News Princess Cruises takes shot at cost of WDW

Joffrey

This would have been a great commercial if it wasn’t an “attack ad”. Show me what makes Princess a great vacation instead of just dumping on some I other place. It reminds me of the old universal commercials or their current Twitter account and it just seems obnoxious.

I watched it twice. Could you point out the "attack" part?

Was it where they showed what to expect on the cruise or the part where they said it was cheaper than other vacations?

Florida Man

Reminds me of those Universal ads where they'd say things like "Fairy tales and pixie dust not quite your thing?" and "If I have to hug one more princess, I think I'm gonna hurl."

Remember those?
The ”fairytales and pixie dust not quite your thing?“ were some of the best commercials ever!

that was my favorite one. That still looks fun today.

MurphyJoe

'Cause Disney is the only place with Main Streets, mountains, trains, riverboats and fireworks?

Y'all. Some of you need to get out of the bubble.

Except they ended with a note on the pricing compared to theme park vacations, plus they directly mentioned Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge. There's a link right there. Though I do think some posters are reading the tone of the ad overtly harshly. Maybe it's because I'm also familiar with Princess, but the ad is coming across as "If you're considering Disney, why not consider us instead?" to me. Wraps back to the comments about people who can afford Disney World regularly can also afford other vacations too.

As far as the DCL comments go, with other posters, I've seen plenty of people comment negatively elsewhere on the line, mostly due to pricing being far higher than cruise lines with similar amenities.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
As someone who's been to Alaska on a cruise (not Princess or Disney), I 100% agree with them. Alaska is magical and there is no comparison to Disney.

Well yeah, Alaska isnt the easiest place to get to so of course it would be magical.

Sir_Cliff

The ”fairytales and pixie dust not quite your thing?“ were some of the best commercials ever!

that was my favorite one. That still looks fun today.

I guess this is why I ended up becoming a Disney fan: that is not an ad that would entice me to choose somewhere as a vacation destination!

The Princess ad for Alaska might, though.

celluloid

I guess this is why I ended up becoming a Disney fan: that is not an ad that would entice me to choose somewhere as a vacation destination!

The Princess ad for Alaska might, though.

It was a Spring Summer 2004 and modified in 2005 ad. Catchy use of Surrender and ok.

I mean, I don't find Disney's ads from the same era delivering the qualities you mentioned. This one is almost cringey now and does not have a single real shot of the parks in it.

Sir_Cliff

It was a Spring Summer 2004 and modified in 2005 ad. Catchy use of Surrender and ok.

I mean, I don't find Disney's ads from the same era delivering the qualities you mentioned. This one is almost cringey now and does not have a single real shot of the parks in it.

What qualities did I mention?

Either way, that's also not a good ad. It doesn't grate on my quite as much as trying to make going to theme parks seem like an extreme and edgy vacation and the people sitting around stuffing their faces gives me a bit of a shudder as it's too close to real life! Part of the issue with that particular Disney ad is how terrible the CGI looks now, but there is also a hint of that trying to be smart with Jiminy Cricket getting annoyed with Goofy which is a little cringy. I think Disney works better when they lean into the nostalgia and magic.

Maybe I'm just old, but the cruise to Alaska did look like it could be a nice alternative to WDW, though!

Dear Prudence

I don't understand why any brand needs to compete, when they can just....be better. Show how good they are without having to bring anything else into it. No one is your competition if you are the best

celluloid

I don't understand why any brand needs to compete, when they can just....be better. Show how good they are without having to bring anything else into it. No one is your competition if you are the best

That is quite the circular reasoning statement. Almost like Yogi Berra statement.

Dear Prudence

That is quite the circular reasoning statement. Almost like Yogi Berra statement.
It's not a circular statement. If you're doing everything to the best of your abilities and are actively making strides to be the best at what you do, you do not have competition. Competitiveness is for insecure losers, IMO. In the time people spend making attack or shade ads, they can just make and provide a better product. It's really that simple.

Dear Prudence

Throwing shade at other companies doesn't make me want to buy your products anymore. Instead of showcasing what you actually have to offer, it shows you put your effort into slamming others. Like the chicken sandwiches commercials war going on right now is just STRAIGHT bonkers to me. The NLOG of crappy fast food chicken? No thanks.😬😬😬😬

celluloid

It's not a circular statement. If you're doing everything to the best of your abilities and are actively making strides to be the best at what you do, you do not have competition. Competitiveness is for insecure losers, IMO. In the time people spend making attack or shade ads, they can just make and provide a better product. It's really that simple.

I would agree about the shade ads, but you can be competitive without resorting to twitter smears, which I personally dislike strongly.

But that does not mean competition is inherently unhealthy.

brb1006

Six Flags shot themselves in the foot with this method. Back in the nineties, rather than embracing their good qualities as a closer to home weekend getaway destination, they HAD to throw Disney into their ad campaigns with the "Bigger than Disneyland" spiel :facepalm:
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Keep in mind this was during the Sega Vs Nintendo era of commercials.

brb1006

Where we you during the "Genesis Does What Nintendont" era?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom