot or ongoing story element rather than the total focus.

tcool123

Yup the last open world I played was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

A truly breathtaking game, and something I feel we should aim for.

It's a good concept, but it's not realistic. I can't see there being a demand from the masses for a game based on SEA from Disney, and as such I'm not sure if Disney would pursue such a thing. However similar to what @Pionmycake said a side story/series of side quests could be a fun tie in for those characters.

D Hulk

Kingdom Keepers sounds promising. Wasn't that the series where the Everest yeti was really an imprisoned Chernabog?

Does this series allow for radical reimaginings of Magic Kingdom settings, like Epic Mickey did with settings like Matterhorn? (As seen in Tiki's header image.)

And if we're limiting ourselves to a compact setting like MK, how do we recreate that crucial expansive feel of something like Breathe of the Wild?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
What if our character is someone who falls asleep in the parks but has the power of his dream stolen by *insert main villain, Maleficent?*. So, he embarks on a quest to reclaim the dream power through a dream version of the four Disney world parks. *Main villain* gives dream power to different Disney/DisneyParks villains added powers.

Four different open world levels giving it a blend of Mario Odyssey and breath of the wild

Side characters ranging from Ariel to Jack Sparrow, to S.E.A. to Haunted Mansion ghosts, to Simba.

Simple, yet effective plot about the power of dreams.

Last level is twisted Magic Kingdom tainted by *main villain* with dream power making it dark and twisted.

tcool123

Kingdom Keepers sounds promising. Wasn't that the series where the Everest yeti was really an imprisoned Chernabog?
That's the one, and why the Yeti is "Broken", Chernabog already escaped! :eek:

Does this series allow for radical reimaginings of Magic Kingdom settings, like Epic Mickey did with settings like Matterhorn? (As seen in Tiki's header image.)
No, but they never had to venture into there. That's why I suggested inspired by the concept. If the characters come alive then certainly the places to. So I don't see why we can't s]change things up.

And if we're limiting ourselves to a compact setting like MK, how do we recreate that crucial expansive feel of something like Breathe of the Wild?
By expanding the Magic Kingdom, and making the central areas cities/towns.

We could combine Splash and Thunder Mountain to make a ginormous mountain range with a vast desert, and allowing players to explore the mountain. Just the first idea, but if we did that for multiple areas, expanding them to explorable locations then I think we may be onto something.

tcool123

What if our character is someone who falls asleep in the parks but has the power of his dream stolen by *insert main villain, Maleficent?*. So, he embarks on a quest to reclaim the dream power through a dream version of the four Disney world parks. *Main villain* gives dream power to different Disney/DisneyParks villains added powers.

Four different open world levels giving it a blend of Mario Odyssey and breath of the wild

Side characters ranging from Ariel to Jack Sparrow, to S.E.A. to Haunted Mansion ghosts, to Simba.

Simple, yet effective plot about the power of dreams.

Last level is twisted Magic Kingdom tainted by *main villain* with dream power making it dark and twisted.
I like this idea alot, but my main concern for all four parks is that they'll be four large open world environments in one game. However I do like the concept, and it is worth considering. Love the story at the beginning.

D Hulk

We could combine Splash and Thunder Mountain to make a ginormous mountain range with a vast desert, and allowing players to explore the mountain. Just the first idea, but if we did that for multiple areas, expanding them to explorable locations then I think we may be onto something.
That's an elegant solution, and I can already picture cresting over a mighty mountain range to see Splash Mountain in the distance with a sun flare effect right behind Chickapin Hill. And the epic music begins! :joyfull:

Using MK as the main layout and inspiration, could we even add in other features from other parks...like a video game version of @MANEATINGWREATH's Dream Resort? So for instance a larger Adventureland setting could include sights familiar from Animal Kingdom as well, and other Disney jungle areas.

That could tie it in with @Pionmycake's dream concept - a great idea! This setting is like the collective unconsciousness which inspires the Disney parks. So this Splash Mountain, for instance, is the real Splash Mountain, and whatever happens to it affects the various Splash rides throughout the world.

Figment and DreamFinder can easily apply with this concept. Airship travel as the game opens up.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

No, but they never had to venture into there. That's why I suggested inspired by the concept. If the characters come alive then certainly the places to. So I don't see why we can't s]change things up.

I like your ideas, but

I think that this is far enough outside the books, that it might be best not to tie in. I love the ideas though! And as an old Kingdom Keepers fan, I definitely think we can take some inspiration. Though I think story and all should try to go our own way

tcool123

That's an elegant solution, and I can already picture cresting over a mighty mountain range to see Splash Mountain in the distance with a sun flare effect right behind Chickapin Hill. And the epic music begins! :joyfull:

Using MK as the main layout and inspiration, could we even add in other features from other parks...like a video game version of @MANEATINGWREATH's Dream Resort? So for instance a larger Adventureland setting could include sights familiar from Animal Kingdom as well, and other Disney jungle areas.

That could tie it in with @Pionmycake's dream concept - a great idea! This setting is like the collective unconsciousness which inspires the Disney parks. So this Splash Mountain, for instance, is the real Splash Mountain, and whatever happens to it affects the various Splash rides throughout the world.

Figment and DreamFinder can easily apply with this concept. Airship travel as the game opens up.
I.LOVE.THIS.IDEA.

tcool123

I think that this is far enough outside the books, that it might be best not to tie in. I love the ideas though! And as an old Kingdom Keepers fan, I definitely think we can take some inspiration. Though I think story and all should try to go our own way
I mean I did say an inspiration of the book, and not a retelling of the story.
Rather than be a remake of the book it'll be inspired by the concept of the book.
We would keep the idea that the parks are alive with living breathing characters.

Exactly like what @D Hindley suggested is our best starting point. It's a combo of everything we have suggested so far.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I like this! Maybe not taking actual areas/rides from other parks, but have some expanded jungle type areas in Adventureland that tie into Animal Kingdom Stuff like Lion King.

And Figment/dream finder could even make great mentor/guide characters. Figment would be great as our Navi type sidekick. Maybe Dream finder's disappearance could be a main plot point! The villains kidnapped him and his blimp thing to steal the dream power. So, Figment finds a "dreamer" to save the day!

I still personally would vote four separate levels connected by a monorail or something like that. But one massive Magic Kingdom could be very cool as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom