News Princess Cruises takes shot at cost of WDW

Hitchens

Original Poster
Clever ad . . .

. . . but the cost of the additional excursions they show in the commercial would make it an expensive cruise,
and an inside cabin on a Disney Cruise to Alaska is a good deal.

My young daughter LOVED our Disney Wonder vacation to Alaska, as did my wife & I.
I've written this before, but the outstanding Disney Cruise cast/crew members made us feel like we were never in coach
despite being in our inside cabin.

That written, I would prefer a non-Disney cruise, unless I was with a kid who was between 4 & 12.
Also, my wife & I would splurge on a cabin with a balcony now.

Stupido

Its always so wild to me how many companies make complete campaigns or their entire online presence about taking shots at Disney. I always cringe when Universal's interns burn their fingers typing up tweets about the Mouse, so its weird seeing another company following suit. Here's to more imaginative marketing going forward. 🥂

SBlake

Its always so wild to me how many companies make complete campaigns or their entire online presence about taking shots at Disney.
Six Flags shot themselves in the foot with this method. Back in the nineties, rather than embracing their good qualities as a closer to home weekend getaway destination, they HAD to throw Disney into their ad campaigns with the "Bigger than Disneyland" spiel :facepalm:

Dear Prudence

Clever ad . . .

. . . but the cost of the additional excursions they show in the commercial would make it an expensive cruise,

My young daughter LOVED our Disney Wonder vacation to Alaska, as did my wife & I.
I've written this before, but the outstanding Disney Cruise cast/crew members made us feel like we were never in coach

That written, I would prefer a non-Disney cruise, unless I was with a kid who was between 4 & 12.

they could have literally JUST said "Alaska is filled with magic" or something like that without the passive aggressive Mean Girls nonsense at Disney. Alaska really is stunningly beautiful, though. I've never been. I am sort of terrified of how isolated it is, but I want to go someday.

Ayla

they could have literally JUST said "Alaska is filled with magic" or something like that without the passive aggressive Mean Girls nonsense at Disney. Alaska really is stunningly beautiful, though. I've never been. I am sort of terrified of how isolated it is, but I want to go someday.
'Cause Disney is the only place with Main Streets, mountains, trains, riverboats and fireworks?

Y'all. Some of you need to get out of the bubble.

JoeCamel

Its always so wild to me how many companies make complete campaigns or their entire online presence about taking shots at Disney. I always cringe when Universal's interns burn their fingers typing up tweets about the Mouse, so its weird seeing another company following suit. Here's to more imaginative marketing going forward. 🥂

Reminds me of those Universal ads where they'd say things like "Fairy tales and pixie dust not quite your thing?" and "If I have to hug one more princess, I think I'm gonna hurl."

Remember those?

Six Flags shot themselves in the foot with this method. Back in the nineties, rather than embracing their good qualities as a closer to home weekend getaway destination, they HAD to throw Disney into their ad campaigns with the "Bigger than Disneyland" spiel :facepalm:
People love a good corporate sign war

zombiebbq

I love when Universal does it. Someone needs to take Disney parks down a peg. The Princess cruise one seems more like sour grapes because I've never heard anyone say anything but amazing things about a Disney cruise.

Anteater

Not a terrible ad at all. I am never a fan of mentioning competition as it's free publicity for them, also you don't need to take a cruise to do any of that, it makes me want to visit Alaska not necessarily get on a cruise ship.
OK, it's confirmed: An Alaska Pavilion for epcot. Can't wait to see how the imagineer design the forced perspective the glaciers. And, the Northern Lights? That'll be AWESOME at night. I'm guessing the train ride will be around the glaciers?

Now, where are they going to feature this? Tear down Canada and put it there?

RSoxNo1

Clever ad . . .

This is a fantastic ad.

The mindset amongst many people in the community is that Disney is competing with Universal. They're competing with any vacation destination that's priced similarly to them or less. If you have $10K for a Disney vacation, you aren't particularly restricted on where in the world you can go.

Sir_Cliff

This is a fantastic ad.

The mindset amongst many people in the community is that Disney is competing with Universal. They're competing with any vacation destination that's priced similarly to them or less. If you have $10K for a Disney vacation, you aren't particularly restricted on where in the world you can go.
I think it's a good ad, too, and hits on a far more serious vulnerability for Disney than Epic Universe: that people will compare the ever-rising costs of a WDW vacation to other options and start doing different types of vacations. I also don't see this as a super nasty ad as it's kind of a backhanded compliment to Disney's towering status as a vacation destination. Where it might not be entirely effective is that people seeing this fresh are being pushed to connect the dots of all the references which might get them thinking more about Disney than Alaska!

I find the Universal digs a lot more obnoxious. Again, though, that strategy also sets Disney up as the slicker, more professional leader in Orlando and Universal as the scrappier underdog.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom