Potential updates to Avatar Flight of Passage

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
From an interview with James Cameron at Variety -

On the topic of family trips, Variety asks Cameron whether “Pandora – The World of Avatar” – the “Avatar”-themed land at Walt Disney World in Orlando – might be getting a water ride to tie in with the sequel. “When Bob Iger came back a couple weeks ago, I did send him an email and say, ‘You know, we can do “Avatar 2” and 3 motifs and put them into the physical hardware of “Avatar Flight of Passage” [a ride in which visitors can experience flying on a banshee],’” he reveals. “He liked that idea. So nothing has been decided. But, you know, we would like to carry that along and update it from time to time with things that flow back out of the new movies. Because I think there’s a good synergy between the physical base where you can go and just kind of meditate and be on Pandora and how the movies progress the story and bring in new imagery.”

Sir_Cliff

On the topic of family trips, Variety asks Cameron whether “Pandora – The World of Avatar” – the “Avatar”-themed land at Walt Disney World in Orlando – might be getting a water ride to tie in with the sequel. “When Bob Iger came back a couple weeks ago, I did send him an email and say, ‘You know, we can do “Avatar 2” and 3 motifs and put them into the physical hardware of “Avatar Flight of Passage” [a ride in which visitors can experience flying on a banshee],’” he reveals. “He liked that idea. So nothing has been decided. But, you know, we would like to carry that along and update it from time to time with things that flow back out of the new movies. Because I think there’s a good synergy between the physical base where you can go and just kind of meditate and be on Pandora and how the movies progress the story and bring in new imagery.”

This is the sort of thing Disney should do on a more routine basis.

I suppose we should hope the new movies are a success as it might encourage Disney (with the prodding of James Cameron) to flesh out the land a little more. Thankfully this one doesn't seem to have the kind of timeline issues that box in Galaxy's Edge.

JohnD

I'm fine with that. Similar to Star Tours. Pandora could use another attraction, however. Or maybe improve upon NRJ. Just one AA isn't going to cut it, no matter how technologically advanced.

Last edited:

celluloid

The randomization variable is fun, but as Star Tours shows, the rideability is not as high as inititally thought.

I would always rather one really great experience with all of that budget put into one.

UNCgolf

It would be great, and James Cameron's involvement might actually make it happen. I don't think they'd even consider spending the money otherwise.

They need this on Smuggler's Run far more than they need it on Flight of Passage, but I don't think it'll happen there without that external push. And it would admittedly be harder/more expensive to do new missions for Smuggler's Run than FoP because of the user inputs (as rudimentary as they are).

gorillaball

It would be great to see this happen. Wood be interesting if this was done as a new version, or if there would be different trips as we see in Star Tours. Either way, good to see Cameron and Iger communicating on this.
Different trips all the way - you have already invested the time to get version A running, it's pointless to scrap that entirely.
Along with Flight of Passage I'm looking at you Soarin', Mission Space, Smuggler's Run (although in this case I wouldn't cry if version A disappeared).

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It would be great, and James Cameron's involvement might actually make it happen. I don't think they'd even consider spending the money otherwise.

They need this on Smuggler's Run far more than they need it on Flight of Passage, but I don't think it'll happen there without that external push. And it would admittedly be harder/more expensive to do new missions for Smuggler's Run than FoP because of the user inputs (as rudimentary as they are).

Haha, you call the "button-slapping-fest" inputs? About our 6th ride, my wife and I had 4 Brazilians with limited English skills at the other stations. We got to see all the sparks and negative credit balances.

UNCgolf

Haha, you call the "button-slapping-fest" inputs? About our 6th ride, my wife and I had 4 Brazilians with limited English skills at the other stations. We got to see all the sparks and negative credit balances.

My point was that it requires different and more complicated programming. Even though it's a terrible video game, it is still a video game with inputs (rudimentary ones, as I said) which requires more work than simply creating a new ride video and synching the motion profile.

The ability to update the software on interactive/video attractions should have been a major internal feature from the start. Instead of needing to create a whole new attraction for a billion dollars, you could breathe new life an existing one for significantly less money.

The only catch-22 here is rides are designed to last for years without significant hardware upgrades, which would add to the cost. This is why Toy Story Mania still runs on Windows XP and will likely never receive new games. Which is why new content needs to come out quickly.

Cmdr_Crimson

The new Flight of Passage now with 50% more "UH's"
2rc33hu3e6y41.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom