Power outages.

CrashNet

Walt Disney World voluntarily shut down power from 1:00 to 1:30PM in an effort to alleviate stress on the power grid. The power was only shut down to the resorts and any non-essential support services and buildings.

aladdin2007

latest news report i just heard is disney world is shut down now.
so i dont know, we live in melbourne where its quite stormy but no power problems.

GrumpysGal

http://www.wftv.com/news/15415018/detail.html
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Power was slowly being restored after a massive power outage across Florida Tuesday afternoon. In Central Florida, outages were reported in Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola and Volusia Counties. Progress Energy expected to have most of its customers back online by 3p.m.
A Florida Power & Light spokesman says the widespread power outages affecting Florida started when the company shut down a nuclear reactor south of Miami for safety reasons, but did not explain further. Spokesman Bob Coleman says the company shut down two nuclear generators at its Turkey Point plant south of Miami.
"When that happened, the entire state of Florida began to run low on electricity," Coleman said. When the supply gets low, then some circuits have to be disconnected, he said.
He estimated that power should be up statewide within 10 hours.
The outages began shortly after 1p.m. Eastern time.
A Progress Energy spokesman said a loss of power from non-Progress units caused a shortage of electricity to its customers. An automated system kicked in that helps stabilize power statewide and that caused some of Progress' Central Florida customers to go dark. Progress expected most of its customers to have power back by 3p.m.
Reports to the Eyewitness News newsroom said power was off in parts of the downtown Orlando area for approximately 20 minutes Tuesday afternoon at about 1p.m. before coming back on. Winter Park officials say they went dark but power has since returned. Orange County Fire and Rescue reported outages from the near Disneyworld complex north to Apopka.
Orange County Schools lost power at Lake Sybelia, Riverside, Dommerich, Zellwood, Lake Weston, West Creek and East Lake elementary schools, Maitland and Hunter's Creek middle schools and Boone, Jones, Wekiva and Apopka high schools.
Police directed traffic in intersections in Daytona Beach where traffic lights stopped functioning. In Orlando, police said about 15 intersections went dark. Palm Bay police said the problems were mostly concentrated in the Southeast area along Babcock Street San Filippo, Foundation Parkway, Eldron, and Bayside Lakes. Election officials in Brevard County said power went out at a couple of polling sites in Tuesday's special election to replace resigned state representative Bob Allen but those outages were not expected to cause any problems.
At Orlando International Airport, a combination of the power outage and weather stopped departures between about 1p.m and 2p.m. The delay backed up about 30 flights. An official at the Miami International Airport said the facility is working on a generator backup but that no airline delays were reported.
The Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne cancelled Tuesday afternoon and evening classes.
The outages happened in a triangle from the Miami area, to Tampa to Jacksonville. By 2 p.m., most of northern downtown Miami appeared to be back to normal operation, including a campus of Miami-Dade Community College and numerous stores and businesses. Traffic lights were out for a short time but appeared to be back in regular operation. The U.S. courthouse complex, which includes a federal prison, experienced only a brief outage and is equipped with backup generators to keep the power flowing, officials said. Schools in Miami are on a soft lockdown. Officials don't want parents to arrive to pick up children and add to an already chaotic traffic situation.

Looks like WDW was affected, but got everything restored rather quickly!

Everyone in my family is safe at home in Miami. I am POSITIVE the biggest problem will be the traffic. No deaths have been reported, thankfully.

Traffic is already a problem in Mia on a daily basis....this just adds to it. I am sure its scary, but Mia officials are pretty good at these crisis things. I am sure everything will be under control. Cross your fingers!

maryszhi

Walt Disney World voluntarily shut down power from 1:00 to 1:30PM in an effort to alleviate stress on the power grid. The power was only shut down to the resorts and any non-essential support services and buildings.
This is so like when my friends and i were on cape cod and decided to drive to boston and take the ferry to new york city. The power went out when we were walking to times square. we had to walk ALL THE WAY TO THE FERRY WHICH WAS QUITE( and we were in that crowd on the brooklyn bridge, it was quite amuzing) FAR bc all the taxis couldnt get threw the crowds. at least we were safe and that is all that matters.:):):)
AGAIN BE SAFE :):):)

GrumpysGal

Whats that mean exactly. Not a word people say often.

I think I know what he means. LOL But I don't care what you see on TV, PEOPLE NEVER DRIVE WITH COURTESY IN MIAMI!!!! And I HIGHLY doubt in this crisis either! HAHAHA It's quite frustrating. Hope people get home safely.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
CNN is off on the numbers 680,000 to 800,000 without power.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_news/story/434132.html
Sounds like the reporter on the south park episode "Two days before the day after tomorrow"

Tom the anchorman: “Peril, crisis and fear tonight as what appears to be a massive flood has overtaken the town of Beaverton, Colorado, home of the world’s largest beaver dam. Earlier today, a break in the beaver dam which protected the town broke open, trapping people in their houses and destroying their lives.”

Mitch, the reporter: “Tom, I’m currently ten miles outside of Beaverton, unable to get inside the town proper. We do not have any reports of fatalities yet, but we believe that the death toll may be in the hundreds of millions. Beaverton has only a population of about 8,000, Tom, so this would be quite devastating.”

Tom: “Any word on how the survivors in the town are doing, Mitch?”

Mitch: “We’re not sure what’s exactly is going on inside the town of Beaverton, Tom, but we’re reporting that there’s looting, raping and, yes, even acts of cannibalism.”

Tom: “My God, you’ve actually seen people looting, raping and eating each other?!”

Mitch: “No, no we’ve haven’t actually seen it, Tom. We’re just reporting it.”

echoscot

Sounds like the reporter on the south park episode "Two days before the day after tomorrow"

Tom the anchorman: “Peril, crisis and fear tonight as what appears to be a massive flood has overtaken the town of Beaverton, Colorado, home of the world’s largest beaver dam. Earlier today, a break in the beaver dam which protected the town broke open, trapping people in their houses and destroying their lives.”

Mitch, the reporter: “Tom, I’m currently ten miles outside of Beaverton, unable to get inside the town proper. We do not have any reports of fatalities yet, but we believe that the death toll may be in the hundreds of millions. Beaverton has only a population of about 8,000, Tom, so this would be quite devastating.”

Tom: “Any word on how the survivors in the town are doing, Mitch?”

Mitch: “We’re not sure what’s exactly is going on inside the town of Beaverton, Tom, but we’re reporting that there’s looting, raping and, yes, even acts of cannibalism.”

Tom: “My God, you’ve actually seen people looting, raping and eating each other?!”

Mitch: “No, no we’ve haven’t actually seen it, Tom. We’re just reporting it.”

Thank you for that...it made me laugh.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
As a native Floridian may I take this opportunity to say:

panic-button.jpg

Also:

panicrun.gif

And Finally:

truesmoke.jpg

Reporting from Port Charlotte we have had power all day without interuption. It would appear as stated that most of the outages occured on the east coast.

By the way of commentary - I do enjoy watching the news stations trying to hype this thing. Fox just had two minutes of footage from a helicopter with the camera zoomed in on a parked truck carrying port-o-lets in an FPL substation. Real hard hitting journalism there. :ROFLOL: When I saw the portable poopers all I could think was "Oh crap."........

Try the veal. Tip your server. :D

mpoppins217

I'm in Gainesville (North-Central Florida) and my lab has power but we have an independent power source. Traffic lights being out is worrisome but I haven't ventured out to know what our power situation is. I actually had no clue about it until I came on here so thanks for looking out for us Floridians :wave:

Edit: Apparently we have lost power in some parts of town. Ew.

Just to add to that. I'm a student at UF in Gainesville and as far as I know there are no power problems here on campus and I haven't heard anything from anyone off campus. If there are any power problems here here I can imagine it's just the nasty nasty weather. Hope everyone down south is staying safe!

catne

. :ROFLOL: When I saw the portable poopers all I could think was "Oh crap."........

Pun intended, I assume? ROFL :lol:

So, sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory should be starting 'bout now...no power in Florida & now hotmail is down so southeast & northwest are all falling to pieces...lions & tigers & bears, oh my.

MsSnuzi

I was flipping through channels and stopped on FOX News, and yes, I realize it's FOX News, but if I hadn't come across this thread I would have thought you were in a state of emergency - they are talking about Level 2 and looting and nightfall is going to be a huge problem.

I get a different picture from my fellow WDWMagic family - but nonetheless, hope everyone is safe.

scpergj

I am in the southern edge of Jacksonville and we have not has so much as a flicker or a brown out. The sky is starting to look pretty evil though. The rain should hit just in time for me to be driving home in the deluge.

I'm guessing that you hadn't had the storm move through yet...Cecil, and parts of the westside (mostly west of Old Middleburg) lost power about 3:10. We just shut down the computers and servers and left about 3:40. Middleburg and Orange Park have power, so things are fine at home.

When the storm moved through, it was quite spectacular - real heavy winds, dark clouds, a bit of small hail...and we saw some circulation in a cloud that dropped down between our building and the hanger next to us...didn't develop into anything, but it was fascinating to watch!

Kevin

catne

I was flipping through channels and stopped on FOX News, and yes, I realize it's FOX News, but if I hadn't come across this thread I would have thought you were in a state of emergency - they are talking about Level 2 and looting and nightfall is going to be a huge problem.

I get a different picture from my fellow WDWMagic family - but nonetheless, hope everyone is safe.

What, you doubt FOX news? But they're the home of fair and balanced reporting,doncha know!:hammer:

Ditto on all our Florida forum friends staying safe!

maryszhi

panic-button.jpg

Also:

panicrun.gif

And Finally:

truesmoke.jpg

Reporting from Port Charlotte we have had power all day without interuption. It would appear as stated that most of the outages occured on the east coast.

By the way of commentary - I do enjoy watching the news stations trying to hype this thing. Fox just had two minutes of footage from a helicopter with the camera zoomed in on a parked truck carrying port-o-lets in an FPL substation. Real hard hitting journalism there. :ROFLOL: When I saw the portable poopers all I could think was "Oh crap."........

At least they have portable bathrooms. When we go to cape cod, we a;ways go before we get in line for the bridge. But ive seen people pull over and well, hide behind trees, at least most do. this one time i saw a little boy go over to the side. i felt bad...i mean people were pointing and laughing and well stareing,..i m like please find a tree. the best part...the parents went over to where he was and like parked between some trees....

Im at UCF in Orlando and we've had no power problems here, just bad wind. I was walking to class and two huge palm branches were ripped off a tree right in front of me. I didn't even know about the outages until I came here, I think its mostly down in Miami.

Edit: Did I just miss all the storms or something? I'm watching channel 13 and they really aren't saying anything about storms. The worst rain I saw all day was a short sun shower a few hours ago.

Chape19714

No problems at WDW. There are many blackouts around the state. The power companies say that everyone should have power by 5:40 tonight.

WhatJaneSays

I love that on the big networks they are reporting something like 4.5 million people without power ... and down here in FPL territory it's being reported at about 750,000 people. Out there (CNN/Fox/whoever) they seem to think Florida has turned into a third-world country. I mean really people, we deal with days to weeks of no power in the middle of hurricane season I don't think the world will end if the Treasure Coast has to cook their food on the grill instead of in the oven tonight.

Anyway, I'm in Vero Beach and so far we've had a few minor hits but no outages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom