Pulp Fiction in the GMR?

NedLand

Pulp Fiction is a great film but i would def not call it a classic film, its came out in 94'.

Take a good look at the list of films in the finale of the ride. Forest Gump came out the same year as Pulp Fiction. Armageddon came out in ’98. The first Pirates of the Caribbean and even the first Narnia are in there.

Phonedave

And saying that a movie is like Pulp Fiction without the rape, and therefore Pulp Fiction is no more disturbing than that movie...maybe you should be a little more sensitive to the 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men who have actually been through the terrible experience of sexual assault. I was literally ill during that scene in the movie.

I did not say the Pulp Fiction is no more disturbing than The Godfather.

What I said was the Godfather contains just about all the so called disturbing aspects of Pulp Fiction aside from the rape scene.

Why is it OK to show a clip from a movie such as the Godfather, and not a clip from a movie like Pulp Fiction? Is it because Pulp Fiction has a rape scene in it?

Lets not be asinie here, nobody is advocating putting the rape scene in the ending montage. Nobody is proposing building a set containing ball gags and leather bondage gear. What people are suggesting is a short tame clip from the movie (such as the Winston Wolf clip I suggested, or the Jackrabbit Slim's scene, or even the scene in the diner when they are talking) or a scene based on a tame section - such as Jackrabbit Slim's.

Have you watched Apacolypse Now? Does the scene where he drops the severed head of the guys friend into his lap disturb you? It disturbed me. But THAT is not the clip that is in the ride. Yes, I would think it a bit out of line to show that scene during the montage, but that is NOT what they show. Same applies to Pulp Fiction. Show some other part of the movie.

And nobody is trying to trivialize sexual assualt or to somhow imply that it's OK. To even try to bring this discussion down that path is just wrong.

-dave

NedLand

What I said was the Godfather contains just about all the so called disturbing aspects of Pulp Fiction aside from the rape scene.

Why is it OK to show a clip from a movie such as the Godfather, and not a clip from a movie like Pulp Fiction? Is it because Pulp Fiction has a rape scene in it?

Lets not be asinie here, nobody is advocating putting the rape scene in the ending montage. Nobody is proposing building a set containing ball gags and leather bondage gear. What people are suggesting is a short tame clip from the movie (such as the Winston Wolf clip I suggested, or the Jackrabbit Slim's scene, or even the scene in the diner when they are talking) or a scene based on a tame section - such as Jackrabbit Slim's.

Have you watched Apacolypse Now? Does the scene where he drops the severed head of the guys friend into his lap disturb you? It disturbed me. But THAT is not the clip that is in the ride. Yes, I would think it a bit out of line to show that scene during the montage, but that is NOT what they show. Same applies to Pulp Fiction. Show some other part of the movie.

And nobody is trying to trivialize sexual assualt or to somhow imply that it's OK. To even try to bring this discussion down that path is just wrong.

-dave

This.

Saturday Night Fever has a rape scene, should they take that out of the montage? Lawrence of Arabia implies rape, does that go as well?

imagineer boy

-dave

Well said!

Its not like the rape scene takes up the entire movie. :lol:

Saying that Pulp Fiction doesn't belong in the GMR is one thing ( Even though their is no reason for it not to be in the ending montage).

To say it's not a classic though...means you just don't know movies.:wave:

Spike-in-Berlin

Since The Walt Disney Company helped finance Pulp Fiction through Miramax and since it made $213 million worldwide he would have thought of it as a wise investment.

Profit wasn't everything to Walt, that's the difference to the management of today. They only expand the parks if it increases the ROI. He increased the parks because he wanted his own creation to grow. If he wouldn't have died so early I am quite sure WDW would have become a better park than it is today, with the MK actually being only second after DL concerning the number and quality of attractions. He had ideals, he had beliefs and he wouldn't sell them for profit. What you are talking about is the Disney Company, that's something completely different. I am quite sure that there are a lot of things in the present company and management decisions that HE wouldn't appreciate at all.

NedLand

I am quite sure that there are a lot of things in the present company and management decisions that HE wouldn't appreciate at all.

It is rather silly to claim that one knows what Walt would think of anything going on in the company today. By your logic, one could claim that smoking should be allowed anywhere on the property, since Walt sure liked his cigarettes.

No there are other scenes, e.g. a scene where they pick up fragments of skull and brain in the back of a car.

Take a good look at the list of films in the final montage. The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, even Airplane!, all have scenes that could be equally, or even more objectionable than the accidental shooting of Marvin’s face.

muse1983

Chances are we won't see ANY kind of work done to The GMR within the next 10 years. I have been verbally attacked (seriously lol) by merely mentioning how droll the GMR has become and is slightly embarassing to HS due to its dated AA's and untouched scenes so its kind of a losing argument haha

lebeau

They could just have the scene where Travolta and the girl are dancing, that would be a more family-friendly scene, and how is Alien family friendly and Pulp Fiction not? :p

When they say GMR, they mean classics, so I really don't see why this doesn't deserve a place despite the content.

This is precisely what I was thinking.

Plus, Disney owns the film! Put in the dance scene already!

Grizzly Hall 71

The good ol' Pulp Fiction. I remember the very first time I watches this film, I HATED it with passion. It didn't make any sense to. It was just plain dumb. I then watched Reservoir Dogs and loved it. I gave Pulp another chance and I throughly enjoyed it. The dialogue is just so, "cool." And that's what the 90's was about, being cool.

However it was not the best film of 1994. That belongs to Forrest Gump, then The Lion King, then The Shawshank Redemption, and then Pulp Fiction.

Yes I think it deserves a place in GMR, but not the violent scenes. Maybe we pass Jules and Vincent in a car while they're talking about Amsterdam.

The film is a classic and desevers to be there since the teens from the 90's are now adults and are getting ready to start families. So they can show their kids what movies they use to watch. But if Pulp Fiction gets on, then Do The Right Thing should go to :). Both are classics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom