Predictions on when evening hours and nighttime shows can resume?

jrhwdw

I agree that they do provide a better guest experience but I was trying to say they aren’t done just for that purpose. They have a true economic positive benefit outside of making guests more happy. Adding RoL to AK and the night time tree stuff and the other entertainment was a good example. It kept people there into the evening and they spent money on dinner and possibly shopping and snacks too. Having a day time parade at MK adds to guest experience but lacks any tangible economic benefit outside of increasing overall guest satisfaction and keeping people coming back for more.

On the parades and fireworks front I think it seems like outdoor gatherings, especially with masks and some attempt at physical distancing, are less risky than some other activities. If there’s one thing all the recent protests have shown us it’s that large outdoor gatherings are not guaranteed to result in major spikes in cases and Disney has the ability to do outdoor shows in a safer and more organized manner than any protest rally. I think an outdoor fireworks show is less problematic than an indoor theater show or even indoor dining. Right now it’s probably more the optics they want to avoid. Pictures of people gathered in a crowd go against their goal of appearing very safe and going above and beyond government requirements. As time goes on I think more focus will be on indoor activities and they may have a chance to bring some outdoor stuff back.
I knew I saw HEA Crowds before the Parks ReOpened!!! That's why I was second guessing the limited entertainment when UOR Reopened. I'm all for safety, we all are, But, why should the parks suffer if some of America "looks" Open??

^I hope I worded that correctly and didn't offend anyone!

TTA94

Original Poster
I actually think ROE suffered in its last year because HEA was a vastly superior and popular show then Wishes, and frankly in my opinion ROE. Before HEA, ROE was the best regular night show on property But afterwards it was second fiddle.

Probably the hope is that Harmonious will put Epcot back up there on the list of places to be at night instead of just MK with HEA.

WDW Monorail

Fireworks are expensive, the shows are by far the most expensive line item on the budget. Disney does not do those shows out of the goodness of their heart, thankfully these beloved shows have been shown to drive spending time and time again.

The traditional fireworks shows are a cheap way to keep customers in the parks longer.

Touchdown

Interesting! I like that Statement/Opion!! Could we get to that not too far off?? Is it the same with Parades?

Yes but parades cost a lot more money (cast saleries and float upkeep) and cause more traffic issues for a longer time.

Shows like WOC, pure projection shows and ROL are cheaper on a per performance base then Firework shows which are cheaper then parades.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd say early/first quarter 2021 based off mass availability of a vaccine later this year going into early next. Yes, I realize people are still skeptics of a vaccine being available that soon - but I am more optimistic based on reading where the Phase 3 trials are at. Oxford scheduled to get results next month, Moderna in November, etc. I'd be shocked if some vaccine wasn't available in at least enough quantities for nursing homes by the end of the year.
The development of a vaccine doesn’t mean it will work.

Vaccines for viruses...over time...have had more failures than success stories

sbunit

I'd say early/first quarter 2021 based off mass availability of a vaccine later this year going into early next. Yes, I realize people are still skeptics of a vaccine being available that soon - but I am more optimistic based on reading where the Phase 3 trials are at. Oxford scheduled to get results next month, Moderna in November, etc. I'd be shocked if some vaccine wasn't available in at least enough quantities for nursing homes by the end of the year.

I've said multiple times, if you read all the news outlets and interviews, there will be a vaccine available by the end of 2020. In fact, they're already in production and being manufactured ahead of the trials (in reverse fashion as compared to traditionally doing the trials first then mass producing). The government recognizes the urgency of getting a vaccine out to the public irrespective of how well it may work. Honestly, I think they have tempered expectations in how well it will work and we will need annual vaccinations. But it will be ready and available this year for the simple fact that they know the population won't get back to life as usual without the psychological comfort of knowing there is a vaccine available to alleviate the fear. Fauci has confirmed this timeline himself (and the fact that they are being manufactured already ahead of clinical trials).

With that in mind, I think Disney and the rest of the world starts to ease back to normal starting spring 2021. The world economy cannot continue to function in this manner, and Disney is only one example of constraints on the economy.

Mickey Pride

Unfortunately until there is a long term solution to this pandemic these night time shows are not going to happen. Ones such as Happily Ever After draw a very large crowd in front of the castle and even beyond that to where there is no possible way to social distance at all. The same can pretty much be said for the night time show in a lesser sense in Epcot. Rivers of Light and Fantasmic are much easier to solve as they are in a stadium type setting with seating and it can be controlled by closing off rows of seats.

WDW Pro

Any predictions on when we could see evening hours, mainly MK, can return and maybe nighttime shows?
Nighttime shows I can see may take a little bit, possibly when Covid cases drop significantly, but I’m sure they Could be done with limited capacity and marked off areas to stand in?

When the pandemic ends. You can't do night time in the parks because the sun is necessary to destroy the virus. That's why protests at night were so terrible for super spreading... no sun is no UV rays is virus gets to live on stuff much longer.

ToTBellHop

I've said multiple times, if you read all the news outlets and interviews, there will be a vaccine available by the end of 2020. In fact, they're already in production and being manufactured ahead of the trials (in reverse fashion as compared to traditionally doing the trials first then mass producing). The government recognizes the urgency of getting a vaccine out to the public irrespective of how well it may work. Honestly, I think they have tempered expectations in how well it will work and we will need annual vaccinations. But it will be ready and available this year for the simple fact that they know the population won't get back to life as usual without the psychological comfort of knowing there is a vaccine available to alleviate the fear. Fauci has confirmed this timeline himself (and the fact that they are being manufactured already ahead of clinical trials).

With that in mind, I think Disney and the rest of the world starts to ease back to normal starting spring 2021. The world economy cannot continue to function in this manner, and Disney is only one example of constraints on the economy.
I don’t think you know how vaccines are created. It’s not like they can just wish on a genie.

I have grad school contacts working on a candidate. It’s showing “promise”. The issueis that the political pressure you mention will not allow for longitudinal studies over many years before 70% of us are vaccinated. So, will we need a booster later? Who knows?

ToTBellHop

When the pandemic ends. You can't do night time in the parks because the sun is necessary to destroy the virus. That's why protests at night were so terrible for super spreading... no sun is no UV rays is virus gets to live on stuff much longer.
LOL. What a foolish thing to say. I think all the sun has made you delirious. One would think all that UV light in Arizona, Florida, and Texas would be helping keep numbers down. It’s not ONLY spreading in A/C.

sbunit

I don’t think you know how vaccines are created. It’s not like they can just wish on a genie.

I have grad school contacts working on a candidate. It’s showing “promise”. The issueis that the political pressure you mention will not allow for longitudinal studies over many years before 70% of us are vaccinated. So, will we need a booster later? Who knows?

I personally think the vaccine will be on the weaker side and provide the population with limited protection in addition to the fact we will have to get a new one on an annual basis like the flu. That's just my guess based on what I read which I interpreted as, There will surely be a vaccine very soon, but how well it will work is very debatable (but it will be safe!)

ToTBellHop

I personally think the vaccine will be on the weaker side and provide the population with limited protection in addition to the fact we will have to get a new one on an annual basis like the flu. That's just my guess based on what I read which I interpreted as, There will surely be a vaccine very soon, but how well it will work is very debatable (but it will be safe!)
No one knows how effective any vaccine is. They don’t have any such results. You need to compare spread in a hotbed between those with the vaccine and those with placebo. They are only now moving toward such studies, and results will take a few months. At least.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You understand that politicians can’t “will” a vaccine into existence because they’re in deep poo according to the calendar, right?

That’s kinda how that’s playing right now.

I think that was obvious...and I’m not a doctor

oceanbreeze77

Unfortunately until there is a long term solution to this pandemic these night time shows are not going to happen. Ones such as Happily Ever After draw a very large crowd in front of the castle and even beyond that to where there is no possible way to social distance at all. The same can pretty much be said for the night time show in a lesser sense in Epcot. Rivers of Light and Fantasmic are much easier to solve as they are in a stadium type setting with seating and it can be controlled by closing off rows of seats.
also ideally they could assign seats in the way many movie theaters have converted to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom