Predictions! Secret WDC Project — August 22 @ D23

Crazydisneyfanluke

I'm going to play the prediction game.
My guesses:
1. They finally have the technology to unfreeze Walt or bring him back from the dead
2. A historical presentation on how amazing Disney was and how they want to run it into the ground
3. An interactive dance party
4. Character meet and greet.
5. A Fox presentation on their upcoming movies/shows.

chimchimcheree

Expectation: "We've come to our senses and have decided to stop producing live-action remakes."
Reality: "The rumors are true. We're remaking The Great Mouse Detective. Now, here's a trailer for our upcoming live-action remake of The Black Cauldron."

(Actually, I'm expecting a Disney Rewards program drop, but it's more fun to make fun of the live-action remakes.)

DougK

Disney is going to announce that like Universal they will now count their water parks as Theme Parks.

Which will mean there will now be a total of 6 Disney Theme Parks at WDW which is 50% more than the current 4 Theme Parks.

Therefore all tickets, passes, parties, snacks, hotel rooms, parking, souvenirs, etc will immediately increase in price by 50%.

Have a Magical day!

Kamikaze

Expectation: "We've come to our senses and have decided to stop producing live-action remakes."
Reality: "The rumors are true. We're remaking The Great Mouse Detective. Now, here's a trailer for our upcoming live-action remake of The Black Cauldron."

(Actually, I'm expecting a Disney Rewards program drop, but it's more fun to make fun of the live-action remakes.)

Yes, because they aren't making huge piles of money ...

chimchimcheree

Yes, because they aren't making huge piles of money ...
Unfortunately!
giphy.gif

brodie999

I hear it's not related to parks, products, or services - it's more of a feel-good thing for employees and the company.
I agree. Whatever Disney has in store for us, the secret project will surprise us all with a bang. That's why Universal's announcement was so top secret they couldn't reveal any more details beyond the park concept.

Rodan75

I think this is one of two options after yesterday:

1 - if they had something super exciting to share that could be material to earnings, they would have done it during the earnings call to take some of the sting out of the earnings report.

2 - they knew they needed something to get wall street excited after the earnings call, so they added something material to D23 with an announcement before the event to restart the stock growth.

I think the first one is more likely given Iger's history and that this surprise announcement is definitely something that isn't really 'secret' or that it isn't material to future earnings.

UNCgolf

I know you joke, but Disney did pick up the film rights to the entire Chronicles of Prydain a few years ago so it's entirely possible they will be releasing a live action The Black Cauldron. And I would love to see them release a new five movie series because those books are among the best young adult fantasy ever written. It wouldn't be a live action remake of the animated film, though, because that film was nothing like the actual book.

Not that that's something they would be announcing as a secret project, of course.

Rodan75

I know you joke, but Disney did pick up the film rights to the entire Chronicles of Prydain a few years ago so it's entirely possible they will be releasing a live action The Black Cauldron. And I would love to see them release a new five movie series because those books are among the best young adult fantasy ever written. It wouldn't be a live action remake of the animated film, though, because that film was nothing like the actual book.

Not that that's something they would be announcing as a secret project, of course.

TheDisInsider site (which has been pretty reliable on the movie/tv front) has consistently stated that Chronicles of Prydain is in active development, but won't spill if it is for D+ or elsewhere.

britain

I think this is one of two options after yesterday:

1 - if they had something super exciting to share that could be material to earnings, they would have done it during the earnings call to take some of the sting out of the earnings report.

2 - they knew they needed something to get wall street excited after the earnings call, so they added something material to D23 with an announcement before the event to restart the stock growth.

I think the first one is more likely given Iger's history and that this surprise announcement is definitely something that isn't really 'secret' or that it isn't material to future earnings.

One thing is certain, anything that would require a substantial amount of money (like the $75B used to purchase Fox) would have been brought up on the call. So whatever it is, it will probably fit within current budgets.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Now see that's one live-action treatment I'd LIKE to see! Stuff more obscure that has a chance at redemption.

chimchimcheree

Okay, now *this* is something I can get excited for. I think The Black Cauldron and Oliver and Co. are the two most underrated/undervalued films in the Disney catalogue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom