Pros and Cons of NOT using DME?

3dfan

It's very much an individual preference...

I don't get groceries [I figure I am on vacation, somebody else can feed me].

The big pros for me are simplicity and speed. No waiting at the carousel for luggage and quick trip to the resort. I don't need anything from my checked luggage until I'm back from the parks later.

The only con for me is they treat flights to Canada the same as overseas flights and book the return bus an extra hour early, rather than like a US domestic flight which it is more realistically like.

Completely agree with your point of view! especially for the con!:sohappy:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
No con that I can think of :shrug:

How about extra time to get to resort, lack of access to luggage for even longer? Then for some there is restricted travel (as compared to having a rental car) where you are assured of staying on property (I know it's not an issue for many...but a con for some none the less).

elizs77

We've used DME twice before while staying at the Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian, and we're using it again this time for the Contemporary.

While it's nice and already paid for, it's not perfect. It's not a must for us, but we will use it as long as we're flying in to MCO. We almost flew in to Sanford this time and were going to rent a car, so DME isn't something that we just have to experience each time.

Our pros: 1) we've already paid for it - I know it's 'free,' but we all really know it's in with the room; 2) I don't have to deal with baggage pick up; 3) it starts the Disney experience at the airport; 4) if you have multiple stops, you get to see a different side of other resorts.

Our cons: 1) it is a hike from the plane to the DME area; 2) We were the first ones on the bus last time and had to wait at least 30 minutes on the bus with a 5 yr old and 10 mo old (this is our biggest negative); 3) mutliple stops = longer time to my resort (Poly and Contemp share a bus, Poly is first); 4) wondering if our luggage really made it to our destination.

CleveRocks

How about extra time to get to resort.
I very strongly disagree with the statement that using DME will result in taking longer to get to your resort. On what basis do you make that statement?

Skipping the wait at baggage claim pretty much cancels out the other waits associated with using DME.

My 3 times using DME, my times from airplane exit to resort drop-off were (in minutes) 63, 56 and 57. I defy anyone to say that they can wait at baggage claim and then use a car service and get to the resort substantially faster than those times. Remember, those times included walking from the plane through the airport, riding the MCO monorail, and so on ... things that one must do no matter what ground transportation option they choose.

I always advise people to choose their ground transportation on the level of service they want and how much they are willing to spend for it, since time from airplane exit to resort will be roughly the same no matter what.

justdru

Do you HAVE to book your flight through Disney to take advantage of DME?

Our local airport has a carrier who offers a round-trip flight to Disney from Tennessee for $59 each way. With taxes and fees it's about $89.00 each way. That's a lot cheaper than the Disney options but we're concerned with transportation to and from the airport.

Rob562

Do you HAVE to book your flight through Disney to take advantage of DME?

Our local airport has a carrier who offers a round-trip flight to Disney from Tennessee for $59 each way. With taxes and fees it's about $89.00 each way. That's a lot cheaper than the Disney options but we're concerned with transportation to and from the airport.

You do not have to book your flights through Disney. You can book your own flights and then just give Disney your flight numbers. As long as you're flying into Orlando International Airport (MCO) and not Orlando-Sanford Airport (which some smaller "scheduled charter" airlines use), you can use DME. We have Direct Air flying non-stop out of a regional airport about 5 miles from my house, and it would be very convenient to use because of that, but they fly into Orlando-Sanford.

If you don't have your flights booked when your make your hotel reservation, they can indicate on your reservation that you'll use DME. Then when you've finalized your flights, just call back and give them the info.

-Rob

elizs77

My 3 times using DME, my times from airplane exit to resort drop-off were (in minutes) 63, 56 and 57. I defy anyone to say that they can wait at baggage claim and then use a car service and get to the resort substantially faster than those times. Remember, those times included walking from the plane through the airport, riding the MCO monorail, and so on ... things that one must do no matter what ground transportation option they choose.

I'm not arguing with you on which is longer, but WOW, you must have really gotten luck at the DME to get there that fast! :) Like I mentioned prior, we were the first on the bus on our last trip, and we sat on that bus for 30 minutes before heading to the Poly. That was on top of the walking time (with two little ones) and drive time.

justdru

After weighing the options we're going to be taking advantage of Quicksilver instead.

Our regional airport offers a round-trip flight, direct, to MCO Orlando for $118.00. Compare that to the costs of a flight booked through Disney via US Airways or the others.

Even after we book a town car through Quicksilver to take us from and to the airport we will still have saved money.

I've never used DME... but there's something refreshing about flying into MCO and being greeted by a driver who will help you with your bags and take you straight to the resort... no questions asked. I like the peace of mind of knowing that my bags are in my hands instead of wondering for 5-6 hours if they've been lost or not.

To each their own! :sohappy:

promod1955

I usualy rent a car, but to save a buck we tried DME in Feb. I was surprised as it was a very trouble free experience. Maybe I got very lucky, but from the time we walked off the plane to checking in at the pop, it was 50minutes. Just be sure to have what you need in the park with you as a carry on since you wont have access to your luggage until later. I would do DME again for sure if I wasnt renting a car for our trip next week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom