Princess Leia....A Disney Princess?

rogerrabbitfan9

The whole "Disney Princess" thing is a convenient marketing tool that Disney invented to allow the multiple IPs to generate more money than they would on their own. Star Wars generates plenty of money as an IP unit alone, so I doubt that Disney would bring Leia into the group. (This is the same reason that the characters from Frozen aren't Disney Princesses, since they also generate plenty of their own money.)

While this post sounds REALLY cynical, I think it's kind of genius how Disney worked it out.

Florida_is_hot

They all originated with Disney. They were not someone elses brain child.

Wrong do a Google search most Disney Princesses were adopted from other sources. I think Princesses Leia is a strong female role model that girls need. Not a Princesses who measures success in finding a Prince.

The only reason if took Disney so long is past criteria Disney Princesses were all animated characters.

Walter Elias Disney

What about Atta the crown princess ant, the eldest daughter of the Queen of the ant colony and heir to the throne from A Bug's Life. She is a Disney/Pixar original story princess.

Attachments

• 23fe3e6e4e3538fd8267482c1d8c29c1.jpg
    23fe3e6e4e3538fd8267482c1d8c29c1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 40

doctornick

I do find it interesting they have no Face characters for M&G. I wonder if there is a reason.

I always thought the reason is that they'd have to pay royalties to the likes of Carrie Fisher for their likeness. A character like Vader, Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, etc. doesn't run into this problem, nor is there any issues with face characters based on cartoons. At least that was the reported rationale when they didn't have Giselle from Enchanted in the parks (because they'd have to pay Amy Adams extra for it).

They had M&Gs for Star Wars weekends, but that was limited times so they might just have been willing to eat the costs for that as part of the package for that promotion.

That being said.... they do have Mary Poppins appear in the parks. So it might just be bunk. Any other face characters based on live people?

JWG

I anticipate that no real face princess will ever be an official princess who must appear. Simply due to paying for the likeness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom