problems at character meals?

DisneyBound

Im sure this is extremely uncommon but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything similar and how it was handled. A few weeks ago when we went to WDW, we did a character dinner at Chef Mickeys. We got there, checked in and they sent us right over for the photo. Just as we finished up the photo, we were standing in the corridor just in front of the photo area when we heard this crackling pop sound, and a second time and then my son said "ouch" and grabbed his arm. I looked down at him and then heard the sound again and felt a sharp poke at my arm. I grabbed my arm and looked at it but didnt see anything, then I check out my sons arm to find a small cut, probably 1/2 inch or less in size. It wasnt bleeding bad but it did bleed and it didnt bother him our whole trip but he did complain for the first couple hours occasionally. Apparently, the small hanging lights by the photo area had popped. The CM did go get him a bandaid and apologized and soon after, the restaurant manager came over and gave me a accident report and her card and apologized as well. She asked if we were staying at the hotel (contemporary) and I said no, POR. She didnt return to pick up the accident report so I asked the server to forward it to her. I really had thought maybe they would have given us a 10% discount or something but when the bill came, I paid the $120.00 plus tip and the $26.00 for pictures and we left. I know It wasnt a broken leg that ruined our trip and honestly, we had forgotten it the next day but the little gesture would have been nice. :) I was in restaurant management for 12 years, it just seemed unusual. Ive heard so much about disney magic...I wasnt feeling it there ;) Great meal and atmosphere though...we would go back.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'll put it very bluntly... WDW won't give a dining discount for an injury/illness short of a steak causing someone death

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
The Brown Derby gave us a free bottle of wine when the waiter spilled a glass over my SIL. Hmmm...4 people, 2 bottles of wine..not a good day to ride RnR! :hurl: :D

Upvote 0

DisJosh

I would have asked for a discount...hell. I would have asked for the whole thing to be paid for. :D Sometimes it pays to act a little more angry or upset than you actually are. ;)

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Originally posted by DisJosh
I would have asked for a discount...hell. I would have asked for the whole thing to be paid for. :D Sometimes it pays to act a little more angry or upset than you actually are. ;)

And thus the prices of meals go up a little bit more . . . Nothing is free, and every time something is "Given away" it affects the profitablitly of a restaurant. When the profitability dips, they raise prices. If it isn't truly a big deal, do other diners and yourself on future visits a favor and let it go . . .

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by RPMdfw

And thus the prices of meals go up a little bit more . . . Nothing is free, and every time something is "Given away" it affects the profitablitly of a restaurant. When the profitability dips, they raise prices. If it isn't truly a big deal, do other diners and yourself on future visits a favor and let it go . . .

:rolleyes:

In the real world (not Disney) any reputable resturant that really wanted that customer to actually come back would have offered them something.

My DH is a resturant owner - He says that of course at his establishment they would do what it takes to make a paying customer happy. A discount is not a "give away", it is what is done at any quality resturant to make up for a mistake on their part - Things like that are what encourage patrons to return. Just ignoring an error hurts profitability - an upset guest will most probably not return, and most certainly tell everyone within earshot about the problem that the resturant failed to resolve.

I don't think that customers not returning would be too good for the bottom line...

Upvote 0
Agreed that something should have been done, you should have been taken care of in some way...

BUT, that being said...acting more upset than you really are is not cool to me, as was suggested...

If a complaint is a serious and legit problem that should have been addressed by Disney...then by all means...scream at em ;O) But for smaller things like...a ride goes down because of a broken lever, or it rains, or a show is cancelled (you don't know the reason)...just know that these things WILL happen and it's no ones fault...just bad luck.

See, there is a large percentage of people that attend the parks that base their entire trip around this...they make up stories, complain about the smallest things...demand this and that...and 9 times out of 10 they get what they want since that's Disney's policy.

I'll omit most my stories...because I don't know what I am allowed to say...

Funny ones:

People demanding free tickets because their ear drums are sensitive and burst from the pressure journeying underwater in the Living Seas...in case you didn't know...you don't travel a foot underwater.

Had a guest threaten me if I didn't give them a free fast past because they twisted their foot when the elevator in the Mansion jerked to a sudden stop... in case you didn't know...you don't move anywhere in the HM.

Now, I know that not everyone is like this...but it happens all the time, people stretch the truth and lie to get things they don't deserve knowing that Disney will give it to them, what they don't know is that it also gets the CM's in serious trouble...

I'm not saying that anyone here would even think of this...but know that this goes on often :O(

Jordan

P.S. Let me know your opinion on this...I've been meaning to get people reaction...

Last year, a certain VERY important performer in Fantasmic suddenly collapsed on stage and the show had to be stopped and cacelled. It was OBVIOUS what had happened and the performer sustained serious injury...now...the line to Guest Relations stretched AROUND the park. It was HUGE...people were complaining their day was ruined and wanted free entry or their money back for missing the show after having waited 2 hours to see it.

Now...I understand being upset...but COME ON...you SAW what happened...someone was injured...

In my opinion, Im upset I missed the show...but I understand why and know that its a freak accident, no one fault...I don't complain...

What about you guys...what do you think...and what would you do...Im just curious...

Upvote 0

DisneyBound

Original Poster
I had thought about this when it happened. I even mentioned to my husband that some people must really milk situations like this because the manager seemed nervous about it happening. While I understood the need for the accident report, It seemed a little much for the minor thing. I can imagine the claims that WDW must get over petty things and she even gave me her business card (I guess in case we decided to sue or something) She said in case he required medical attention later. :confused: I didnt feel like this was something they were really at fault with...just one of those freak things that happens. We heard someone complaining at WDW about the heat. They talked as if WDW should be responsible for them overheating. Another mother complained loudly when we went to see the beauty & the beast show (which was cancelled because of rain) She yelled out "you people explain to my children why they will miss this show since this is our last day here...you should pay for us to come back another day" On the other hand...I dont think the $10 discount or even a few disney dollars to my son, or even an extra trip to the table by the characters would have jeprodized their profit in any way. Its just good business. Instead of telling one board about the minor incident, I would have told everyone I know about their consideration and "magical behavior". In the end...this would increase profits. :)

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Perhaps it is because I am from the Midwest, and I think we are generally more mellow that people from the east (don't make me name states--we all know who you are! )

Truthfully, I would be more concerned about the CM's injuries than the show I missed.

It is unfortunate when things are closed or cancelled, but yelling at the CM working the attraction doesn't fix the situation, and makes everyone uncomfortable.

Plus, CM's do NOT get paid enough to take abuse--especially from scam artists.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I agree with you completely, Yellow Shoes (even though I hail from one of those uptight Eastern states!) - an injured performer is lots more important than my inconvenience! And cast members are NOT paid to be abused by rude and/or demanding guests, especially those who are just scam artists.

I do feel, though, that Disney Bound's experience warranted a bit more consideration from Chef Mickey's manager. Flying glass is unpleasant at best, and downright dangerous at worst; although no one was seriously injured, thank God, a 10% discount would have been a nice gesture.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I think that there needs to be a bit of common sense used in a scenario like this. The popping lights are obviously something over which Disney has no control and I feel that a small gesture of good will should be made by the management towards the injured party. However, when somebody spills the contents of 6 glasses over you I think we should be talking about a free meal (and dry cleaning !!)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I disagree on the popping light issue. Disney is responsible for maintaining a safe environment. If someone is hit by lightning, that's an act of God. If someone is electrocuted due to faulty wiring, Disney might be liable. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured in the incident mentioned. But there was obviously some sort of electrical problem that caused it...lights don't pop for no reason. It may have been a manufacturing error, but that is not the guests' concern...it's up to Disney to purchase a safe product, and to take some sort of responsibility when someone is injured (no matter how slightly) while on their property while acting in a reasonable manner. If the depiction of the incident is accurate, neither the poster nor her son touched the lights in any way. An apology should be a given. (and apparently was) However, a small token to make amends for a small inconvenience would not have been out of line.

In my case, when the wine was spilled, we were sitting quietly talking...no one was moving around. My recollection was that it wasn't even a whole glass of wine,(I think he missed the glass while pouring) and it was white wine (red would have stained and ruined her clothes) so the manager COULD have brushed it off (we weren't making a stink) with a simple apology and new linens. When my SIL was asked how he could make amends, all she wanted was a replacement glass of the expensive wine! The manager is the one who sent a whole additional bottle! I also suspect that these incidents are fairly uncommon.

It probably cost him less than $10 wholesale to keep our goodwill. We eat at that restaurant EVERY time we visit MGM and drop at least $100; my SIL lives in the area, and is in the parks about 50 times a year, so probably stops in there a least 6-10 times. Pretty good return on a $10 investment. ;)

Upvote 0

Maria

Don´t hate me for this one please, but americans in general are famous in th tourist industry for looking for minor incidents to claim something for free. When I worked at the hotel, we feared for them and we knew they were going to ask for their bill to be complimentary if something little happened to them. I even found a guest who slipped by the pool and was fakingly limping in front of us. She used to get off on the 17th floor and then take the stairs to the 18 floor instead of taking the elevator all the way up!:rolleyes: Of course, the couple had talked to the GM trying to get the bill fro free, but he refused....sent some fruit basket, apologized and that was all. He knew she was faking it!
:animwink:

I´m not saying that everybody does it, but I think that the more people do that and get something for free, the more this becomes a costume.... :(

Upvote 0

crazyquackers

I agree

Originally posted by Maria
Don´t hate me for this one please, but americans in general are famous in th tourist industry for looking for minor incidents to claim something for free.

I agree. American tourists are the WORST.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I agree completely that we are a nation of wanting something for nothing.

Here's a current thread:

Anyone evere (sic) have a complaint with their room at WDW? What did WDW do for you?

and the ever-popular:

How can I get a (free) upgrade?

We seem to think that we are entitled to a suite when we booked standard just
because we want it .

I agree that Disney has set the bar (perhaps impossibly) high, thus making guests' expectations somewhat unreasonable.

I see the day coming (perhaps it is closer than I think) when "compensation" will be much smaller--a coupon for a snack from a vending cart, a keychain, autographed photo of Mickey, give you your photo package at Chef Mickey's, etc.

I am reminded of the major scam lawsuit of a few years back when the woman claimed to have been raped at Caribbean Beach. ("Law & Order" based an episode on the incident about 2 seasons ago)

This is on a larger scale than the guest who ears "popped" at the Living Seas, but all of that adds up.

And yes, Mom, Disney is ultimately responsible when something goes wrong, but I cannot imagine that they deliberately purchased exploding light bulbs to save a few $.

Stuff happens.
It just happens.
Sometimes no one is at fault.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
[B

And yes, Mom, Disney is ultimately responsible when something goes wrong, but I cannot imagine that they deliberately purchased exploding light bulbs to save a few $.

Stuff happens.
It just happens.
Sometimes no one is at fault. [/B]

Ah, but they may have purchased "cheaper" bulbs to save a few bucks. They may not have "checked" the circuits as frequently as in the past to save a few bucks. They may have hired a "cheaper" electrician to save a few bucks. Whatever the situation might be, the guest certainly is not at fault. Disney is responsible for maintaining their property. They should appease their guest, then deal with whomever or whatever caused the problem so that it doesn't happen again.

If a lightbulb were to explode at my home and cut a guest, you'd better believe I would do everything in my power to make it up to him/her, even if I didn't do anything to cause the accident.

However, I do agree with you about people wanting unrealistic compensation for trivial things.

Mildew in the bathroom? Call housekeeping and keep on calling until someone shows up with a spray bottle of bleach. It doesn't rate an upgrade to concierge, IMO.

Mildew on the shower curtain? When you've finished your shower (or even before) take it down and hand it (politely) to housekeeping to replace. Again, doesn't rate an upgrade.

Being put into a smoking room when a non-smoking has been requested and confirmed? This is a little trickier. My children have allergies, and this is a true health issue. I wouldexpect a different room. If one is not available at the same rate, I WOULD expect an upgrade to a non-smoking room, or even a resort change.

Parade or show rained out? Get real, folks. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Wow! There are so many people around here to agree with that I don't even know where to start!

I of course do not think that people should over-react to tiny things in order to get discounts. I guess that's why Disney (and most other places these days) under-react to problems - they hear so much B.S. that they're not even sure how to act when a legitimate complaint actually comes along! :lol:

I truly do not go to WDW expecting anything free, but I do feel that when they f*** up they should really bend over backwards to make ammends. When I actually am there, it means that I've saved hard for a really long time for the trip....I do expect it to be pretty much "perfect"!

A bug in the hot chocolate is definately NOT perfect! <sigh>

Upvote 0

erring

One thing that we try to do when we go down to Disney is when some CM goes out of their way to help us... I mean beyond the "Disney Magic" kind of help... we fine a warm fuzzy for them... say that they really help us.

Example, my wife was looking for a key chain for her Mom and we were in alot of stores looking for the one we wanted (the kind that had the first letter of someone's name)... thing is the stores were all out of the letter we wanted. We eventually went to one store... they were out... a CM asked if she could help us and we told her what we wanted (as we did with other CM in other stores)... she said, hold on I'll call around, she came back and told us where to go and that they would hold it for us. None of the other CM did that.... so we went to Customer Service and filled out a form saying we were really happy with the service we got from her.

People are too easy to complain about things sometimes and hardly ever give credit when someone does something good. I agree that some of the stories told above deserve some attention from the CM, but next time go to Disney and look for that one CM that goes out of their way to help you have a wonderful trip and put in a good word for their personal file. It will make you feel great too. :king:

erring

Upvote 0

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
Back to the first post about Chef Mickey's. I have eaten there once and got the ABSOULUTE best of service. My dad and i drove down from north alabama may 20 2002. The next day was my VERY VERY VERY sweet 16. While we were waiting on for our time we wrote postcards that we had gotten the day b4 at Downtown Disney. Chef Mickey's actaully let us in a few minutes early. We soon got our picture taken and a pic w/ chef goofy. While our server was walking us to the table we were all making casual conversation my dad mentioned it was my birthday and i said it was my very sweet 16. Our server was INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She sat us w/ a view of Cinderella Castle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the best view. She gave me a "Today's my Birthday" pin (u can also pick this up at city hall and other locations. she also gave me a "it's my special day" placemat. She also gave me a chocolate cupcake w/ 2 dolllops of whip cream (to form Mickey Mouse) and a candle. the sprinkles were in the shape of MM and there was a small chocltate Mickey mouse head (w/a face not just the icon) which my dad and i shared. She was very friendly and invited us to stay for as long as we like. all the characters were great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom