Priciest Place on Earth

Raxel7851

Just a small observation on my part. We have been going to WDW 2-3 times a year since we retired in 2016, except for the Covid period. Our last trip was 2weeks ago. In my humble opinion, the parks were crowded, resort transportation was full, standby lines long, the dreaded Genie+ LLs were full.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
No doubt Disney has always been expensive. But I do agree that the nickel and diming has increased dramatically the last 5 years or so.

Roughly 2015, when a certain bald crap peddler was installed as the head of P&R. Coincidence, I'm sure. :cautious: Yes, prices were on an steeper-than-in-the-past upward trend before that, but it went into overdrive with $lappie.

CampbellzSoup

I wrote this on the DIS but it’s totally true that I without any real value to staying on property I stay in off site accommodations and the food outside is absolutely delicious. Doing those things I don’t feel cheated or have a sour taste in my mouth about disney.

crawale

We were Annual Pass holders, DVC members and visited at least once or twice a year for 35 years until Disney took the opportunity provided by Covid to greatly reduce the value and increase the prices - charging for things that were at one time free perks for Passholders and DVC members. When you feel like you are being exploited is when we drew the line and no longer visit. Disney was once a place of magic now surly employees in their own clothes no longer provide that. The new Disney vision to promote LGBTQ over everything else has been the final straw. There are those of course who will pay more for less and less and are quite happy with the new Disney but now my entire family are not in that number.

DfromATX

Cruising when that business eventually comes back , is a better financial option. The residents of FL and adjacent states can save on travel since they can just drive to the port.
Cruising has been back for a while now. I went on one exactly a month ago. Ours was a reschedule of a cruise cancelled a long time ago and re-booked a while back (mid pandemic) so we were actually able to get the alchohol package for half price, which was a pretty sweet deal! However, we've been looking at booking another cruise and prices have gone up a lot there too, unfortunately. But still, cruising (not with Disney) is a pretty affordable and nice vacation, if you're into that sort of thing.

sinead

And yes, largest "single-site" employer is what makes it an easier target.
If the Reedy Creek story is new to any Disney fan (or someone looking to buy property in the affected counties), it's worth your time researching it.

EPCOT-O.G.

Ad hominem attacks as to the source aside, variations of this article are run every month or so.

Here’s the Tampa Bay Times yesterday:

Washington Post in March:

Care to address the core issues raised, rather than attack a news source that doesn’t confirm your priors?

danyoung56

Well, I just read the article. And there aren't a lot of items to dispute. Disney did discontinue the airport shuttle, they are charging for hotel parking, and prices have gone up well ahead of the inflation curve. The only thing in the article that was factually incorrect was about the parking shuttles. Disney has in no way discontinued the shuttles - they just have yet to open post-pandemic.

It's no secret that a WDW vacation can be expensive. But as others have said, everyone has a choice. I'm sure I couldn't have visited as many time as I have if I had a wife and a bunch of kids, so that's worked to my advantage. If you can't afford it, don't go. Or do things like stay off property or don't get a park hopper or don't buy Genie+. You can have a great time and still be able to afford it.

JIMINYCR

Ho hum…. Just another hit piece like others we’ve seen occasionally. You should know what the price will be and then decide how you can work it out to make it more affordable. Yes Disney has gotten expensive and it can be an issue for some to afford but don’t splurge and then complain after the trips over. No one gets anything these days at a cost that once was. And no business can be run by giving away their product at costs we’d ask for because we would like it to be cheap.

EricsBiscuit

Oh! Thx. I wrongly assumed the FOXBusiness piece was based on a TV commentator.

I agree. FOX viewers in the greatest majority support one political party in the USA. That party supports DeSantis, a leader in that party.
That party also supports DeSantis in his conflict with WDW. Elected members of that party in other states are also calling for punative govt regulation/restrictions on WDW & TWDC business practices.

Someone with different political views from FOX would probably NOT contact FOXBusiness to lodge a complaint about WDW.
That's our reality here in USA.

Having discussions with friends in UK, I see that our politics are not always explained fully in UK media.

The difference between FOX Business & FOX "news" is one of personal perception.
It's not a question of what we think. The record of his statements & actions speak for themselves. I do suggest the facts disagree with your assumption. It's a huge story. The info is available to those interested. And WDW is not FLA's largest employer (approx 75K). Publix has approx 193K. This has all been discussed in prior threads.
Yeah I said single site employer. Way to not read my post. Not even worth discussing further.

kingdead

Nobody's going to write a nicey nicey piece about Disney World in a mainstream outlet, not because of politics, but because 1. negative stories get more reads and 2. there isn't anything recent about Disney World that is worth an unqualified positive story. When Guardians opens, that might get some positive coverage. Until then, "my family is well off and we can afford to go to Disney World even though it's more expensive" isn't really what a media outlet wants to put effort towards.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They’re getting this kinda article from all over the spectrum…I don’t think you can tie this back to that political boondoggle.

This is more linked to the labor/inflation/cost/stock decline stories
We have kind of heard this for years. I do think it's expensive, but dang it so is renting a shore house for a week. Also in today's world of Instagram and humblebrags, people will save up and so what it takes to take a WDW vacation so they can brag about it....
Ahhh…so YOU Are Bob Chapek? 😡🤪
I’m sorry, but you don’t get to pick a hotel that costs $945 a night and then complain about being priced out!

Nobody forced your boujee butts to stay at a deluxe monorail resort, mr. Rockefeller.
Yeah…I get that…it’s a misdirection…

But to get on the 3:00 guardians ride today…gonna cost your 3 years old about $150+$15+$20…

So the low end costs aren’t exactly reflective of a mass audience either.

LittleMerman

I don't need to read the article to tell someone that WDW is way overpriced. The resorts, tickets, and food are all overpriced. Then there are all the add-ons like Genie+, LL, MagicBand, etc. And with Disney taking away some perks like Magical Express, it adds to the cost. And that's all on top of getting down to FL in the first place.

There's no doubt that it's out of control. For those of us that are true fans and can afford it, it's still a really fun experience, but it's a tough pill to swallow spending so much money at one time and things continuing to get more and more expensive. But Disney will take a hit for some of that - more families just won't go or will stay off-site, go for shorter trips, or spend more time at their competitors like Universal. I've heard a lot of talk about Disney catering to the rich lately and I agree that they are but it's sad. Disney is not a luxury brand.

I don't know if Disney will ever get better but it's obvious that they put profits first before their product and customers and that's where the disconnect is. It used to feel like our experiences were the priority. A lot of the magic is gone when everything is such an obvious cash-grab. Of course, Disney is a for-profit business, but again, everything is insanely overpriced to what seems like an unnecessary level.

Imhere

I've said this before but the cost of a Disney vacation really is relative. If you have 2 weeks vacation a year and usually you spend 1 week in a mom & pop motel in Myrtle Beach and the other week driving to Indiana to visit relatives, then yeah, the year you choose to use one of those weeks on WDW is going to be a shock to the system.

We usually spend a week in Hilton Head every year. A couple years ago we got to our $4,500 rental house on Saturday. On Sunday I shelled out $520 for 4 of us to play golf, 2 kids rented Jet skis for $350, wife and daughter went parasailing, there's another $250. So, now its 1:00 pm on Sunday and we're sitting on the porch and we've spent $1,120 for the mornings activities. What do you all want to do this afternoon? And the next 6 and a half days?

Sure, Disney is expensive, but, I don't think it's expensive compared to similar level vacations.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
It’s expensive no doubt. No way around the insane ticket prices unless having access to ‘low’ priced AP and alot of use.

Our WDW budget for next 2 person 5 day trip is $1500 for the room, $1250 on tickets and $1250 food. We could opt for Pop possibly at $800, $1100 tickets if we cut the hoppers, and $600 for quick services we like. $4k vs $2.5k, we’ve gone both paths previously. For us one is a celebratory splurge and the other enjoyable too.

It would not be fair to say a 5 day trip costs $4k. It could cost that. I could also cut it down to $400 for AirBNB and a crafty $300 food budget, tickets can’t budge much but let’s do 4 day x2 $1000, and transport costs will be added. The non-park day in the middle helps rest us for 4 open-to-close park days. $2k could work to see WDW.

Oh wait! We left the kids home, haha. They were offered to go but letting Mom & Dad enjoy a trip alone because young adults ‘have better things to do’ anyway. If they tagged along rooms costs won’t change, food budget only goes up 50% because we’d do more groceries and meal shares, and the tickets… there’s the big cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom