Private homes on the way to Walt Disney World

TheBeatles

The only way I'd maybe support this is if the homes and neighborhood were designed and themed creatively.

Make it look like they belong in Disney World.

MissM

Also, Florida, in general, is not experiencing the economic downturn like other states.
Um, yes it is. Horribly in fact. My sister's been trying to sell her home for going on two years now with no luck. The housing market is absolutely awful. (And there's still the huge matter in Florida about home owner's insurance that's getting nowhere fast.)
-m

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
It makes me kind of sad to see this. I've always thought of the WDW property as a retreat from the over-development and rows of McMansions I face at home. It seems with this development and the western way development underway that the outside world is closing in on the property. I understand the company's need to turn a profit, but will there be any open space left in the future?

Amen!! All I have to say is booooooooooooooo :fork::fork::fork:

Even if I could afford one of those houses....I'd rather live in Celebration.

LeeSeeBabe

It makes me kind of sad to see this. I've always thought of the WDW property as a retreat from the over-development and rows of McMansions I face at home. It seems with this development and the western way development underway that the outside world is closing in on the property. I understand the company's need to turn a profit, but will there be any open space left in the future?

well said! :sohappy:

WDWEric

This is one of the problems of the internet. People over analyze things. Disney world is what 46 sq.miles? and they are going to take an area the size of a golf course and build houses on it. There is still plently of room and you probably won't even see the homes. I wonder is fansites like this were around when Celebration was built would people still complain? yes. Do they complain about how it turned out? I dont think so. I think its a great business move and it will probably bring in a huge profit. can you imagine the property taxes?!?

david10225

Wow....I finally have something worthwhile to add...

I wonder how this would affect the Reddy Creek District. I was under the assumption that the amount of "residents" in RCD was strictly controlled so the regular folk wouldn't have a say in how things were run in RCD....is this land being carved out out RCD?

MasonDuo

It makes me wonder if this would even happen at all. We may be jumping the gun. I seem to remember that the Disney Village Resort (now the treehouses) was originally going to be a housing development where people could purchase the properties. What happened was that the people who owned these properties would have some say in what happened in the surrounding areas (zoning stuff). So this never happened and the property was made into a resort. So, I highly doubt that Disney would want to run the risk that future developments could be in jeopardy over what some private owners could vote out.

RiversideBunny

This is the beginning of the end for Walt Disney World as we know it.

This event, while seemingly an isolated one, marks the zenith of WDW's popularity and appeal.

Observers will look back and say that WDW became a victim of its own success.

IMHO
:)

"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." - Walt Disney

Walt did originally plan for people to live, work, and recreate on the property which is now the current EPCOT. He invisioned industrial, housing, and the Theme Parks on the property. He also though an airport was going to go smack in the middle of the property. So far the lack of this part of his dream is actually been a good move.

"It's like the city of tomorrow ought to be. A city that caters to the people as a service function. It will be a planned, controlled community, a showcase for American industry and research, schools, cultural and educational opportunities. " - Walt Disney

I do prefer the current vision of open, undevoloped spaces around the WDW property, but have no clue what the actual costs are to the Disney Company to maintain, and hang onto empty space. I am sure the County and State dont let them pay nothing as far as taxes on the valuable vacant land. I am torn on this one. Celebration was one thing, It was south of the freeways, and really not intruding too much on the Theme park's atmosphere. Well have to wait and see. It might not even be noticed when all is said and done.

kiawahman

Account Suspended
I think it would be very easy for Disney to sell out that small amount of homes in such a unique space. There may be a housing decline for the masses right now, but there sure are enough people with a lot of money out there to snap these up.

I totally agree. First, if they do sell those houses they will go fast, even with this so called mortgage crisis. These would be totally different than Celebration which is surrounded by kissimmee.

Wow....I finally have something worthwhile to add...

I wonder how this would affect the Reddy Creek District. I was under the assumption that the amount of "residents" in RCD was strictly controlled so the regular folk wouldn't have a say in how things were run in RCD....is this land being carved out out RCD?

Yes, the property is to be de-annexed from the Reedy Creek Devolopment Authourity, much the same way portions of the Celebration property was.
The property, now Celebration, was also subsequently sold off for the most part, and no longer owned by Disney.

Captain Chaos

Original Poster
Ok, since I originally posted the article, I should give my feelings...

Remember, one if the original plans for WDW was a community inside WDW where people would live.. Epcot Center anyone??? I know they build Celebration, but, Celebration is not within Disney's walls. These homes would be. So, in a way, one of Walt's original idea for WDW may be fulfilled, although on a less grand scale than he imagined.

On that note, wasn't one of the reasons WDW is designed the way it is, is so none of the intrusive outside world can see or be seen within WDW limits? Well, the outside world is creeping in. If I wanted to go to a theme park and see a Motel 6 within the vicinity, I'd go to Great Adventure. If I wanted to see a community of mansions, I'd drive through Deal or Upper Saddle River, NJ... This is not what should be put on DIsney property.

So, I guess you can say I am kind of mixed on this. Guess I'll hold official judgement until I see how it all turns out....

Expo_Seeker40

:D Holy cow I like this change :hammer:

It's good that EPCOT was never built, and Celebration is a suitable compliment to the original idea...and is across 1-4 on Disney's eastern property.

As for as the homes go, yeah go for it Disney, but they could still try to get middle and upper middle class people to move in to nice townhomes, apartments, etc...in a true operating Disney Village. :wave:

tigsmom

There is not a housing / mortgage crisis for those that can afford to own a home and it is basically zero for those that can afford a second home. The foreclosures and credit issues are specifically centered around the sub-prime loans --- those people that should never have bought a house to begin with. Now, it's being used to fuel a frenzy to enact broader regulations.

Please... let's not buy into nor further the hype.

As for the OP... I predict it will be a huge success and they will have little trouble moving the houses. In fact, as mentioned, if you wanted and could afford the house, it would probably be a decent investment as a rental property.

I have to disagree. I know people who have owned their home for years (non - sub prime mortgages) who are losing their homes to foreclosure for various reasons. These people were never living above their means, but with the economic situation the way it is cannot make payments and afford to live.

You may think its hype, but its real life for many people and dismissing it so easily is an insult. Things may not be bad where you live, but it is in other places.

Now that I have read the article again. Isnt this the Four Season's devolopment that was announced last year? The origninal announcment was simmilar to what the posted article has mentioned. The Original Four Seasons project was slated to begin right now, and be completed into 2010. The only thing that is vague, is wether or not there will be single family homes, or just time share and multi-family structures. That plan calls for the Ospery and Eagle pines courses to be devoloped into a new 18 hole golf community.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/fourseasonsgolfresort.htm

Main Street USA

You know, back in the day when Disney was building the whole area with the Treehouse Villas, they were intending to use them for residential properties. That idea quickly went away when they realized that state law said that these people would be able to VOTE on what happened with Disney property around them.

For that reason, I just don't see this happening............unless of course they've found some sort of loophole.

Fun2BFree

You know, back in the day when Disney was building the whole area with the Treehouse Villas, they were intending to use them for residential properties. That idea quickly went away when they realized that state law said that these people would be able to VOTE on what happened with Disney property around them.

For that reason, I just don't see this happening............unless of course they've found some sort of loophole.

Yes, but these are supposed to be holiday homes rather than full residential properties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom