Project Thermal Springs = Adventureland Crowding Improvements

mickEblu

I think since Bengal BBQ (kind of) has the BBQ covered, how about some Pan Asian/ South East Asian cuisine... Thai, Indian etc.

Like this place I went to last night

http://www.rocksugarkitchen.com/

With that said, some Hawaiian BBQ would be great and would probably make a lot more sense at the Tahitian terrace next to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

D

Deleted member 107043

How about playing up the Aladdin design and doing something Arabic, similar to Restaurant Marrakesh at Epcot with belly dancers? BBQ could still be part of the menu.

Old Mouseketeer

Too bad they installed a giant tree right in the middle of a choke point twenty years ago. They need to get rid of that Tarzan bridge and let us enter the tree house like we used to.

You're right, but it's more complicated than that. You have to go back to 1967 when they built NOS and Pirates without enough extended queue for Pirates. Originally, it occupied the side of the building where the Indy queue is now down to the bottom where the Indy's entry queue now jogs to the left to enter the cave section. Even with all this space, it still had to be extended in front of NOS on peak days which choked off all traffic to NOS (pre-bridge). The shops and restaurants saw their sales plummet whenever this happened, hence the construction of the Pirate Bridge. Building the terraces for Fantasmic! didn't help. Add to this the addition of Country Bears and Splash, and the traffic only increased.

Old Mouseketeer

All the same, I think you deserve to have a custom "Adventureland Treetop Tapas n' Tipples" shirt. Think of all the know-it-all APs* you'll confound. They'll think it's real, like some obscure piece of Disneyland history they aren't cool enough to know about. ;)

*No offense to APs. I am one myself.

Can we get the guy who creates the John Lasseter Hawai'in Shirts to design it? (But could it be less expensive than $110?)

D

Deleted member 107043

Well, I was thinking of the 25% of them that are actually wearable. I think 50-75% of them are clever and 10-25% of them are a blight on the reputation of Hawai'in Shirts (however low that may be). YMMV.

Maybe you're right, but when someone says "John Lasseter shirt" this is what comes to my mind.

johnlasseter-flasher-a-580x869.jpg

Old Mouseketeer

How about playing up the Aladdin design and doing something Arabic, similar to Restaurant Marrakesh at Epcot with belly dancers? BBQ could still be part of the menu.

The Tahitian Terrace footprint isn't big enough to be sustainable. Look at the long arc over 60 years of how all venues have grown. Attractions, Stores, Foods, and even Restrooms have all grown larger to serve the larger crowds. In 1955 the Plaza Pavilion and the Adventureland restaurant (I forget the original name) were served by one kitchen and were basically two dining areas for the same restaurant. Today, Jolly Holiday uses all the kitchen space for both. Not only is Aladdin's too small in seating and amenities, but there is virtually no kitchen.

George Lucas on a Bench

You're right, but it's more complicated than that. You have to go back to 1967 when they built NOS and Pirates without enough extended queue for Pirates. Originally, it occupied the side of the building where the Indy queue is now down to the bottom where the Indy's entry queue now jogs to the left to enter the cave section. Even with all this space, it still had to be extended in front of NOS on peak days which choked off all traffic to NOS (pre-bridge). The shops and restaurants saw their sales plummet whenever this happened, hence the construction of the Pirate Bridge. Building the terraces for Fantasmic! didn't help. Add to this the addition of Country Bears and Splash, and the traffic only increased.

My theory is that WED expected Pirates to adequately process incoming guests. It doesn't seem like there was an extended queue originally designed for it. More like, the line ended up sticking out the door and they had to do it. None of the other attractions in that era were designed without enough capacity for the line.

Old Mouseketeer

Maybe you're right, but when someone says "John Lasseter shirt" this is what comes to my mind.

johnlasseter-flasher-a-580x869.jpg

Sadly, this is one of the third quartile. The Good Dinosaur is probably at the bottom. Several others are pretty bad, as well.

Oddly enough, critiquing the Lasseter shirts could be its own thread. My best friend and I each own one (Zootopia and Brave) that we like very much. There are several that we like better, but these were the best we could acquire at a reasonable price.

Old Mouseketeer

My theory is that WED expected Pirates to adequately process incoming guests. It doesn't seem like there was an extended queue originally designed for it. More like, the line ended up sticking out the door and they had to do it. None of the other attractions in that era were designed without enough capacity for the line.

I think they assumed that the massive extended queue down the side of the building would be sufficient. For that time, it was massive. But the popularity and repeat ridership of Pirates was a jolt.

Old Mouseketeer

I think since Bengal BBQ (kind of) has the BBQ covered, how about some Pan Asian/ South East Asian cuisine... Thai, Indian etc.

With that said, some Hawaiian BBQ would be great and would probably make a lot more sense at the Tahitian terrace next to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Honestly I think they should reverse the flow of Tiki Room and make Oasis the pre-show area, make the entire attraction accessible,and move the Dole Whip bar into a larger location where the entrance and fountain of Oasis is next to the Jungle exit (but more recessed). This would allow them to widen the access from the Hub to Adventureland and do away with the queue for Dole Whip.

dweezil78

Love that place! It's like an Epcot restaurant in a mall. The food is actually pretty solid too. It's the Asian Cheescake Factory (owned by the same company!)

jmuboy

Honestly I think they should reverse the flow of Tiki Room and make Oasis the pre-show area, make the entire attraction accessible,and move the Dole Whip bar into a larger location where the entrance and fountain of Oasis is next to the Jungle exit (but more recessed). This would allow them to widen the access from the Hub to Adventureland and do away with the queue for Dole Whip.

Wow. Had not thought of this. Another awesome idea that uses your suggestion but slightly different. I would say you keep Tiki entrance where it is. Keep Tiki Juice Bar for queue / patio sales at Tiki Room only. Wall off the Adventureland side.

Turn the Oasis into Aloha Isle .... same name as WDW .... but sells Dole Whip. It uses the old seating area as queue space ( and some seating could remain. Takes another choke point out - and queue - out of the Adventurelsnd streets.

BubbaQuest

Lol. That's exactly what I was hoping when I heard they were closing a shop and expanding a restaurant. Was surprised to find out they were only addressing the traffic flow issue at the other end of Adventureland. Not sure what's going to happen when the end of the Dole Whip line and the new stroller parking crowd start bumping into each other.

mickEblu

Love that place! It's like an Epcot restaurant in a mall. The food is actually pretty solid too. It's the Asian Cheescake Factory (owned by the same company!)

That's a great way to describe it. I've always said it was like a Vegas restaurant meets Disneyland. It does feel like an Asian Cheesecake Factory! The food is pretty solid. The lacquered pork ribs appetizer and Shaking Beef are top notch!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom